Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Bose Home Portable Speaker loses bluetooth connection with Windows 10 PC

Hi. I have a new Bose Home Portable Speaker. I'm very happy with it in many aspects, except the terrible compatibility with my Windows 10 laptop. 

It's a premium and new laptop (DELL XPS 13 i7 10th Gen, with a premium network adapter - Killer 6 AX1650, Bluetooth 5.0), which supposely should work great. (all drivers are up to date - both Windows and Killer drivers). I can connect bluetooth with MANY other devices (other bose speakers, mouse, ear phone, etc).

When I connect with my Bose Home Portable Speaker, first time it works, and then it loses the connection by itself after 1min of playing sound. And then when I try to reconnect it's very annoying (I have to try several times, the PC shows it has connected, but the Speaker keeps blinking blue, then I have to disconnect and re-connect several times - and also click on Windows 10 "Allow to connect with this speaker", which never happens to any other Bose bluetooth speaker I have). Sometimes I have to either restart windows or switch bluetooth Off/On again in order to connect once again... And once again the connection will last for another 1min before it loses it again.... 

Until now, I was able to connect for longer periods of time only a few times (but not sure yet what happened those few times to succeed, execept it seemed more lucky than anything else relevant).

I hope someone has an idea of solution, as I'd love to use Home Portable with my Windows laptop.

Thanks

Rodrigo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Re: Bose Home Portable Speaker loses bluetooth connection with Windows 10 PC

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

The Speaker is up to date.

I just found a solution. 

I just figured out that the Network Adapter Killer AX1650 was manufactured in conjunction between Killer and Intel together. So, I looked at Intel Download Center website and they made avaliable last month a newer version of Wifi and Bluetooth drivers. I installed it and it's now working!

I'm writing here in order to leave this information registered here, in case it might be useful for somebody else.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Hi @Lolato, That you for your post! 

Can you tell me if you are connecting to the 'LE' version of the connection or the Home Speaker Portable?

If you are connecting to the 'LE' version, I would recommend trying the other version to make sure you get a solid connection. 

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

I didn't use the "LE" version, but connected to the "real" Home Portable Speaker. I'm very familiar and experienced on connecting bluetooth devices (I have 6 devices only from Bose).

It seems to be an incompatibility between the new Killer Network Adapter (AX1650) and Bose.

Because I also have another DELL XPS 13 (i7 8th Generation) with the previous Killer Network Adapter (1435), and it works flawlessly.

I hope either Bose or Killer or Windows can fix this incompatibility issue in future firmwares/drivers, because at this moment I can't use my Bose Home Portable Speaker with my laptop, which is very unfortunate..... 

I'd apreciate if you send this information for your engineers, as this is a brand new Network Adapter and should be very popular soon, as it 's the best Network Adapter (speed and reliability) for laptops.

Thanks

Rodrigo

Highlighted

Hi Rodrigo,

Thank you for the update and extra information.

From how you have been describing this, I think you may be right and it could be an incompatibility with your Bluetooth adapter. However, there are some extra troubleshooting steps you can try for this.

The first would be checking your Portable Home Speaker is fully up to date. You can do this from the Bose Music app by going to the speaker settings > technical info. The latest version at this time will be 4.0.10. 

If the speaker is not up to date, you can force an update by pressing and holding the Bluetooth and Volume -  buttons together for 10 seconds until the light ring speaker fills.

It would also be worth completely clearing the Bluetooth pairing between the speaker and your computer and reconnecting them. To clear the pairing on the speaker, turn the speaker on, then press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds.

Let me know how you get on.

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

By the way, I was looking in more details in both laptops here (both DELL XPS 13, the one that is working - Network Adapter Killer 1435, VERSUS the newer DELL XPS 13, with Network Adapter Killer AX1650, which is not connecting properly via bluetooth to the Home Portable Speaker).

When I go to "Device Manager", both laptops show exactly the same items described:

=> In "Bluetooth" Tab:

- Audio Source Service

- Bose Portable Home (Both with driver version 10.0.18362.449 - Driver from Microsoft Jun 21st 2006)

- Bose Portable Home Avrcp Transport (both with driver version - 10.0.18362.1 - Driver from Microsoft Mar 18th, 2019,)

=> In "Sound, video and game controllers" tab

- Bose Portable Home Stereo (both with driver 10.0.18362.356 Sep 3rd, 2019

=> In "Audio inputs and outputs" tab

- Speakers (Bose Portable Home Stereo): 10.0.18362.1 Mar, 2019 (this item only shows up when the device is connected via bluetooth. Which in the working laptop stays for as long as I want, and for the 'not working laptop' it stays connected for 50sec - regardless of me playing any sound or not).

I also noticed that in the smartphone (Bose Music App), as soon as I connect the laptop via bluetooth, it shows the device name there (in the bluetooth tab of the app) and highlighted as connected. Then, when it loses the connection (after the 50sec), my laptop name is totally deleted from the Bose Music App (even deleted from the "History" list - that shows the other devices that have been connected before.... I still can see in the list all the other smartphones and the other laptop with the Killer 1435 network adapter).

This is very frustrating. 

Any news or ideas please?

Thanks 

Rodrigo

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

The Speaker is up to date.

I just found a solution. 

I just figured out that the Network Adapter Killer AX1650 was manufactured in conjunction between Killer and Intel together. So, I looked at Intel Download Center website and they made avaliable last month a newer version of Wifi and Bluetooth drivers. I installed it and it's now working!

I'm writing here in order to leave this information registered here, in case it might be useful for somebody else.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 30, 2020

I am trying to connect bose portable to windows 10 in HP laptop but not able to do it. Can you please help. 

Highlighted

Hello Atul, 

Thanks for joining the discussion. 

Please read this post regarding pairing Bluetooth devices to computers.

Further to this, you can also find instructions for your speaker below. 

Connecting to Windows 10

On the top of your product, press and hold the Bluetooth® button until the light bar on the front of the product slowly blinks blue

Tip: This button switches among AUX, Bluetooth and Bluetooth pairing modes. So, you might need to press it a couple of times

On your computer, go to the Bluetooth settings

Tip: You can find them by clicking the Windows button in the lower-left, typing Bluetooth, then selecting Bluetooth and other device settings

If Bluetooth is off, turn it on
Select Add Bluetooth or other device

Select Bluetooth

From the list of available Bluetooth devices, select your Bose product, then click Done when it connects

Tip: If your product appears twice, select the one with the headphones icon. If you already chose the other one, click it in the Bluetooth settings menu and select Remove device, then try again

While connected, Paired appears below the product name in the computer Bluetooth settings.

Thanks.