Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Re: compact for 100

I'd also point out that this phenomenon is just that; a phenomenon. Out of one hundred-plus gigs with a Compact, it's not the norm. And that's why it stood out to me.

Like Oldghm, I've come to appreciate the 'plug in and play' option more over the years. Less can be more and by that I mean guitar, vocal mic and play. The challenge becomes less on the technical side and more on the performance side of things.
PMWIZARD
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2006

ST you hit it right on the nose. That is exactly how I was thinking of doing the setup and using the compact. Thanks everyone for your comments because it helped me to go to the compact. I also like the quick setup and tear down I have seen in the videos.
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Do you control your vocal volume simply by adjusting the Compact level for the mic?

quote:
Originally posted by Oldghm:
Hi PMWIZARD,

I rarely use the T1 with my Compact. On some gigs I use a harmonizer between my mic and the mic channel on the compact and it offers additional tweaking possibilities. Most of the time I keep it simple and go direct with my mic and guitar.

I am fortunate to also have a Model II and, the Compact direct is not as refined as the Model II with the T1, but I don't think the audience knows that.

For small rooms, quick in and out, it's hard to beat the simplicity of the Compact.

O..
Not applicable

I love my compact...plug & play. I use a H1 harmonizer on the vocal channel and a R1 reverb pedal also on that channel. For lack of a better word....it sounds ******* beautiful and no one ever needs me to turn up. It fills a room but....I did experience the crowd that one time and I choose not to raise my volume. I learned quickly that they were going to converse and I didn't want to stop that. It was the hostess asking me to be louder. Don't misunderstand the Compact...I am so happy with it. It never feeds back and is a soloists dream even dry (no FX) The blue power lights cool too.
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

quote:
I had my compact for 50 people and they won.

Hi gary,

You know, sometimes and at some venues, people want to talk with their friends more than they want to hear us.
It's nothing personal, being sociable is a good thing, and we can be a pleasant backdrop for that.
Play at a volume that is comfortable for you, enjoy yourself and your sound, don't compete.
This is what we strive to do, and I think it works for us.
captacoustic
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

If I have it right, PMWizard's original post might have more to do with a certain acoustic issue vs getting louder to beat the crowd noise.

The experience I had had more to do with a weird sort of 'swallowed up' thing. So much so that I was convinced nobody was hearing me. But I was wrong; some people at least were hearing me.

There's no winning the cocktail conversation wars. If you up the volume, so do they. Until they're shouting at each other.

I try to read expressions as much as possible. Am I getting a frown of annoyance or a smile of enjoyment? Sometimes people will walk by with a smile and a thumbs up and I figure I'm in the right ballpark.
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

I love my compact...plug & play.[/quote

Hi

My compact with my Allen & Heath zed10fx sounds just awesome for most of my gigs. I also have a Model2 which I rarely use now unless I do a larger venue than 100 people 2 vocalist's with Keyboard and background tracks. No feed back , just wonderful sound.

Aj Casali
Class Entertainment.
"music is neither new or old....it just 'is"
PMWIZARD
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2006

You are correct that loudness was not the issue, but the instrument as to feedback. Also, doesn't the compact lower the volume of the backing tracks when using the mike, but does it also do that from the instrument channel?
PMWIZARD
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2006

I agree Captbanjo that I also read the crowd when playing music. If the listeners have to get close to each other, than I am to loud.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Wayne (captbanjo),

quote:
Originally posted by captbanjo:
Do you control your vocal volume simply by adjusting the Compact level for the mic?

quote:
Originally posted by Oldghm:
Hi PMWIZARD,

I rarely use the T1 with my Compact. On some gigs I use a harmonizer between my mic and the mic channel on the compact and it offers additional tweaking possibilities. Most of the time I keep it simple and go direct with my mic and guitar.

I am fortunate to also have a Model II and, the Compact direct is not as refined as the Model II with the T1, but I don't think the audience knows that.

For small rooms, quick in and out, it's hard to beat the simplicity of the Compact.

O..

I'm chiming in that because I'm usually several feet from the Compact. I like to control the vocal volume at my fingertips or feet. Since I prefer to use a microphone that requires phantom power, and use guitar amp modelling in most of my shows, I need a little more than I can get from the Compact alone.

I also like to keep things consistent in my set up across shows. So for me, I like to have the same gear in front of me regardless of which L1® I have behind me. So in my mind the interchangeable part is the L1 (Compact or one of the full sized L1®s OR even someone else's PA).

lots of detail

Like Oldghm, I also have a harmonizer/processor. I use it between my microphone & guitar and the Compact. TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX. That is: Microphone and guitar plug into the harmonizer/processor and I can have a single output (or separate lines for vocal and microphone if I choose), that I can run to the Compact.

I don't actually use the harmony stuff, (neither good nor bad, just not me right now). But I do like that the harmonizer/processor has
  • Phantom power for my microphone (Neuman KMS 105).
  • Some nice microphone processing (they call it Adaptive Tone).
  • TC-Electronic guitar amp modelling (I play electric guitar around 50% of the time even in my solo shows).
  • It sits on the floor at my feet allows foot switching for the amp modelling.
  • The big one - I can mix and control the relative volumes of the guitar and the microphone with a unit at my feet.

I usually have the Compact far enough away from me that using the individual channel volume controls would be inconvenient. As a result, I almost always have something between me and the Compact to give me phantom power and to help me manage the mix of microphone/guitar. That something used to be the T1® all of the time. Now I use the TC=Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX all of the time, and most of the time I'll use the T1® too.

Here's the breakdown -
  • Travelling super light - and going for the fastest set up possible - then Compact alone. It's rare that I have to set up THIS fast.
  • Sitting-in for a quick set with other people in a small venue - Compact with TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX. In this situation I'm probably playing lead guitar and I like to have the amp modelling. I may or may not be doing vocals, but if I am, then I can set up the microphone quickly. If I didn't feel like dragging in a microphone stand, if there is one already on the stage, I can use that in moments. My microphone stand is pre-wired for my T1® and Compact, so that's quick to use, but not something I like to drag out and set up at someone else's show. If I want my T1® then I use my own mic stand. That way I don't have to find a place for place for the T1®. I would not put the T1® on the stage floor.
  • For my small gigs, I use the Compact and the TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX for guitar effects, and the T1® for mixing and vocal processing.
  • For my larger gigs, I use the Model II and the TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX for guitar effects, and the T1® for mixing and vocal processing.

If I was doing an acoustic guitar (only) plus vocals show I could run direct to the Compact and use a dynamic microphone. I've been there and done that, but if I'm setting up a microphone stand anyway - I'm all wired up to use the T1® and would typically use it.

I hope that there's something in this post for you Wayne.

edit- punctuation