captacoustic
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

outdoor gig using ipod backing tracks

First chance I've had to play outdoors with the PAS. It was a fourth of July performance and I started by using some Ipod tunes I had loaded for the date. The symphonic version of Stars and Stripes Forever sounded fantastic. Huge dynamic range and people kept commenting on the sound. I used a Taylor 710 for the first time out and it sounded REALLY good...confirming a suspicion I've long held that just because an acoustic guitar sounds great acoustically doesn't mean it will carry over to amplified sound better than another guitar will with the right electronics. Also, the Taylor plays sooooo easy! This was my first outing with backing tracks and I liked it. I used an audio backing track for about eight tunes, including Come Together. Now, in the past when I've tried to play this tune and sing it to the accompaniment of an acoustic guitar I would be hesitant to go for it. With the recording playing (shooootmadoodaladooooodum) it gave me the energy and guts to belt it out. When I used the backing tracks the crowd really seemed to engage more than when I played strictly guitar and vocal. Not that I want to use backing tracks full time but I do believe their judicious use can be an ear opener after four or five acoustic numbers. I also use the Voicelive so that gives me extra harmonies and vocal adjustments. I'm wondering...if I add a guitar looping device...
3 REPLIES 3
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Re: outdoor gig using ipod backing tracks

quote:
I used a Taylor 710 for the first time out and it sounded REALLY good...confirming a suspicion I've long held that just because an acoustic guitar sounds great acoustically doesn't mean it will carry over to amplified sound better than another guitar will with the right electronics.

It's been said before and bears repeating:

"The greatest thing the PAS does is for the acoustic guitar. It makes a cheapo with a $49 pickup sound like a Martin through a Neumann."

-anonymous genius

Just think what it will do for your guitar.
guyhufstetler
Registered since

Aug 26, 2004

quote:
shooootmadoodaladooooodum

I hate to admit...that one took me a second. Razz
captacoustic
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Hey Guy, interestingly enough, John Lennon stated that he actually sang, "Shoot me". Given the circumstances of his earthly demise I hate to even use the phrase. I won't even sing it that way. I was/am a big Lennon fan. Funny thing is, in my other life I carry a gun.
-------

Originally posted by Guy Hufstetler:
shooootmadoodaladooooodum

I hate to admit...that one took me a second. Razz