Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2019

Wireless Microphones

Hey Everyone,

It has been quite some time since I have been on here. Completely new look and format, Wow. Anyways, I am looking for a decent dual wireless handheld system that wont break the bank. Preferably the smaller profile receivers. That way, I can have two in a single slot rack. I am a Shure guy, and the system I was looking at was the Shure BLX288 w/2 PG58's. Problem is the receiver is just slightly too long to all two units in the rack, side by side. Plus $549, is a little more than what I want to spend. I play live music, but these will mostly be used for karaoke shows, so, you may understand my reasoning for a little value. There is a lot of choices out there and just wondering, if anyone has some real time into any of the units, and could suggest a decent system? I have used the AKG dual, with ok success, but quality is poor, and just don't stand up in time.  Any info and help would be great. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 29, 2017

Re: Wireless Microphones

I also use Shure mics, but I didn't want to pay the $549....especially since I'm an amateur Karaoke / Performer (Acoustic Guitar).  I just purchased the Gemini UHF-6200M Dual Handheld Wireless System ($199).  I will be using it, for an upcoming karaoke gig (Oct 6th).  I will be sure, to let you know how they work!

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

While *not* easy on the wallet, I have *tremendous* respect for the quality & durability of the Line-6 wireless digital system.  Our church has 12 receivers, with a mix of hand-held & head-set mics (transmitters) as well as a few additional body-pack transmitters (e.g. for guitar, computer audio, etc.).  Quality of sound is superb; equipment build is solid.  Zero interference issues.  There are only two 'design' issues:  (1) Can't have more than 12/14 channels (newer versions). (2) The battery door latch on body-pack is a bit fragile; we have 3 of them with rubber-bands to hold the battery door down (after ~ six years of weekly use).

Oh, despite the literature, rechargeable batteries work just fine for 4-6 hours of usage.  We have "smart-chargers" which indicate when the batteries are failing so there is no question about when to replace them.  (24 batteries; replacing an average of about 3-4 per year now for the cheaper "Tenergy" brand rechargeables.)

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2019

Hey Guys, thanks for responding. I have used Gemini stuff in the past. I recently tried the Behringer wireless, but they don't have the receiver yet, or it was discontinued, not sure which. Behringer usually provides some bang for the buck. The only option was through USB in the computer, or if you own one of the Behringer wireless ready systems that the dongle plugs in to. Well, it had terrible latency. Sent it back.

I forgot about the Line 6 stuff. I love their guitar wireless, which I own some of. I ended up ordering another Shure unit, plus the XD-V35 unit. Not exactly what I had in mind, but will somehow manage to squeeze them into my SKB Flight gig case. The Shure unit at $379 and the Line 6 at $300, I actually spent more than originally planned, but excited to try the Line 6. I just cant believe there is anything out there by these bigger companies that fall in between. There is a lot of crazy foreign stuff made that you can find on Amazon, with a smaller footprint, but just don't have the time to do the trial and error stuff. Problem is the support or warranty that these companies don't provide. Always in search of the less is more approach.