Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 20, 2019

Re: Bose SoundLink 2 not working with WhatsApp Voice Calls

Hi Hector,

Thank you for reaching out. It is working fine if I used it in making regular phone calls. But it doesn't work when used in video calling in Messenger.  The voice prompt just keeps on saying call ended.

Highlighted

Hi jonathanfabula,

So the Bluetooth speakers do sometimes have trouble with voice calls using VOIP applications. This is due to the fact that Skype, WhatsApp, etc usually require the HSP Bluetooth profile specifically, where most Bluetooth speakers only support the HFP profile, which results in a failed call.

This can vary depending on the app and device but is likely why we are unable to use the speaker for Messenger calls when it is working correctly for standard phone calls.

I hope that this helped answer your question and give some insight into why this is.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Keith

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2020

So, at the end, we cannot use Micro soundlink together with  Galaxy Note 10  to make a whatsapp call?

there is no way we can do?

will appreciate if you are specific with your answer

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2020

As per many other posts I can use WhatsApp via bluetooth on a cheap poor quality speaker but not on my Micro SoundLink (a much more expensive device that is advertised as being able to be used as a speaker phone). Interestingly my Bose QC35 headphones work perfectly with WhatsApp on my phone !!  So it is clearly the speaker that is the issue and not my phone.

Does anyone have a work around yet or are Bose going to update the firmware?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Identical problem here, too. Seems rather pointless to have a speaker which doesn't work in this way, given I have as much cheaper model that does. Someone please help!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

Yes I bought the bose sound link 2 to use it form making whats app phone calls. Like others, I get the same message of call disconnected when I use it. Some apps do connect to the sound link 2, like spotify. I have tried the fixes that were recommended like updating firmware, but I get the same result. However Bose should not advertise that this product is good for conversing with others. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 27, 2020

Dear Keith_L, Although your answer does take me a step further, I struggle to accept it the only cause of the issue. Namely, as other users have also mentioned, our phones switch our calls to car systems without any problems, which should also use the HFP profile. I've been searching at different places online and everywhere people have this same issue without any clear reply from Bose. Many replies from Bose support say that it should actually work with Whatsapp calls and suggest people to try with other phones, etc. Myself I tried with 2 different phones, an older Samsung phone and a Galaxy S9, without any luck for either of them; same problem as everyone else. Your reply is the first one I read from Bose support that tells us that it's incompatible with Whatsapp. If your answer turns out to be true, that it doesn't work with Whatsapp because of lack of protocol support, this should be clearly mentioned on the product page. Instead, it's advertised as a strong communication device, while support for one of the most utilized communication applications is missing. However, in rare occasions and quite randomly and thus without clear steps for reproduction, when I am calling on Whatsapp through my bluetooth headset while having the speaker connected to the phone as well, and disconnect the earphones, the phone does suddenly does successfully transfer the Whatsapp call to the bluetooth speaker. As said this only happens in rare occasions. Based on this, I have a feeling that the hardware theoretically should be able to support Whatsapp calls and a software update should be able to resolve that, if only you gave it some priority.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 27, 2020

Sorry, somehow the line breaks were removed from my post. Below the same post as above, but better readable. 

Dear Keith_L,

Although your answer does take me a step further, I struggle to accept it the only cause of the issue. Namely, as other users have also mentioned, our phones switch our calls to car systems without any problems, which should also use the HFP profile. I've been searching at different places online and everywhere people have this same issue without any clear reply from Bose.

Many replies from Bose support say that it should actually work with Whatsapp calls and suggest people to try with other phones, etc. Myself I tried with 2 different phones, an older Samsung phone and a Galaxy S9, without any luck for either of them; same problem as everyone else. Your reply is the first one I read from Bose support that tells us that it's incompatible with Whatsapp. If your answer turns out to be true, that it doesn't work with Whatsapp because of lack of protocol support, this should be clearly mentioned on the product page. Instead, it's advertised as a strong communication device, while support for one of the most utilized communication applications is missing.

However, in rare occasions and quite randomly and thus without clear steps for reproduction, when I am calling on Whatsapp through my bluetooth headset while having the speaker connected to the phone as well, and disconnect the earphones, the phone does suddenly does successfully transfer the Whatsapp call to my Bose SoundLink Mini II speaker. As said this only happens in rare occasions. Based on this, I have a feeling that the hardware theoretically should be able to support Whatsapp calls and a software update should be able to resolve that, if only you gave it some priority.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 11, 2020

Hello Bose, 

I have exactly the same issue and must admit that I had expected a more professional way to handle this. 

For me this is a serious bug, which makes this speaker useless for me and it is not fulfilling the advertised features. 

I will return it as faulty to my vendor and will look for a working alternative. 

Rgds 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2020

Hello Bose,

I recently bought this product and facing same problem.

I’m discovering the  « answers » from Bose and I’m extremely surprised and disappointed by the professionalism presented. I chose this product because  the notoriety of Bose was good.
It’s over for me. The product is not sold in an honest way as. A notification to Consumers Association is to be planed.

Good luck.