Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 7, 2008

packlite peak light

Hi everyone,
My name is Ian and I live in New Zealand. Smile
After months of scouring the forums and reading reviews left right and centre on the L1 model two systems I purchased one last week along with the tonematch,4 B1s and a packlite amp to run my ddrum4 electronic kit through.It sounds great but im a little bit puzzled as to why the peak light on the packlite amp goes straight from no signal registering to red when I hit the kick and toms.I have set the gains on the T1 to read green and occasionally yellow.with the master level at 12 oclock. even when putting an ipod through it at low to medium volumes there is no green light on the packlite.Is this normal or do I have a dud.when powering up the packlite the led does light up green for a split millisecond so I know its capable of it ha ha!
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 13, 2003

Re: packlite peak light

Hi eyerichards,

I'm going to ask Bill-at-Bose, who's an expert in the PackLite to answer your question.

Please stand by.

Ken
Registered since

Jul 9, 2004

Hi Ian,

Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the sound of your system.

The most likely reason the green signal light on the PackLite does not come on when you are playing your ipod at low levels is that the PackLite sees just the bass part of the signal, while the T1 light looks at all the frequencies. So the T1 may see a higher level than the PackLite.

That will depend on program content - you may find tunes that have more bass and turn the PackLite light on more often.

Your drum and toms could be pretty compressed coming out of your kit, meaning that hitting softly or hard with the drumsticks may not make the same amount of loudness difference as it might on an acoustic drum kit (maybe some drummers who have experience with electronic kits can chime in here on the best settings for use with the L1). I think you are probably just putting out a lot of bass and it is registering on the amp.

If it sounds the way you like it, you can leave it as is. Or you may want to try lowering the output of the drum kit or it's low end so you don't drive the PackLite quite so hard.

I hope that helps,
-bill
Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 29, 2006

While playing my V-drums through the Packlite I almost always see the red peak light. It comes on with kick drums hits as well as some tom hits.
I've run several different bass guitars through the system and they don't do it. Just the electronic drums. I've never noticed any distortion, but the red light has always made me a little nervous.
Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 7, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by Bill-at-Bose:
Hi Ian,

Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the sound of your system.

The most likely reason the green signal light on the PackLite does not come on when you are playing your ipod at low levels is that the PackLite sees just the bass part of the signal, while the T1 light looks at all the frequencies. So the T1 may see a higher level than the PackLite.

That will depend on program content - you may find tunes that have more bass and turn the PackLite light on more often.

Your drum and toms could be pretty compressed coming out of your kit, meaning that hitting softly or hard with the drumsticks may not make the same amount of loudness difference as it might on an acoustic drum kit
Thanks Bill,
Yes that makes a lot of sense. I used the system for the first time at one of our regular pub gigs and it sounded great with no distortion happening in the low end so I think I'll stop worrying about the red light and just enjoy it! The amp whilst warm at the end of the night certainly didnt feel like it had been overworked. In about three months time I should have one of the new 2box drumit five kits which is the next generation of ddrum kits ie made by the same people who developed the ddrum for Clavia. Maybe you could look at collaberating with them to get a preset happening for the tonematch.
Cheers from down under Ian

(maybe some drummers who have experience with electronic kits can chime in here on the best settings for use with the L1). I think you are probably just putting out a lot of bass and it is registering on the amp.

If it sounds the way you like it, you can leave it as is. Or you may want to try lowering the output of the drum kit or it's low end so you don't drive the PackLite quite so hard.

I hope that helps,
-bill
Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
maybe some drummers who have experience with electronic kits can chime in here on the best settings for use with the L1
... for eyerichards (or anyone else!) ... if you haven't discovered it yet, check out the "Drums and Percussion section in this L1 Forum!