Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Re: Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Sounds Fantastic AND Terrible! Bose Connect App Help?

@Charlotte_G wrote:

If you have any questions, please do let me know.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Hello Charlotte.  It's been a week since your last reply and I still haven't heard back from you about answers to my questions.  I'm still very eagerly looking forward to your reply and to get this working with my computer.  I'd really love to know what your development team had to say.

1. I was able to verify that my audio output is A2DP, what would be your next suggestion for diagnosis and fixing of the poor sound quality?

2. Did you have any success when reaching out to the development team about my issue?

3.Would you be willing to connect me with someone from the development team who is interested in helping us create something for snapd, github or the AUR so we could bring this properly to Linux? 

Highlighted

Re: Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Sounds Fantastic AND Terrible! Bose Connect App Help?

Hi fbodymechanic,

Apologies for the delayed response. 

I don't have an update as of yet, but I'm still looking into this for you to see what we can do to help.

I appreciate your patience and will get back to you when I have further guidance.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Hello again.  I haven't heard back in nearly 4 months.  I was hoping to find some new answers. 

I have been doing more trouble shooting on my end.  I have noticed one thing when connecting to my computer.  My Samsung soundbar that sounds great, and my garbage Jampack speaker that sounds better than my Bose currently are both considered "headphones" when I connect, but there's something wrong with whatever the Bose Microlink sends to my computer because it's considered a "loudspeaker."  There must be something in the firmware that tells my computer it's not just a speaker.

So far I can't seem to find anyone who can help me, or has any idea why it does that, but I'm leaning towards that being the issue since this is the only device I have the problem with. 

I was going to upload the photo to show you, but I cannot post photos here for whatever reason. 

But

Samsung Soundbar - > headset

Jampack -> headset

Bose Micro -> loudspeaker

I can post any information about the computer from terminal.  Please advise. 

I have also tried this on my other computer (different variation of Linux).  On this computer it shows up as "other device" and "hardware."  So, I need some sort of driver, or modules to run this.  It must be something the speaker installs when initially connected via Windows/Android, or is associated with the app required to use it.  It's not just a "speaker" to my computer like the other bluetooth speakers I use. 

Highlighted

Hi there @fbodymechanic. Thank you for coming back to us with this information. 

I appreciate that this is a frustrating issue for you. The computer you are using is deciding which connection type to use when you connect to the speaker and is choosing 'loudspeaker'. As the speaker is functioning correctly with all other connections, there must something preventing this on your computer. This could be an application or a piece of software in the background that uses a microphone, as the SoundLink Micro is able to be used for calls. We do not typically support Linux and have been unable to run tests. As we have already asked you to check all the connection types and clear the Bluetooth pairing, there is little more I can suggest to you. 

If anyone else in the community uses Linux and has any advice to offer, please do chime in here.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

@Jessie_O wrote:

Hi there @fbodymechanic. Thank you for coming back to us with this information. 

I appreciate that this is a frustrating issue for you. The computer you are using is deciding which connection type to use when you connect to the speaker and is choosing 'loudspeaker'. As the speaker is functioning correctly with all other connections, there must something preventing this on your computer. This could be an application or a piece of software in the background that uses a microphone, as the SoundLink Micro is able to be used for calls. We do not typically support Linux and have been unable to run tests. As we have already asked you to check all the connection types and clear the Bluetooth pairing, there is little more I can suggest to you. 

If anyone else in the community uses Linux and has any advice to offer, please do chime in here.

You and I already know there's no other "Linux" people here.  And this is beyond frustrating.  I've never had a piece of hardware so disappointing and difficult to work with.  It's been the biggest waste of money I may have ever spent thus far, and will prove to be if we never get this working properly.  I have been reaching out to very respected Linux coders/users/creators as well.  Here's what I've learned so far.  " The computer you are using is deciding which connection type to use when you connect to the speaker and is choosing 'loudspeaker'.  " This term "loudspeaker" is just the label given to hardware that connects to bluetooth via an a2dp_sink connection.  I was told a few posts back a2dp is the correct connection I want, and that sink just means that it's a receiver (loudspeaker).  The computer doesn't necessarily choose that, that information comes from the hardware, not the other way around.  Bluez then pairs to the best possible connection according to priority given from the hardware.  You will see that when I scan the hardware here:

index: 2
	name: <bluez_card.2C_41_A1_B2_2C_BF>
	driver: <module-bluez5-device.c>
	owner module: 27
	properties:
		device.description = "Bose SoundLink Micro"
		device.string = "2C:41:A1:B2:2C:BF"
		device.api = "bluez"
		device.class = "sound"
		device.bus = "bluetooth"
		device.form_factor = "speaker"
		bluez.path = "/org/bluez/hci0/dev_2C_41_A1_B2_2C_BF"
		bluez.class = "0x240414"
		bluez.alias = "Bose SoundLink Micro"
		device.icon_name = "audio-speakers-bluetooth"
	profiles:
		a2dp_sink: High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink) (priority 40, available: yes)
		a2dp_source: High Fidelity Capture (A2DP Source) (priority 20, available: no)
		headset_head_unit: Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP) (priority 30, available: no)
		off: Off (priority 0, available: yes)
	active profile: <a2dp_sink>
	sinks:
		bluez_sink.2C_41_A1_B2_2C_BF.a2dp_sink/#1: Bose SoundLink Micro
	sources:
		bluez_sink.2C_41_A1_B2_2C_BF.a2dp_sink.monitor/#2: Monitor of Bose SoundLink Micro
	ports:
		speaker-output: Speaker (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
			properties:

speaker-input: Bluetooth Input (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:

