cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

iPod, or Droid into Model II

Can I go directly from my Droid or iPod to my Model II.
1/8" out the Droid to the 1/4" in on the Model II.What cable, jack or adapter?

This is for backup purposes only. I normally run my iPod or Droid through my mixer and out the mixer to the Model II 1/4".

My thought would be using the iPod or Droid direct into the Model II the rare event the mixer somehow fails.
22 REPLIES 22
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: iPod, or Droid into Model II

Hi Lou,

Ideally, you will run the source device (Droid, iPad) into the T1® like this.

click the picture for all the details.

I know that you know this - I'm writing for everyone reading along.

To your question - "Can I go directly from my Droid or iPod to my Model II.
1/8" out the Droid to the 1/4" in on the Model II."

To go directly to the Model II Power Stand success really depends on the cable you use.

This cable below could work (but I don't like these because the short the Left + Right from the source together). Test before you rely on it.

Hosa CMP105

The only really good way to do it is through a T1® or a mixer or similar device. Simple cables and adapters don't do this properly.

VERY IMPORTANT

This will NOT work

Hosa CMS110

quote:
Originally posted by Lou 😧
Can I go directly from my Droid or iPod to my Model II.
1/8" out the Droid to the 1/4" in on the Model II.What cable, jack or adapter?

This is for backup purposes only. I normally run my iPod or Droid through my mixer and out the mixer to the Model II 1/4".

My thought would be using the iPod or Droid direct into the Model II the rare event the mixer somehow fails.

How's that Lou?

ST
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

This is disappointing but appreciated.
My Model I would accept an iPad, etc without the necessity of a T1 or other mixer.
Thank you,yet again, for your expert advice.
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

What is the reason that the bottom cable would not work. Would it just not produce the best sound. Or would it just not work at all. I had just recently bought a cable vary similar to the bottom one with duo rings.

For the exact purpose that Lou spoke of. I bought a good one as well. Is it because the first is balanced and second mono. Again can it work at all or just not the best option.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi nextgen1,

MikeZ-at-Bose explains it here:

Can I use a stereo source with the Model II Power Stand Analog Input (short answer... 'no').

When I tried it - just to check it out, I got NO sound, and others have reported that they got some sound but it was unusable.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

If my senior mind is not playing tricks on me... I recall Cap posting something about a small unit which can convert a stereo signal to a mono signal which could subsequently be plugged directly into a Madel II.
I would like to find that information.
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

Ouch that's to bad I had bought this cable. I like to buy well for my use. I guess I will need to to reorder. This is what I bought for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Lou,

quote:
Originally posted by Lou 😧
If my senior mind is not playing tricks on me... I recall Cap posting something about a small unit which can convert a stereo signal to a mono signal which could subsequently be plugged directly into a Madel II.
I would like to find that information.

I put together some notes about these kinds of devices here:

Summing Devices

The note covers all kinds of scenarios like DJ or other Mixer with stereo XLR outputs - through to the scenario you mentioned. I had misplaced that article in my memory until just now. Sorry. I should have mentioned it sooner.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi nextgen1,

quote:
Originally posted by nextgen1:
Ouch that's to bad I had bought this cable. I like to buy well for my use. I guess I will need to to reorder. This is what I bought for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I found when I followed the link.

--?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--

And no, I wouldn't expect this to work. The Model II Power Stand is a balanced input. If you run a stereo signal into a balanced input, the left and right sides will cancel each other.

Check out the notes here: Summing Devices
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Lou D,

Rapco/Horizon makes a few handy DI's specifically for this purpose (iPod, laptop, CD deck).

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-379-ltiglblox.aspx You'd still have to use an XLR-to-TRS cable to go from one of these straight into a Model II base.

I've got the LTI-100 in my goodie box and have used it a few times with guest singers who bring backing tracks on iPods.