Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Bose Revolve static noise?

Hi,

If I could just jump in here to say, that anyone expereincing any issue with their SoundLink Revolve speakers should try the following first,

Clearing and Re pairing the speaker's memory

1. Make sure the system is on
  2. Press and hold the Bluetooth button for approximately 10 seconds
  3. A voice prompt (or tone) will indicate that the stored pairing list has been cleared. The button can be released
  4. Remove the SoundLink from the source device's pairing list (refer to manufacturer for instruction)

You can also try factory resetting the speaker.

1. Turn the speaker on
  2. Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds
  3. Once complete, the Bluetooth indicator flashes blue and a voice prompt prompts to select a language

If those fail to help, generally you would want to contact your local Bose support for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact Us"

Hope that helped

Tony

Contributor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2017

Dear Tony, thanks for your reply. But I think this problem is a hardware issue. I tried these steps several times on several devices. Still need to see a Revolve or even a Micro that doesn‘t have this problem.
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2018

Did you try to sync volume between the speaker and your phone? I had similar issue with my android and mini 2 when I clicked the speaker volume to max while my android volume was at low level. It was rather some buzzing distorted noise for certain sound than a constant static noise though... Anyway for me when I lowered the volume on the speaker it disappeared.
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Same thing here. Owned Soundlink Mini 1 for years and bought a Revolve Plus yesterday and one of the first things I noticed was this static noise. It fades a little bit as you turn down the volume of the device itself via either the hardware buttons or the Bose Connect app, but the noise never disappears completely. For my uses, it doesn't really bother me (I rarely play super loud so I keep the Bose volume at 60%), but I was surprised to notice such an obvious degradation compared to the 5 year old Mini.

To avoid the standard moderator answers, I've tried to factory reset, upgrade firmware, tested in both BT and AUX. Same results regardless.
Participant
Registered since

Feb 11, 2018

Bought one, then another Bose Revolve+ speaker at a store with a 14 day return policy. The speakers sounded terrific at normal to high volume levels in the store but it never occurred to me to gauge quality at super low volume. I first noticed the hiss referenced by others when I began using one Revolve+ at bedside to lull me to sleep. Afterwards, I tried all of the resetting and repairing advice mentioned but the hiss remained. Ultimately I launched a chat with a very polite and patient Bose customer support person and it was decided that I should send both in for “repair.” I now have them back (same serial numbers) and the hiss remains. At about six hundred for the pair and no way to return them, I am very disappointed. I have tried everything cited in this thread but nothing elimates the low volume hiss when using Bluetooth or a wire, an iPad Pro or an iPhone X. I agree with a previous poster that this might be be a hardware issue. It’s doubtful that buyers who never listen to quiet music at lowish volumes would ever notice it. But for those of who do, it is extremely disappointing and honestly surprising from such a well respected manufacturer. Bose techs: All you have to do is play a quiet piece of music at a really low volume level and get close to the Revolve+. In my opinion, the hiss you’ll hear should not exist in a $300 speaker.

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi dscott77

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your Revolve speakers. If your speakers came back from repair and are still not functioning properly, I would follow up with your local Bose support.  Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact Us"

Please come back and update us

Tony

Contributor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2017

Dear Tony (and Bose staff),

at this point it should be clear that it‘s not about faulty devices. It‘s a bug within the whole product line. I need to see one device that doesn‘t have this problem.

Hope you gonna fix it in future versions.
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

I've tested this on a Soundlink Micro, a Revolve and a Revolve+. All three have the same (relatively) high static noise. Just play a song, like classical music or any songs that also have really quiet parts in the songs. Then, play it close to your ears at a relatively low volume. There's no way you can't hear it then. It's not a matter of faulty units, this is by (deliberate or unfortunate) design.

My trusty old Soundlink Mini doesn't have this problem at all.

Participant
Registered since

Feb 11, 2018

Tony -- Earlier today I did send a follow-up message to Bose regarding the repair experience with my two Revolve+ speakers. In fairness, the Bose customer service rep with whom I originally on-line chatted was unfailingly polite, helpful and arranged for the repair return. In fact, that person said that her on-line notes indicated that there is, in fact, an issue such as I had described and that it could be fixed. The speakers' arrival back home a few days ago was accompanied by a service doc that said they had been "fully repaired and tested." Consequently I can only conclude that this is the best they'll ever do at really low volume. After much web searching I still don't know if what I'm hearing is present in all speakers of this kind. Some say it is and some say it isn't. However, other posters on this thread say that similar Bose products they owned before buying the Revolve+ had no such noise at extremely low volume levels. And the noise absolutely does not exist when I listen to the same sources through earphones (admittedly, a different technology). Perhaps I'm expecting too much and and maybe it's not possible to engineer free-standing speakers like the Revolve+ to perform as I'd hope. I freely admit that the Revolve+ sounds super good at normal and high volume. Hooray! But if one wants to enjoy quiet musical passages at low volume levels whle up close and personal with a Revolve+, I'd have to say the disappointment awaits. 

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Hi dscott77 - I can confirm this part you wrote.

@dscott77 wrote:

However, other posters on this thread say that similar Bose products they owned before buying the Revolve+ had no such noise at extremely low volume levels.

I have A/B tested my Revolve+, Revolve and Micro (all from the newest generation) against my 5 year old Soundlink Mini (1st gen) and there is no noise/static what so ever on the Mini. All recent models mentioned here have the noise.