Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

Bose 500 Speaker will not turn off with Google app

When I tell the google assistant to turn off it says "sorry power controls not yet supported".  I'm having a horrible time getting anything to work correctly with the speaker.  When I tell it to play music it won't, when I try to play music through the bose app that won't work either.  I've unplugged it and plugged it back in several times and I've made sure it's connected to Wifi.  About the only way to get anything to work is to do it through bluetooth.  Any suggestions?

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: Bose 500 Speaker will not turn off with Google app

Hi Mtmscrogg, 

Thank you for your post and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you seem to be an issue with your 500 speaker and Google Assistant. 

Can you tell me if you have the Soundbar 500 or the Home Speaker 500? 

Have you successfully added Google Assistant to your Bose Music application?

Did you experience any error messages?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

It's a Bose 500 home speaker.  Google assistant was successfully added without any error messages.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @mtmscroggins

Thanks for getting back to us. We'll still need a little more information - the more descriptive and detailed that you can be, the better. 🙂 What exact commands are you giving the Home Speaker 500? It sounds like the Google Voice Assistant may be interpreting your command as a request to physically power off the speaker - have you tested saying something different - "Okay Google, pause my music"? 

What issues are you specifically having with audio playback and the Bose Music application? How can you determine that the speaker is successfully connected to Wi-Fi, and what happens when you try to initiate audio playback from the app?

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

I've tried a couple of commands with turning it off I've used
"turn off"

Turn Off music

I've tried telling it "play new country music", it says it's going to play it on pandora and then it doesn't do anything.  I've tried going through the bose app to play something on iHeartradio and Pandora and the only thing that will play are radio stations.  

I am able to ask questions like what time is it and what's the weather today and it answers those correctly.  Playing music which is what I want it to do is an issue.

I've gone to the connecting to a wifi network-Alternative setup method to make sure it was connected to wifi.

The only thing that seems to work well is playing it through bluetooth.

Highlighted

Thank you for letting us know that!

Interestingly, I tend to find "stop" rather than "turn off" to be the most effective way to make the speakers stop playing. 

As you are having issues playing music from the Bose Music app as well as using Google Assistant, it would definitely be worth looking at the network setup further. 

Do you have any VPNs running or a firewall in place on your router? It could be possible these are affecting communication with the speaker. Try disabling them, or setting the firewall to the lowest security setting and see if you still get the same behavior afterward.

Let me know how you get on with this!

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

There's nothing running, no firewall.  Nothing has changed except the speaker won't work correctly.  We've already returned one because it didn't work properly with voice commands.  We get it set up everything works and then it stops working.  This is beyond frustrating to have to go back and forth on a forum to get answers when you pay so much for a product.  Is there a way to get on the phone with tech support to get the issues resolved.?

Highlighted

Sorry to hear that you feel this way mtmscroggins. 

You can contact us via all of the methods listed on this page here. However, please do keep in mind that due to current world events there may be a delay in getting through to us or receiving a response. 

Thank you for understanding. 

Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

I finally got it working with the Bose Music app on my phone but it still doesn't work with voice prompts.  When I tell it to play music it says it's going to on pandora and then says bose music is unavailable.  Any other suggestions?

Highlighted

Glad to hear this @mtmscroggins

Can you please try using a different streaming service to see if the same issue persists? I would suggest trying Spotify if possible. 

I would like to know the phase you are saying when asking the system to stream Pandora? 

We look forward to hearing back from you with the answer to this.