weeo
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2015

multi effects

Hi, just got a Boss ME 80 multi effects and although I'm quite happy with the clean sounds through the T1, the distortion sounds are not so good. Has anyone else got this problem? I'm thinking on using a small amp and micing it but that means more gear to lug around. Any ideas ?

9 REPLIES 9
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: multi effects

Hi weeo,

I'm looking at page three of the Boss ME 80 Users Guide.

It looks like you want to connect the Record Out / Phones jack to the T1® Channel 4/5 to get the guitar amp simulator. If you are running from the Guitar Amp Outputs, you won't be getting the amp sims.

Boss ME 80-1Boss ME-80 REC OUT PHONES

With a cable like this.

I would probably use this T1® Preset.

How does that sound?

ST

weeo
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2015

Thanks for reply. Problem is I use these ( 4/5 )  for my ipad.  Would it be ok to use 2/3 . ?

Thank you

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Sure, that should work. (2/3)

ST

weeo
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2015

Thanks for your help ST, I'll give it a try .

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Hi weeo,

Regarding the connection to the T1:

ST posted:

It looks like you want to connect the Record Out / Phones jack to the T1® Channel 4/5 to get the guitar amp simulator. If you are running from the Guitar Amp Outputs, you won't be getting the amp sims.

and
weeo posted:

Thanks for reply. Problem is I use these ( 4/5 )  for my ipad.  Would it be ok to use 2/3 . ?

to which ST replied:

ST posted:

Sure, that should work. (2/3)

This would be costing 2 T1 Input channels.

I've just had a look at the Manual (ST's link to it made it easy and quick) and I noticed this:

REC OUT:PHONES jack

Normally this would mean that it's the presence of the stereo mini plug which causes the guitar amp simulator to be switched on (something similar to floor effect pedals or active guitar pick-up systems being switched on when a jack is inserted into the jack socket). What I would try would be to insert a stereo mini jack (just a jack, no cables attached) into the REC OUT/PHONES jack socket and then connect just the Guitar Amp L/MONO output to either channel 2 or 3. This way I'd be saving one T1 channel which can never be a bad thing considering I've basically only got 4 channels.

Guitar amp outputs

I'd also be trying the preset that ST suggested. He's basically done all the hard work here (including the link to the Manual). All I've done is to notice that the guitar outs are apparently also switched to guitar amp simulation by the presence of a stereo jack in the REC OUT/PHONES jack socket and that you can probably save a T1 input by doing it the way I've suggested.

What I'd also do is to program any sounds that I wish to use through the L1 by using the L1 to hear what they sound like (as monitor so to say). I know from personal (bitter) experience that programming sounds using headphones and then connecting up to a PA never gave me a satisfactory guitar sound. After the first time I tried it out that way I always did it with the PA as my monitoring system.

I started using guitar amp emulation/simulation with the first Line 6 POD getting on for 20 years ago (around 1999 I think) with a top 40 kind of band and after my first disappointment (programming using headphones) I've never really had any surprises with my sound. 

Does that help in any way?

Tony

weeo
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2015

Thanks Tony for your help with this. I do use a blank mini jack as you suggested. It's early days and I'm trying different things. I was kinda hoping someone on here had done all this before. I'll have to set up in house and try these settings , as you said, I've been setting this up using headphones and it sounds different through the T1. I think the secret could be with the volume levels at each stage , the pedal has various volumes as does the T1 so experimenting at home with the T1 set up looks to be the answer.  I'll try and keep you posted. Thanks meantime.  

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

weeo posted:

Thanks Tony for your help with this. I do use a blank mini jack as you suggested. It's early days and I'm trying different things.

Good, that's one problem you won't be having (and I take it that it works out of the Guitar Outs?).

I was kinda hoping someone on here had done all this before. I'll have to set up in house and try these settings , as you said, I've been setting this up using headphones and it sounds different through the T1.

That's the only way that I can see to not be surprised/disappointed at a gig. The difference in sound as I see it will be mainly due to the L1 sounding different than the T1. But you're right about it sounding different. With my Dance band (top 40 kind of thing) after my first big surprise at how different my presets sounded through the PA I really did start to go to the practice room alone and program my POD. It was much better after that.

I think the secret could be with the volume levels at each stage , the pedal has various volumes as does the T1 so experimenting at home with the T1 set up looks to be the answer.  I'll try and keep you posted. Thanks meantime.  

I found the main problem to be that the sounds I'd programmed sounded much different through the PA. Especially any overdriven sounds. The clean ones (as you said yourself) weren't at all bad, but the overdriven ones weren't really acceptable. 

When using modelers you always have to take a bit of time getting the volumes between clean and distorted to be as you need them (and also between the different amp simulations). A modeler gives you the possibility of choosing between  different amp simulations. This comes at a price. The more simulations you use, the more work you've got to do to get the volume relationships between clean/overdriven and also between the different amp simulations.

I'd start with the Boss using the T1 preset that ST suggested. Leave the T1 preset with neutral settings and then start with one amp simulation Clean/overdriven (e.g.). Get the volumes as you'd like them. Always save your programming. Switch between the 2 sounds. Once you're happy with that, move on to the next amp simulation and repeat the procedure. Again always saving your programming. Now you'll also need to switch between the different presets you've created to make sure the volumes are as you'd like them, so that you can switch between presets and have the volumes as you need them.

This is a job that you have to do yourself, as only you know what you need. The less number of presets you use, the less work you'll have. If you need a lot of presets you'll have a lot more work. It does tend to get easier as you get the feel for the programming and the amp simulations. If you only use 1 or 2 different amp simulations and just vary the effects you're using, you should find it easier.

Does that help?

Tony

weeo
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2015

Hi Tony, It certainly helps and thanks very much for your input. I guess i'll have to set it all up and spend some time with it , I've taken on board all the advice given, so the plan is to try them out and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help

Eddie 

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Hi Eddie,

thanks for the reply. Please let us know how you get on. Every bit of info you can give us here may be of help to someone with a similar problem at a later date.

Also feel free to ask further questions as and when they may arise.

weeo posted:

I guess i'll have to set it all up and spend some time with it , I've taken on board all the advice given, so the plan is to try them out and see how it goes.

Nothing is for nothing.  You should, however reap the benefits of the time you put in here. I've had to do it every time I changed my my system. (POD, POD XT Live, TC-Helicon VoiceLive3, Kemper Profiler). It's always paid dividends. 

Thanks again for your help

Eddie 

You're more than welcome.

Tony