cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loveinthemix
Registered since

Sep 23, 2010

XLR input of Compact

Is it ok to use the channel 1 XLR input on the Compact for an audio signal rather than a mic?

Specifically I want to use thiswhich is what i use to remote speakers.

Please let me know if line one can be used for an input besides a mic.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: XLR input of Compact

Hi Dan, (loveinthemix),

Your link is not working (sold out). But if you are talking about connecting the xlr output from the receiver of the

Sennheiser ew 112-p G3 Omni Lavalier Microphone Wireless System

to the Compact - the physical / electronic connection should be fine. From the specs I found it the receiver has an XLR output, and that should be okay. The Compact Channel 1 Preset is for vocal microphones, and essentially, that is what the Sennheiser is: a vocal microphone.

Now the bigger issue is probably going to be feedback. This is an omnidirectional lavalier microphone and of all the types of microphones you can connect to an L1®, this tends to be the one most prone to feedback.

Could you talk about your application?
loveinthemix
Registered since

Sep 23, 2010

yikes, sorry about the link, it was working fine for me when i posted it. Yes, that is the wireless system I'm talking about.

Well, I'm glad you brought the feedback issue up.

I use this system to remote speakers wirelessly, that is the primary use. I wouldn't worry about using the mic input for a mic signal, I figured that's what it's for.

So knowing now that the receiver will be getting an audio signal from the transmitter, does that change your OK of using the XLR input?

However, I am glad you brought up the feedback since I am sure that at some point I will want to use the lav mic for ceremonies.

So I guess to summarize:
1. Does your response change with the understanding that my current need to ask this question is for a non-mic signal? I'm making the terminology up. Maybe the receiver converts it to a mic level signal anyway so that shouldn't change the usability.

2. If I do want to use this Sennheiser as a lav mic for ceremonies, speeches, etc. what should i consider to avoid feedback issues. I know I have an outdoor ceremony coming up where I will want to specifically use the Sennheiser lav mic and the compact. Although i was considering setting up the Compact behind where the guests would be seated, pointed towards the altar, as I thought that might help avoid feedback issues since the mic will be so far from the compact.

Right now I've only used a Shure PG58 and SM58 with any Bose gear and have had no feedback issues.

Thanks!
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Dan

quote:
Originally posted by loveinthemix:
yikes, sorry about the link, it was working fine for me when i posted it. Yes, that is the wireless system I'm talking about.

Well, I'm glad you brought the feedback issue up.

I use this system to remote speakers wirelessly, that is the primary use. I wouldn't worry about using the mic input for a mic signal, I figured that's what it's for.

So knowing now that the receiver will be getting an audio signal from the transmitter, does that change your OK of using the XLR input?

Nope - it looks fine to to me as long as you are actually using the microphone as the source for the transmitter (feedback issues aside).

If you are using a different source with the transmitter, well - you'll have to try it out and see how it sounds. It may be a little strange because the Compact Channel 1 is optimized for a vocal microphone.

I can't tell for sure from the specifications, but it looks like the receiver also has a ¼ inch jack line-level output. If you are using the wireless system to send a remote signal carrying music, you might get better results using the ¼ inch jack output to the Compact Channel 2 with the ToneMatch® switch set to Line Level (down).

quote:

However, I am glad you brought up the feedback since I am sure that at some point I will want to use the lav mic for ceremonies.

So I guess to summarize:
1. Does your response change with the understanding that my current need to ask this question is for a non-mic signal? I'm making the terminology up. Maybe the receiver converts it to a mic level signal anyway so that shouldn't change the usability.

See my note above.

Summary:

If the input to the transmitter is a microphone - use Compact Channel 1

If the input to the transmitter is a full-range music source - use the Compact Channel 2.
quote:

2. If I do want to use this Sennheiser as a lav mic for ceremonies, speeches, etc. what should i consider to avoid feedback issues. I know I have an outdoor ceremony coming up where I will want to specifically use the Sennheiser lav mic and the compact. Although i was considering setting up the Compact behind where the guests would be seated, pointed towards the altar, as I thought that might help avoid feedback issues since the mic will be so far from the compact.

If you put the talker with the microphone behind the Compact, that might work okay. You'll have to try it.

I have had absolutely terrfic results with a Compact and a wireless system using a head-worn microphone.

The lavalier microphones I have used were much more prone to feedback.

quote:

Right now I've only used a Shure PG58 and SM58 with any Bose gear and have had no feedback issues.

Thanks!

Does that cover all the bases?
loveinthemix
Registered since

Sep 23, 2010

hmmm, possibly.

I just want to explain that the way I use this Sennheiser system to connect two remote powered speakers to the L1, is that I take the XLR audio out from each L1M1 channel and hook up a wireless transmitter with a 1/8" to XLR cable. Then I hook up the receivers via 1/8" to XLR cable to inputs on each remote powered speaker.

I don't use the lav mic at all. the transmitter has an audio cable attached instead of the lav mic.

I figured I could go from the receiver to any of the channel 2 inputs, I was just curious what might happen if I tried it on the channel 1.

I guess if I don't have a risk of ruining the equipment I could just try it out for myself.

Since you brought up the feedback issue, I was asking about positioning and other tips on how to avoid feedback using these lav mics, because I do want to be able to do that as well.

Let me know if you already understood the above before you responded.

Thanks
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Dan,

I'm pretty sure that I understood what you meant when I replied above.

You get to experiment now. Will you let us know how it goes?

Thanks.
Dan_Cornett
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by loveinthemix:
... I was asking about positioning and other tips on how to avoid feedback using these lav mics, because I do want to be able to do that as well...
Most lavalier mics are omni directional, which is fine for TV or video recording (where the sound is not amplified locally). However, an "over the ear" mic is far, far better for "live" amplified sound -- particularly if that headset is NOT omni-directional.

They can range from $80 to $400+ (for the earpiece alone -- not including a transmitter or receiver); the most versatile for are those which go over a single ear and are real thin. The kind which go over both ears are often better for those who move around vigorously while using the mic (e.g.: aerobics, punk rock, etc.). You might have to get an adapter for the cable to fit your transmitter. The expensive ones are consistently good; the less expensive vary widely in quality of sound.