Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

best portable pa system for my needs

Hi.  I was a member of the forum years ago but now I have a question.  I am selling my F-1 system with sub and I would like to buy a more portable system as I get older.  I play live with kind of a one man band sound.  I use the Beat Buddy drum machine and a Porchboard bass unit so the system I need has to have adequate bass response.  The S-1 speaker sounds great but can't handle my bass load.  I was told I could use a S-1 and connect a Packlite to a B-2 bass speaker.  Could I use 2 S-1 units with a Packlite and the B-2?  I was also looking at the L-1 iS model with the B-2.  I thought with the S-1 I could just bring this to a smaller venue when I wanted to just vocal and acoustic guitar.  When I play larger venues such as an outdoor patio party I could use all 3 speakers.  Does this make sense?

8 REPLIES 8
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: best portable pa system for my needs

Hi Randy,

Welcome (back).

Randy posted:

Hi.  I was a member of the forum years ago but now I have a question.  I am selling my F-1 system with sub and I would like to buy a more portable system as I get older. 

It sounds like you should keep your F1 Model 812.

I play live with kind of a one man band sound.  I use the Beat Buddy drum machine and a Porchboard bass unit so the system I need has to have adequate bass response.  The S-1 speaker sounds great but can't handle my bass load. 

Agreed, you need to look at something other than the S1 Pro or plan to add something to it.

I was told I could use a S-1 and connect a Packlite to a B-2 bass speaker.  Could I use 2 S-1 units with a Packlite and the B-2? 

Short answer - nope. The Line Outputs of the S1 Pro are full range and there's no crossover or EQ in the A1 PackLite/B2 to get them to perform like a subwoofer.

I was also looking at the L-1 iS model with the B-2.  I thought with the S-1 I could just bring this to a smaller venue when I wanted to just vocal and acoustic guitar.  When I play larger venues such as an outdoor patio party I could use all 3 speakers.  Does this make sense?

For what you're doing, I would keep the F1 Model 812. It's only 45 pounds.  If you're considering an S1 Pro(or two) plus an A1 Packlite and B2, that's 16 + 3 + 40 = 59 pounds (or 75 if you add a second S1 Pro).

The S1 Pro is great for what it is but it sounds like you need more. If you want to use the S1 Pro systems then pair them up with the F1 Subwoofer.  

You could get an L1 Compact, which does okay with a PorchBoard (I use one too) and I have to assume it's okay with the Beat Buddy too.  But if you are used to using the F1 Model 812 with F1 Subwoofer I don't think you'll be happy. 

Try using the F1 Model 812 on a stand without the F1 Subwoofer. 

ST

Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

If you've got the money and stamina to carry it around, the L1S with a B2 (or 2 B1s) would probably work well for you.

Another option that's easier to carry would be a pair of Bose S1 Pros (on stands) and a subwoofer (or two) like my Behringer 1200Ds...

Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

That sounds interesting.  How to I equalize the bass to not go through the S-1's and only to the sub?

Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

The subs have a high-pass filter built in. 

I plug my mixer into 1200D then xlr from 1200D to S1...

And although I also have a QSC Touchmix16 ($1300), my little Behringer 1002b $99 mixer works very well for smaller gigs with 5 or fewer inputs.  And it can be powered by 3 rechargeable 9v batteries and provide phantom power too - very nice to have the all battery option for smaller gigs that don't need the subwoofer.

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Randy,

The Behringer B1200 D weighs 43 pounds. Your F1 Model 812 is only 2 pounds more.

ST

Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

To tell you the truth, although an L1S will "fill a bigger hall", I like the sound of a subwoofer+two S1 Pros on stands better...

Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Aloha e @Randy 4. An Ampeg BA108 bass guitar amplifier, with an external crossover makes an excellent subwoofer for a Bose S1 Pro.

Registered since

Sep 26, 2018

Like you I’m at the stage where lightweight is good. I have an L1s and an earlier L1 m1. I find the latter a bit heavy and awkward. The horseshoe power base is difficult to lift in the back of a car and as I’m just medium height 5’7”, I have to crook my arm to walk with it which is why I bought the L1s. I have 2 B1s and a B2. Although the B2 is great it is also heavy and bulky so I usually gig with 1 or 2 B1s and they are fine for the vast majority of the gigs I do. I have an S1 pro which I use in care homes, acoustic gigs and in my home. It is brilliant but a different animal altogether.