Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

Bose Revolve static noise?

I bought the Bose Revolve speakers yesterday to replace my Bose Soundlink Mini and I'm noticing quite a lot of static noise, especially on lower volumes. It can't be a defective unit because I returned them for another Bose Revolve and have the same problem now.

At first I noticed the noise after I updated the older unit to Firmware version 1.2.2. However, I have noise with my 1.1.6 unit as well.

Is that really normal? I swear that the Soundlink Mini I had, had much less noise than the Revolve!

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Re: Bose Revolve static noise?

Hi Rh0d1um,

Thanks for reaching out!  I'm curious, what device are you using to pair and play music?  Are you using a phone or a computer?  I'm thinking that the sound you're experiencing could be a result of audio quality on the end of your source device.

Let me know if you get a chance.

Thank you,

Shiloh_C

Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

On both Revolve units I tried an iPhone, MacBook Pro and Android phone. I played music with the Spotify app, using the highest possible setting (320kps).

Thanks for replying, though! Can you confirm that the revolve is absolutely NOT supposed to have any static noise whatsoever, even at low volumes (like the Soundlink Mini)? This would motivate me to dig deeper into the issue, since that means that the problem is somehow on my end.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

I have the same problem of static noise. I have the revolve plus since August and it started happening just today.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

Did you change anything in your setup?
Was the noise completely absent before?
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

No i didnt change a thing. I used it last time the day before yesterday all good. Today i connect it and from the very start i realise the static noise problem. Im freakin out 😞
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

Hmm that‘s really bad.. But to me it sounds like it could be a software problem that Bose could fix. I‘ll upload a video or audio file later today so that the Bose support can have a look at.

Are you using a phone to connect to the speaker? Have you tried using a different device?

I remember that you could set a different volume level for the speakers AND the phone with the Soundlink Mini I. So I would have my Mini volume quite low and adjust my phone volume instead.
I can‘t help but think that the Revolve volume is always on „max volume“ which also produces static noise in any other speaker. If I turn up my living room audio speakers all the way up and don‘t play any music, I have static as well.

Oh and Bose, the static is there even with the built in voice that says „battery 100 percent“ and so on.

Hope that helps...
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

The static noise dont exist on in built voice in my occasion.
Ive connected 2 different android devices and played all kind of quality. Problem the same. There is also a thing. When im connected with no music and typing with activated sound on keyboard the speaker produce the static noise in every key i press.
I use it mostly to play ambient tracks on low volume in absolute silence so i can ensure that the static noise problem began yesterday
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

And you are sure that the Bose connect app didn‘t update the firmware or something? Not that this would solve the mystery that my 1.1.6 revolves (1.2.2 is newest) have a static noise.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

As promised, I recorded some audio at 10% volume: https://soundcloud.com/user-7835663/bose-revolve-static-noise

Turn up your volume a bit.

0-10 seconds: Music

10-15 seconds: Speakers ON, no music => Here you can hear the static noise very clearly.

15-20 seconds: Speakers OFF

20-24 seconds: Turning speakers back ON again

24-30 seconds: Music

Edit: I also tried turning off WLAN and Bluetooth connections on my other devices. Didn't help either.

As you can see, the static noise is absolutely audible when listening to music in a quiet room.

I did this with USB audio on a Windows PC, to make sure that there is no Bluetooth interference going on. However, the result is the same when listening over Bluetooth or AUX.