Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Re: Bose Revolve static noise?

Hi @Rhod1um and @bitatos,

Thank you, both for your input and information here.  

@Rhod1um Thank you for providing that clip.  Based off of what you're both describing and the audio sample I think that the speakers could be defective.  The Revolve that I have on my desk doesn't give any static.

For you both I'd recommend reaching out to customer support here.  Just select your country and scroll down to where you see "contact us". 

Please feel free to come back and update me.

Have a great day,

Shiloh_C 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

Thanks for the reply. I can't believe that I have had two defective units in a row. Though I noticed that both my Revolve units were manufactured on August 3, 2017. Is it possible that units in that batch are known to be defective? 

However, I think I might return my unit now and not get a third one, sadly. I can't trust a product that took me three tries to work... which is a shame because they sound really great on medium and high volume levels 😞

Oh and by the way, I updated the firmware to 1.2.2 just out of curiosity, if it would change anything. Nope, it didnt.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

I just went to a store an tested bluetooth speakers there. Let me share a couple of observations.

1) The Bose revolve units there also had static noise on low volume levels. This means to me that the Revolve is a clear downgrade from the Soundlink Mini in this regard.
Even the Revolve+ has static noise! Just a little less than the small Revolve.

2) The Soundlink III didn’t have any noise whatsoever

3) Most small bluetooth speakers have annoying static noise on low volume levels. Including JBL Charge 3, UE Boom 2. The UE Megaboom was much better, though.

Am I just spoiled by audiophile headphones or are most people not noticing the clear static on lower volumes? I wish Bose would have continued producing the Soundlink Mini...
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

I have the exact same problem... From what I gather from this post it's not software based it is just down to the speaker? Seems odd considering I never really noticed it until a few weeks ago. I thought it had something to do with low battery or Bluetooth. However, when experimenting with wired aux connections and the speaker on full and low battery it seems not to be the case. 

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

Hey Michaelelele

I’m bringing back my Revolve to the shop where I bought them this afternoon, but I’m going to compare mine to two other Revolve units that they ordered specifically for me. I’ll update the thread afterwards again.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

Alright so I just got a new unit, this time I insisted on another color (black), since I assumed that all units produced on the day of my first 2 units could be defective.

Indeed, my third (black) unit was produced mid September (opposed to early August of the first two units). There still is some static noise, but I think it's better now than with the two units before.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2017

My revolve plus have the same problem, but I can only hear it when its super near by ear.

when will you hear the static noise? Only when it is near(about 10cm away fromyour ear) or when even when it is on the desk?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

It depends from the enviroment noises. To hear the static noise clearly i have to bring it next to my ear. The thing is also that it distorts, in a small scale, the sound that the speaker exports
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 10, 2017

Hi,

I have the same problem of static noise on low volume levels, as Rh0d1um has reported. My firmware version: 1.2.2. Had the Soundlink Mini before, the Mini didn't have this problem. But maybe the reason was here, that it was able to have a different (and not fix) volume setting from device (eg. Ipad or Android phone) and Bose loudspeaker. 

Is it possbile to set a different volume setting, Bose Revolve+ and device? Anyway, not happy right now with the Bose Revole +! Hope that Bose can fix this problem with an update. HOPEFULLY.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

Thanks for chiming in! In the meantime I just accepted that the Revolves aren't as static-free as the Soundlink Mini. I can hear the static noise even when it's 1-2 meters away in a quiet room. Near the ear I can hear it 100% when the music is quiet.

I have good and bad news for you. Yes you can have separate volume levels on Android. But it won't fix the issue, unfortunately. You have to enable the developer options and disable absolute bluetooth volume.