Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 9, 2006

refurbs

Hello all. I have a question about the refurb opportunities for L1's gone bad. I have friends here in Maine that have been using these systems for a few years and had amps go bad on them. They have sent them to Framingham to be repaired. I think the deal is that they paid to send the unit down and then a flat 250.00 charge for the repair. Bose pays the return freight. Sounds good but I have a question regarding the amps Bose is using for the fix.

I went over to a friend's house to check out the refurbished unit and the amps used are quite loud. Sounds like they have fans in them. These aren't the same amps used in the original unit are they? What's up with that?
Are they better amps? Are they cheaper amps used for the fix? I'm concerned because I know I will ultimately have to do the same thing when mine go south!

Much appreciated,

Ed.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 13, 2003

Re: refurbs

Hi Ed,

Let me see if I can get some appropriate help on this subject. I don't know the answer.

Please stand by.

Ken
Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 9, 2004

Hi Ed,

I am not sure what the reason is for what you are hearing.

The amps and power supplies we use for repair are exactly equivalent to the originals. We work so hard to get the quality where we want, we would never switch to something worse for repair!

When you say the amps are loud, do you mean the fan noise is loud or something else?

The fans in the unit are separate from the amps, they would not normally get replaced if you had a channel go bad, unless the technician found an issue with a fan as well. That's possible, but not typical.

The fans should only turn on when music is being played. If the fan noise you hear sounds like they are on all the time, you should call service again and get the unit fixed. Same goes if the amps are actually "louder" meaning the music sounds louder - that would not be correct either.

If you think your friend's L1's are not acting correctly, would you please send me a private message? If you describe the issue in a little more detail, and provide the serial numbers or any repair numbers your friend has, I might be able to fdind more information out for you about the repair.

Other than the rare possibility of a problem on a repaired unit, rest assured that the units that we repair go through the same testing as our new units, use equivalent parts, and should behave exactly the same!

I hope that helps,
Bill
Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 9, 2006

Hey guys - thanks for the reply. The noise is most certainly fan noise. They stay on from the moment the unit is powered up until you turn it off. I never heard fan noise in my unit so it caught my attention right away. I'm glad to hear the repairs are with original components. I will have Bruce (friend) contact you all and send it back for tweaks. Thanks so much for the help.

Ed.
Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 27, 2006

Trying to not hi-jack the thread but to get some info here -

When you send your tower back in for repair, the $250 covers the repair or is that just their bench fee? Do I then get billed for any repairs done on top of that $250?

(I've fried channel #2 finally. For the past year its been hit and miss. I could usually "wake" it up but its toast now.)
Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Rain Jaudon:
...When you send your tower back in for repair, the $250 covers the repair or is that just their bench fee? Do I then get billed for any repairs done on top of that $250?...
Flat total repair cost, excluding shipping from you to Bose. Also includes a repair warranty!