Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 14, 2010

power conditioner with dual L1M1

I've searched through the forums for discussions about power conditioners etc. There was a mention about using 2 L1M1 double B1 systems with a single Furman power conditioner.

I called the Bose support number but would like to hear from the folks here about the thoughts of connecting both systems to a single Furman. The person at Bose said it would probably be OK but I'd like to hear fom anyone with more specific thoughts and experience.

At a recent wedding there was a little more hum than usual so I thought I'd try connecting my mixer, media controllers and maybe laptop to the Furman since the hum was more pronounced when the mixer was connected to the L1. I just think the 2 L1 systems might be too much to push the conditioner. It says it's rated 15 amps and 1800 watts and I know you're not supposed to really push more than 80% of the rated power.

I appreciate yur thoughts and input.
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: power conditioner with dual L1M1

Hi mikep

I hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by Hilmar-at-Bose:
To see what UL (underwriter's laboratory, U.S official saftey agency) has to say about extension cords, please click here
http://www.ul.com/consumers/cords.html

You should budget about 5 Amps for each system playing at full volume. A properly sized extension cord will work just fine.

Hope that helps

Hilmar

Source: Extension cord Yes or No
Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

I will occasionally get a humm or buzz but that is easily corrected with a Hum X. I keep one Hum X in my tool kit for each L1, just in case.
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 23, 2008

I use a 15 amp Furman with my dual L1M1, denon mixer, laptop and Chauvet lighting controller all running through it with no hum. I have never had the reset pop even at higher volumes running all 4 B1's.
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Lou the humm probably comes from your laptop power supply.
I've run two L1's - eight B1's & two Packlites & my entire DMX ight show off a single 15 amp Furman & have no humm & haven't blow a breaker or relay.
Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

JD,
I will sometimes get a loud hum when I plug from the laptop s-video into an in house television or video projector and, at other times, for no apparent reason. The laptop power supply may well be the culprit. In any case, the Hum-X fixes it.
I'm already running through a battery backup power strip so dragging around another piece of gear is not in my game plan but thanks for the info.
Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 29, 2005

mikep,

I would highly recommend a power regulator/power conditioner. This is what I use to regulate and condition my equipment and have no issues with power or noise. I wouldn't run my system without one. Here is quote from Furman's website

Description

The 15 Amp P-1800 AR http://www.furmansound.com/pro...p?div=01&id=P-1800AR delivers a stable 120 volts of AC power to protect equipment from problems caused by AC line voltage irregularities such as sags, brownouts, or overvoltages - all of which can cause sensitive electronic equipment to malfunction or sustain damage. The P-1800 AR accepts input voltages over a wide AC voltage range and transforms it to a constant output of 120V, ±5V. Voltages beyond that range may also be converted to usable levels, depending on the range variance.

Additionally, the P-1800 AR is a full-featured power conditioner that filters and purifies AC power, reducing line noise and ensuring optimum performance. Not only will your equipment perform better with Furman’s Linear Filtering Technology (LiFT), but it will also be fully protected by our exclusive Series Multi-Stage Protection (SMP), and Extreme Voltage Shutdown (EVS). This circuitry provides the highest level of power protection available.

Larry
Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Lou 😧
JD,
I will sometimes get a loud hum when I plug from the laptop s-video into an in house television or video projector ...
This is almost always a result of the projector being on a different power phase than the one you are plugged into for the audio. In these situations you might also find that the video display is also "unstable" (having "rolling waves" moving across it or other indications of a lot of noise on the video link).

If the display is not "rock solid", you can confirm that the hum * instability is from different power sources very quickly by unplugging the audio connection; if the display then "stabilizes", it is a "different power source" issue (a.k.a. ground loop) which causes the hum.

If you don't have a way to connect into the same power leg (or even the same circuit) as the projector, then two alternatives are to "float" your whole audio system (i.e.: reference it to the projector's ground via the computer) or to wirelessly connect to the video display (electrically isolated connection).
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 14, 2010

I appreciate all of your replies and input. I plan to start with using the conditioner for my mixer, laptop, cd/media players and see how it goes. I will use it for the L1's as needed or depending on individual venue results.

I am glad to see that you have been able to connect 2 L1M1 systems without issue.
It was just this place where I had a buzz sound, more than a hum I suppose, that was there when I plugged in the cable from my mixer so this should help with this issue.
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 12, 2004

I will not operate my systems without running through my Furman. I found out the hard way, last year, I had to send 2 systems back for repair (one Classic and one Model II) after playing a large venue. It was relayed to me that if the systems were "pushed" under poor power conditions, that it can cause failure to occur in the internal power amps.

This year, played the same venue, ran everything through the Furman, except for one Packlite power amp that was overlooked. You can probably guess the outcome, all systems good except the Packlite.

The Systems performed under those conditions flawlessly, there was no warning at either gig. The effects were found at the next gig at power-up (or, attempted power-up).

I'm sure this can just be an isolated case at this particular venue, it is 2000 seat amphitheatre, but the inherent sound there is so ****** that we opted to push our systems instead of the house sound. I think their power supply is just very poor. I hope somebody can benefit from this info

Best Wishes,
Jeff