Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raregroover
Registered since

Jun 13, 2011

Wireless mic-ing of ceremonies

Hello out there,

Can anyone offer up some suggestions for a decent wireless mic system for this function? I've never done this and it turns out I may have to in 2 weeks. Would need a proper wireless mic as well for your typical announcing, as I've always rented had them provided. In addition, what are your recommendations for wireless mics on their own (without secondary mic/transmitters, etc). I am not looking to spend a ton, just something of good value that works. So far I've been considering the Audio Technica 700 series, with one Mic and one transmitter.

I see there is a ton of info out there but I think I am in a better place here asking. I am using one L1 Model 2, and no Tone Match.

Thanks again.
13 REPLIES 13
eliteentertainm
Registered since

Nov 24, 2010

Re: Wireless mic-ing of ceremonies

Hi,

I have a Sennheiser wireless mic which produces a great sound, really warm for vocals - they are a little more expensive but are worth the outlay if you are likely to use often. I also have Audio Technica wired mics that my karaoke singers use. Again, they sound great, offer really good value and appear to be indestructible!
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I use a shure wireless sm58 on a short mic stand that pics up the officiant, bride an groom. I set it where it's going to be in the middle of all of them. It's a very sensitive mic. Here are a couple of videos of it in use: I would use no B1's during this.

Look at this one at about the eight second mark by her lower dress you can see the mic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...youtube_gdata_player

bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

I am a huge fan of the Shure PGX series wireless microphones. I have a PGXD14 with the bodypack, lavaliere and wireless microphone. I bought the guitar/bass wireless in eBay for around $300 then bought a lavaliere mic to fit the bodypack and then the wireless microphone for the unit separately. I know have a wireless system I can use for the ceremony with the lapel mic, then move the unit to the reception area and use the wireless hand held microphone or use the bodypack as a remote send to my compact(s) across the room. Very versatile and affordable at the same time. I also have an Audio Technica wireless microphone I am very found of as well. It is an ATW 2120 unit. All of these units run off of AA batteries, so there is no need to carry 9 volts around with you.
raregroover
Registered since

Jun 13, 2011

Thanks for all of this feedback and I will be checking them all out. I am just discovering terms like bodypacks and lavaliers, so I'll certainly be learning more about those and will check out that system.

Speaking of the Shure sm58, I just happened to be speaking with a friend on the phone who told me that that's what he's used for years and he was raving about it...said that thing has taken a beating and has been reliable for years.

Good vids Dynamite. I see now how I could just set up a small stand like that after all. I have to say, because of your first link I discovered one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a wedding..it was the link showing top right on your page...lol!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...v82I&feature=related
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Line 6 XDV70 Lapel... my vote (what works for me).
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

[ON SOAPBOX]

I do not understand why the officiant faces the people while the Bride & Groom have their back to the people.

The officiant is merely moderating the ceremony but it's the Bride & Groom who are exchanging the vows and marrying each other.

Why is the officiant the center of attention??

Turn it around, for goodness sake. Who cares about "speak now"? Have the B&G facing the assembly, the officiant with their backs to the assembly, and hopefully one step below them. Let's be able to see and hear the Bride & Groom as they face their friends and family.

(You have no idea how much this frosts me!!!)

[OFF SOAPBOX]

Regardless of the specific brand chosen, the mic head will be your crucial purchase. Omni? Uni? And those two choices will be predicated on where the lav or handheld is placed.

Again, regardless of the brand, get both styles of capsules; omni and uni. Then you be set for any eventuality. Basically, it's not the what, it's the how.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

Unlike Cap, I don't have the authority to prescribe where the couple stands and whom they face, but I do use microphones as follows:

I put a lav. mic on the officiant; I put a lav. mic on the groom (picks up both bride and groom as they exchange vows, etc.), and provide a handheld wireless mic as needed for readers or soloists to use.

The mics I have:
1 Sennheiser EW112-PG3-G SK100 Bodypack transmitters w/ EK 100 receiver

1 Sennheiser EW100ENGG3 SK100 Bodypack transmitter w/ EK 100 receiver AND the SKP 100 XLR Plug-on Transmitter.

1 Shure PGX-14/93 wireless lav. mic transmitter and receiver.

The great thing about using the Sennheiser mics is that they enable me to use my L1's wirelessly as well. I simply connect the transmitter to the ToneMatch (Master Out) and connect the receiver to the L1 Compact that I use as my satellite speaker. I've used it several times now with great results. I can also use the Audio Out from the L1 speaker instead of the Master Out from the ToneMatch. Either way, the sound has been great!
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

Media4u2: Oh, I don't have the authority either, however as the customer's Planner, Consultant, and Musical Host, I do have the audacity to recommend it. It's starting to catch on.

"It's the way we've always done it." is the lamest excuse for lack of vision.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

I use AKG lav mics. One on the groom and one on the officiant. I personally don't like a microphone in the view of the guests, photos or the videos.
The biggest challenge is wind.I often place them behind the ties.
Another issue is drop out at distance and the AKG's were prone to dropouts at distance or with a wall of people standing between me and them.
I found antenna replacements for the stock units on ebay that eliminated that problem altogether.

Bottom line, whatever you get, you have to work with them for a while to figure what works and what doesn't work.
Then you do another ceremony where the environment is completely different and you learn all over again. Nothing beats hands on experience.