fbodymechanic
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Sounds Fantastic AND Terrible! Bose Connect App Help?

I read a posting from August that is locked and I was unable to ask there.

I have a Bose Soundlink Micro and I love it.  It sounds fantastic, when it's connected to my phone through the Android Connect App. But alas, it's not available (as far as I know) for my Linux OS computer. 

It sounds utterly atrocious when I connect via my laptop though.  It will pair, but the volume buttons don't work, and it just sounds terrible and sloppy.  I run Manjaro Linux KDE (Arch based), but I have tried to get it to work on Debian/Ubuntu based distros also to no worthwhile luck.  There's one attempt at making the connect app work in Linux on the AUR, but it still needs more work. 

Since the Connect app is free in Android, is it possible for Bose to release the source code so someone can make this work properly on LInux distros for you?  I'd love to see this app turned into a snapd to bring bose into the Linux world.  Snapd would probably be your best, and most comprehensive application to cover nearly all Linux distros if you aren't already working on this.  I'm aware this question has been asked a few times (I've been searching here for a while now) and the comments from moderators just reply with "they will forward the concern to the development team."  It doesn't seem like that will ever happen since I read replies like that dating back a number of years now, and understand it's not high on the priority list for you.  I would like to try and get it done for on the Linux side and offer your development team a hand since they are obviously preoccupied with other tasks.

If there is a set date when something usable is coming out from Bose for ANY Linux distro, that information would be great.  Or could you at least comment about the progress upon it's development at least??  Are you 50% there?  90%?  A year?  A couple months away from it being realistically available?  Please don't reply with you will forward this information to the dev team, that's been posted a number of times already, and I'm sure you will anyway.  I would love to use this product with my computer at home and have it sound as great as it does on my phone.  Right now it sounds atrocious, and I don't want this to be my last Bose purchase when there's people out here who would like to help you make this a reality for us Bose enthusiasts!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Sounds Fantastic AND Terrible! Bose Connect App Help?

Hello fbodymechanic, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing poor audio with your Linux OS Laptop whilst connected to your SoundLink Micro. 

At this time, the Bose Connect App is only available on iOS and Android, for this app to be apart of computer downloads is currently not in the future development of this application to our knowledge. I apologise for any disappointment this provides however I will still happily assist you with some troubleshooting to resolve this issue. 

For a test, can you please connect your SoundLink Micro to your computer with a cabled connection to see if you still get the same poor audio. 

Does this poor audio also occur with any particular applications? Can you test a variety of streaming applications and audio to test for varied results. 

Please let us know, we would love to get this resolved for you. 

Kind regards, 

Tegan M - Community Support

fbodymechanic
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Re: Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Sounds Fantastic AND Terrible! Bose Connect App Help?

@Tegan_M wrote:

Hello fbodymechanic, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing poor audio with your Linux OS Laptop whilst connected to your SoundLink Micro. 

At this time, the Bose Connect App is only available on iOS and Android, for this app to be apart of computer downloads is currently not in the future development of this application to our knowledge. I apologise for any disappointment this provides however I will still happily assist you with some troubleshooting to resolve this issue. 

For a test, can you please connect your SoundLink Micro to your computer with a cabled connection to see if you still get the same poor audio. 

Does this poor audio also occur with any particular applications? Can you test a variety of streaming applications and audio to test for varied results. 

Please let us know, we would love to get this resolved for you. 

Kind regards, 

Tegan M - Community Support

If you could help me trouble shoot on my system that would be fantastic!  Troubleshooting for me:  When I connected my bose soundlink to my computer via USB, nothing happened other than it started charging.  I used both a USB 3.0 and 2.0 USB port.  My computer didn't even register it as a device.  Therefore I could not test "wired" audio connection.  I tried two different types of USB->micro cables - one for fast charging a Samsung Galaxy phone, as well as a generic USB->micro cable. 

Poor audio occurs with all computer applications.  Spotify, youtube, pandora, netflix, firefox, brave, VLC, literally everything I try and play through it when connected via bluetooth to my computer sounds awful.  Is there any other application you'd like me to try?  If not, what is my next step in troubleshooting.

Flip side, every one of those applications sounds fantastic when I play it through my Android phone. 

Bose Connect App did work natively on my chromebook, and it worked flawlessly! And believe it or not, you are currently developing it for Linux - Android is in fact built on Linux!  You're already a good 90%+ of the way to having a fully functioning Linux product that would open you up for use on millions of computers around the world, including me. I would love to help you get the last 10% if you're willing to help.  Again, if you're serious about opening up to the world of Linux, I'd love to help you get this app turned into a snapd for Linux download! 

Hello fbodymechanic,

Thanks for getting back in touch and providing such detailed information this is very helpful!

It's interesting that you are not experiencing poor quality when using your Android phone, only on your computer. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with the settings of the computer that are interfering with the sound quality, I recommend that you test the headphones with another computer if you have one or can borrow one for the test. 

I am also curious to know whether your computer supports A2DP or if it is using HSP/HFP, you should be able to find this out in the specs section of your computer user manual. 

Kindest regards,
Zoe C

fbodymechanic
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

They aren't headphones, it's a soundlink micro bluetooth speaker.

There's no issue with audio on my wife's Macbook Pro, and it works fine on my buddy's Chromebook where we were able to download the Bose Connect App.

