Participant
Registered since

May 30, 2016

BOSE SL III crackling // disrupted sound

Hi There, 

My Soundlink III has suddenly started being very crackly when playing music. It breaks up the sound as if it's a poor connection. I was wondering if there was anything I could do? I've tried resetting it. I really don't want to buy a new one as I'm super keen on fixing things - any advice?

Amelia

3 REPLIES 3

Re: BOSE SL III crackling // disrupted sound

Hi ameliachristiemiller,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear the sound of your speaker has deteriorated and I would be happy to help with this.

It sounds like you have done some great troubleshooting already, so thank you for doing that and letting us know. Resetting the speaker is a great place to start when experiencing something like this.

The crackly sound you hear when playing music, is it present no matter what you play through your speaker? Have you tried using any other Bluetooth devices, or connecting a speaker via an AUX cable at all?

If it happens with all audio sources and the reset has not fixed it, I would recommend getting in touch with your local support team, as they will be able to help you resolve this issue. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how you get on.

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Oct 2, 2020

Hi, mine also does this.

The sound whilst playing over Bluetooth is intermittent and crackly which makes for really poor user experience.

It seems to play perfectly with an AUX cable which implies it's only Bluetooth related.

It seems to play better on Bluetooth when plugged into the mains power.

Not really sure how to fix it. Like Amelia I like to fix my things. Am a mechanical engineer so just need pointing in the right direction with electrical things LOL.

OK so I took it apart. It seems to play much better on Bluetooth with the thing metal casing removed although it's lived a fairly easy life and always has the dusting attachment of the vacuum cleaner run over it so all the holes are free from dirt. Wonder if the metal casing somehow ages with time which perhaps starts creating more interference to the Bluetooth Frequencies 😕

It now also appear to be working better after putting it back together again. Strange...

PS: Nice design !

Hmmm just moved slightly in my chair and the crackling returned. Just connected it to a different device and put them side by side and the cracking still remains 😞

Hi Arron,

Thanks for the detailed updates on how your testing has been going! We would not recommend taking your speaker apart yourself but it is interesting that this seemed to help briefly.

Have you also reset your speaker as @ameliachristiemiller did? If not you can do this by pressing and holding the Mute button for 10 seconds until the LEDs flash briefly.

As this is only happening with a Bluetooth source for you, I would also recommend clearing the Bluetooth pairing list on your speaker and reconnecting it to your devices. To clear the Bluetooth pairing list, turn the speaker on then press and hold the Bluetooth button for about 10 seconds until you hear a tone. Once you have done this, you will also need to forget the speaker from your Bluetooth device list on your mobile device or computer as well before you reconnect them.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!