cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

presets

I really enjoy gigs with the L1 MkII. However I have have four handbuilt Bartram guitars and don't want a preset for another make of guitar as I like my guitars to sound like Bartrams rather than another manufacturers.

I currently use the generic 'Piezo' option but it occurs to me that shaping for the pickup rather than the model of guitar might be a good thing for Bose T1 engineers to consider.

I could then have a Fishman option selected for my older guitars and LR Baggs Element selected for my newest one.

Sarah
Smile
7 REPLIES 7
SunDog
Participant
Registered since

Jun 17, 2010

Re: presets

I may be mistaken - but I think that the pre-sets are not designed to make a guitar sound like itself or any other model - so much as it is designed to optimize the eq tweaks that you can make.
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Presets for acoustic guitars are in fact designed to make an instrument sound like itself, only louder.

As we all know even guitars of the same make and model, even with consecutive serial numbers rarely sound alike. So what that means is, .... a named preset was made for a guitar of that make and model, one example, but may work well for any number of other acoustic instruments.

A Martin preset won't make a Gibson sound like a Martin and a Taylor preset won't make a Martin sound like a Taylor. I use Taylor presets almost excusively and never have played a Taylor on stage.

I encourage all acoustic players to try several different presets. Choose the one you like the best. Don't be concerned if the name doesn't match your instrument.

Acoustic guitar presets are nothing more than 'detailed' eq curves, "preset" by a very good ear to show a best case representation of the instrument being played at the time, and in the space where it was created.

zEQ on the T1 does optimize the tone controls for acoustic guitar when an acoustic guitar preset is chosen.

Try em all, use what you like.

Sarah, If you are using a T1 there are LR Baggs presets available for download to the T1.

O..
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Sarah,

You've gotten great insights above.

Here is what Bose says about the ToneMatch® Presets

You can get the LR Baggs Presets on the T1® ToneMatch® Downloads page.

Please read the instructions, and pay particular to the pictures on the right side of that page.
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

Hey thanks, SunDog, OldGsm and ST.

I didn't know that the LR Baggs presets were available. I haven't updated the presets as I didn't want to risk it.

In terms of EQ I generally run as flat as possible working on the principle that if you have good instruments and good PA it'll sound like it should unless the room is really weird.

Will cross my fingers and update the T1 presets.
Smile
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Sarah,

I understand the thought below,

quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Jones:
In terms of EQ I generally run as flat as possible working on the principle that if you have good instruments and good PA it'll sound like it should unless the room is really weird.

But I encourage you to explore what the T1® can do for you. A room doesn't have to be really weird to warrant a few adjustments. And if the sound can be improved by adjusting your tone controls, it doesn't indicate that there was anything lacking in either the instrument or the sound system.

When I read through acoustic guitar oriented forums I am taken aback at the incredible effort that people put into thinking about body styles, strings: gauges, brands, coatings, alloy mixes, bridge pin material, saddle material, nut material, wood for the top, back, and sides, gloss finishes vs. satin finishes, the effect of relative humidity on the tone, and on and on and on. There is so much room for tweaking at the source. Even with fundamentally great instruments, making adjustments downstream in the signal chain can be artistic and musical.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi again Sarah,

About loading the L.R. Baggs. No matter what you do, you can do no irrepairable harm but you can save yourself some bother if you follow the notes here.

Do not load your LR Baggs presets into bank noted in red below.

Use one of these A: B: or C: (note, the details after A: B: C: reflect what I had loaded on MY T1® when I took the screen shot. Yours will be different).

Full details here: T1 ToneMatch® Downloads page
sarahjones
Registered since

May 10, 2009

Hi ST,

thank you for your dedication to the message boards and for your attention to detail. I'll update in mid January after the next crop of hectic days and I'll let you know how I get on!
Smile