Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

using L1 model II as FOH

Hi all I am trying to run 2 BOSE L1 systems as FOH for a 3 piece band. I connected the L1's to my presonus studiolive AR12 desk left and right main outputs to Bose system analog inputs on the power stands using XLR to mono jack leads but found that one system was louderthan the other.I had to turn up the trim control one the quieter one to about 3'oclock the the other had the trim control at about 12'oclock in order to get a similar amount of volume output from both systems. Am I usingthe wrong leads or connecting this the wrong way or is there a possible fault in something. I have tested both L1 systems separately with a t1 Tonematch desk and the presonus desk independently with some studio monitorsand everything seems ok. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Shawn

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: using L1 model II as FOH

Hi Shawn,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community and thank you for the interesting question.

Shawn posted:

Hi all I am trying to run 2 BOSE L1 systems as FOH for a 3 piece band. I connected the L1's to my presonus studiolive AR12 desk left and right main outputs to Bose system analog inputs on the power stands using XLR to mono jack leads but found that one system was louderthan the other.

Are both "XLR to mono jack leads" identical? Have you tried swapping them?

The connections should look like this. XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve 

Image result for xlr male to 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve

If one of the cables looks like the one below: XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve, that would explain the difference.

TISINO Microphone Cable Female XLR to 1/4 Inch TS Male Mono Mic Cable Unbalanced Interconnect Wire Mic Cord for Dynamic Microphone - 10 FT

I had to turn up the trim control one the quieter one to about 3'oclock the the other had the trim control at about 12'oclock in order to get a similar amount of volume output from both systems.

Am I usingthe wrong leads or connecting this the wrong way or is there a possible fault in something. I have tested both L1 systems separately with a t1 Tonematch desk and the presonus desk independently with some studio monitors and everything seems ok. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Shawn

Please confirm that you ahve two cables like this.

Image result for xlr male to 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve

Then we'll take it from there.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hi thanks for your reply, I was using only TS to XLR female cables (mono) so judging from your message they definitely needed to be TRS to XLR cables (stereo). I will go and buy some shortly and see if this fixes my issue.

Regards Shawn

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hi ST, I have purchased the leads you suggested and it has not corrected my problem. One of the BOSE L1 model II systems is still lower in output volume than the other. Any ideas or suggestion please?

regards Shawn

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hi ST, I purchased the new leads you suggested but it has not fixed my problem. One of the L1 model II systems is still lower in output volume than the other. Any ideas or suggestions please.

Regards Shawn

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Shawn,

Do you still have to set the L1 Model II Power Stand Analog Input Trim settings like this?

.I had to turn up the trim control one the quieter one to about 3'oclock the the other had the trim control at about 12'oclock in order to get a similar amount of volume output from both systems.

Also - please watch for a private message.

Thanks,

ST