Both of my computers run Manjaro Linux - one KDE, one XFCE.  I'm already aware the issue lies within my current operating system.  I started out in my first post saying that.  I also had the same problem on GalliumOS (another Linux distro).  I did not pull up any information about A2DP or HSP/HFP.  That is why I would like to help your developers.

The user manual for my OS can be found here:  https://mirrors.xtom.com/osdn//storage/g/m/ma/manjaro/Manjaro-User-Guide.pdf

The manual for my compuer also didn't pull up any results:  https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-7548-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

Please advise my next step in my trouble shooting.

fbodymechanic
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Also, since it seems like the next logical question you will ask me.  I also have a Samsung Soundbar I use with my TV.  When connected to my soundbar via bluetooth, I have zero sound quality issues.  The same is true for my Jaybird bluetooth headphones.  The only issue I have is with my Bose Soundlink Micro. 

Hello fbodymechanic, 

Please accept my apologies for the confusion about the product in question. 

I'd like to mention that having the Bose Connect platform will not produce the ability to alter any sound quality settings that would benefit in this scenario. This application is simply for delivering firmware updates, naming the speaker, enabling stereo/party mode if available, etc. We do not have any plans to release a desktop version for any platform, including Linux, Mac, and Windows.

I do not have any first-hand experience with the Linux platform, however, I do believe that this issue relates solely to the Bluetooth profiles being used. Upon researching, there seems to be a few articles relating to similar issues. This article talks about setting the card's profile to A2DP which is necessary in the case to produce the expected audio quality. Poor quality sound with bluetooth headset. It is possible that the speaker is connecting to the HSP/HFP profile. Here's another article that talks about this. How to get Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth Working.

Additionally, I'd like to open up this conversation to other members of the Bose Community who may actually have experience with the Linux operating system. 

If you have any questions, please do let me know.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

fbodymechanic
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

@Charlotte_G wrote:

I do not have any first-hand experience with the Linux platform, however, I do believe that this issue relates solely to the Bluetooth profiles being used. Upon researching, there seems to be a few articles relating to similar issues. This article talks about settings the card's profile to A2DP which is necessary in the case to produce the expected audio quality. Poor quality sound with bluetooth headset.

I have run pacmd list-cards and have verified that current active profile is ad2p and is how I'm currently connected to my bose speaker. 

pacmd list-cards returns this information:

index: 2
name: <bluez_card.2C_41_A1_B2_2C_BF>
driver: <module-bluez5-device.c>
owner module: 28
properties:
device.description = "Bose SoundLink Micro"
device.string = "2C:41:A1:B2:2C:BF"
device.api = "bluez"
device.class = "sound"
device.bus = "bluetooth"
bluez.path = "/org/bluez/hci0/dev_2C_41_A1_B2_2C_BF"
bluez.class = "0x000000"
bluez.alias = "Bose SoundLink Micro"
device.icon_name = "audio-card-bluetooth"
profiles:
a2dp_sink: High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink) (priority 40, available: yes)
headset_head_unit: Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP) (priority 30, available: no)
off: Off (priority 0, available: yes)
active profile: <a2dp_sink>
sinks:
bluez_sink.2C_41_A1_B2_2C_BF.a2dp_sink/#1: Bose SoundLink Micro
sources:
bluez_sink.2C_41_A1_B2_2C_BF.a2dp_sink.monitor/#2: Monitor of Bose SoundLink Micro
ports:
unknown-output: Bluetooth Output (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
properties:

unknown-input: Bluetooth Input (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
properties:

fbodymechanic
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

@Charlotte_G wrote:

I'd like to mention that having the Bose Connect platform will not produce the ability to alter any sound quality settings that would benefit in this scenario. This application is simply for delivering firmware updates, naming the speaker, enabling stereo/party mode if available, etc. We do not have any plans to release a desktop version for any platform, including Linux, Mac, and Windows.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Interesting observation on my end.  I used the bose connect app on my desktop!! My chromebook (Acer 14 Edgar) running ChromeOS can use the google play store.  And my bose speaker worked perfectly with the app on that computer!  I had dual boot setup on that computer so I could also load into Linux, same computer, same drivers, same hardware and it sounded like slop on the other OS.  I have a suspicion that the App does in have something to do with audio quality because of that.  There's one person out there who was trying to recreate the bose connect app so we could use it on Linux.  You can find it on github or on the AUR. I wasn't able to get the build right in my computer, and it didn't work for me though. 

I know you opened it up to help from the community here.  I hope to hear from them.  The flip side is very few developers have no Linux history, and I'm sure someone on your team would have an idea how to help with this. 

Would you be willing to connect me with someone from the development team who is interested in helping us create something for snapd, github or the AUR so we could bring this properly to Linux? 

fbodymechanic
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

@Charlotte_G wrote:

If you have any questions, please do let me know.

I do still have 2 questions since I would really like to get this working.  I really would love my Bose speaker, and I'd be really disappointed if I can't get it working properly. 

1.  I was able to verify that my audio output is A2DP, what would be your next suggestion for diagnosis and fixing of the poor sound quality?

2. Did you have any success when reaching out to the development team?

Please let me know!!!  I'm anxiously waiting, hoping to listen to music on my computer again.