You can see - a2dp_sink is the only option, and correct option available.  So I/we are all positive that I have the correct setup as per Bose recommendations.  So here's the rub on the second part you just said " This could be an application or a piece of software in the background that uses a microphone, as the SoundLink Micro is able to be used for calls. " This is completely untrue with my speaker.  The code line

headset_head_unit: Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP) (priority 30, available: no)

shows this piece of hardware is incapable of what you're suggesting, or firmware in it/hardware is improperly working.  According to the documentation, if this had a microphone or the sorts, it would at least ALSO need to have HSP/HFP available.  The speaker tells the computer (not the other way around) that it does not have that functionality.  According to the documentation:

• A2DP:
    • Source role - the device that sends audio.
    • Sink role - the device that receives audio.
  • HSP:
    • Audio Gateway role - the device that the headset is connected to. The HSP profile is typically used in phone calls, and this is the device that is connected to the cellular network (for cellular phone calls) or to the internet (for VoIP calls). Typically a cellular phone or a PC.
    • Headset role - the headset, obviously. This is where the speakers and microphone are.
  • HFP:
    • Audio Gateway role - the device that the hands-free device is connected to. The HFP profile is typically used for cellular phone calls, and this is the device that is connected to the cellular network. Typically a cellular phone.
    • Hands-Free Unit role - the device with the speakers and microphone.

So, with that being said, there is NOTHING running in my microphone in the background, no "random software," no other programs.  The joy of LInux is that you don't have spyware applications like Windows.  I can run any number of scripts to verify this on my end if you like.  But I'm beyond 100% sure that nothing is using my microphone right now to interfere with it.  The real issue I'm running into, is that, I'm missing that audio profile you suggested I should have.  That would also explain the other anomoly that when connected, my speaker does not have use of it's volume functions.  If it had this audio profile, it would work like my headphones where I could have use of the volume buttons natively. 

I think we may have found my issue!  My speaker is missing the HSP/HFP audio profile from it's firmware!!! The kicker there is that you cannot have simultaneous connections (that I'm aware of)  So, if the preferred connection is a2dp, but you claim it also has call functionality, that could be something your Android app or Windows/ChomeOS apps have built into them.  Otherwise, my speaker may have shipped with outdated/incorrect firmware OR was defective in some other way in the first place. 

Could you verify on your end the available audio profiles of a known good unit for me?  Could you find out about if there has ever been firmware updates since this ticket was open (it was up to date prior to this, and I believe my phone checks as well, so it should be up to date, I just need help from you.)

We have made progress.  I still need your help.  I know you have developers on staff who run Linux (most do).  This is super frustrating.  I have spent a lot of money on a speaker I almost exclusively want to use with my computer, and thus far have only really got to listen to maybe a couple hours total in over a year with it.  It's incredibly disappointing to waste money like that.  I just want to get it working.

I'm awaiting your next reply with suggestions.  Thank you.

Edit;  I also have been chatting with someone who has a Bose Soundlink Mini, not Micro, and he says that his speaker works perfectly without any modifications at all on his Linux computer.  He also DOES NOT HAVE HSP/HFP availability either.  I'm very much leaning towards this being an issue with my hardware then?  I have now verified that at least some Bose speakers work without problem, and we have the same connections setup.  Our audio profiles seem to be the same. . .

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Another viable option - if you could provide the source code to your Android app, we can, without a doubt create a Linux application for your Bose Connect Android App.  Since Android runs a hacked Linux Kernel, it wouldn't take much tweaking for coders to create that.  Since my speaker seems to work with the Android app fine.  I just am rarely ever in the situation where I use my phone.  I use the portable speaker almost exclusively with my computer. . .

If Bose is unwilling to provide source code for the Community to create one for you for free, please could we have your developers create a snap'd?  Microsoft, Google, and lots of other companies are creating them for Linux use.  You can sign on as a developer, and produce a native Linux app from whatever code it's written in there very easily!

https://snapcraft.io/

It's the standard application space for Canonical/Linux apps, and you could help folks like me truly embrace Bose.  Again, I'll even do the leg work, sign privacy documents, whatever you want so I can create the app for you through snapcraft also.  If you already have code written, you're basically done!  It doesn't take long to create. 

And I suppose if it's not firmware on your end, it's not incorrect hardware, and you nor I can/are willing to allow creating of a Linux app through snapcraft. . . could you just point me in the direction of someone who could be able to return the product to you for a refund?  I've had this over a year now so I know bestbuy won't take it back and I have almost never used it because of the issues.  I always use the little jampack I picked up for almost nothing.  I would love to have a beautiful sounding speaker and I know $100 is not a lot of money necessarily, but I don't have that to spend again on a Wonderboom or Sony or something else that doesn't sound as good but at least works with my computer (I verified a week ago when I was getting my oil changed, they had a bestbuy next door with a very helpful employee.).  It's a lot to me.  I just don't know what else to do and I'm getting really desperate feeling like I have basically bought a brick.   I'm very frustrated and disappointed in this product, which is a shame because I know how great of a product it can be.  I've heard it, and when it works it's the best product out there. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Bump?  We're amidst a pandemic.  It'd be great to have music while the world goes quiet. . .

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 10, 2020

Hey Bose,

you've got another frustrated Linux user here !

Please help us make this wonderful speaker working correctly on Linux ! I've got the same crappy sound that fbodymechanic descibes !