Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

Bose Soundlink Color II - DISABLE AUTO TURN ON FEATURE (BLE)

Good morning, 

While I love my Bose Soundlink Color II for quality listening around the house, there is a feature that I can no longer accept!!! It uses BLE to detect when a previously paired device is turned on, and it turns on and pairs to the device without asking for any input from me.  I'm sure your engineers had the best intentions, but without the ability to turn this feature off, this speaker is becoming a real black hole. 

When getting ready for a Zoom meeting, the speaker magically turns on, and completely ruins my setup.... Where is the speaker? I don't know, where did we leave it? Is it in the bedroom? Is it in the basement? I don't know, but it's turned on and making it impossible to configure my speakers and microphones on my computer!!!

Mowing the lawn? Have another device in my ear, listening to music there. In the back corner of the yard where the bluetooth doesn't detect is fine... But then I walk closer to the house, and it pairs. This disconnects my earbuds, or results in a "connected to.... blah blah blah". Then I walk further away in the yard, it disconnects... "disconnected from, blah, blah, blah"..... 

The only option for us is to turn off bluetooth in my laptop so that doesn't connect every time. Or de-pair the device EVERY SINGLE TIME.  And that is a pain in the butt! It's not right! 

So i downloaded the latest firmware and I searched and searched. I'm not the only one who does NOT like this feature. There are users complaining from 2018 about this... So where is the option to turn it off? Where can I turn off the Bose Soundlink Color II "Auto Turn On when Detecting Device Turned On" feature (BLE)???? Please tell me there is a hidden setting to turn this off. I found a way to turn off Auto Shut Off... that is NOT what I'm asking for. Please give me the ability to turn off the Auto Turn ON function. 

Thanks!!!!

Jay

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Bose Soundlink Color II - DISABLE AUTO TURN ON FEATURE (BLE)

Hello JayShoe, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! We completely understand your frustrations with this feature and appreciate the feedback.  

If any other users would like to see the ability to toggle BLE please do let us know below 😊.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

Re: Bose Soundlink Color II - DISABLE AUTO TURN ON FEATURE

I JUST got my Color 2 a few days ago. And I already want the ability to disable the Auto On function.  It messes with my other bluetooth Bose devices, and the way I wanted to use it/them.  My reasons are exactly, exactly, as described by JayShoe.  It's sooo frustrating - already!  J

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 4, 2020

I also would like to disable the "auto on" feature. It is a very frustrating feature and I am very surprised there isn't the option to disable. Sometimes I want to use headphones instead of the speaker. Also oftentimes I don't need audio and would prefer to conserve battery on the speaker. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

Hello, 

There is a work-around.  Before turning off your Bose Soundlink Color, press the "aux input" button. That is the button that has an arrow, with a circle in the middle. Then turn off the speaker. 

1. Turn on your speaker. 

2. Hit the AUX INPUT button

3. Turn off your speaker. 

By doing this, the Bose Soundlink Color II will no longer automatically turn on when a previously paired device turns on. However, I do not consider this a viable workaround in the long run. This assumes that I remember to do this, and furthermore assumes that the rest of the people in my household will also remember to do this. And will remember to then hit the Bluetooth button to begin working with a paired device. That's not likely and will lead to confusion in my household... I do not accept this as a solution. 

A firmware upgrade could very easily resolve this issue permanently for those of us who wish to disable the "Auto Turn On" function.  As an example, to turn off the "Auto Turn Off" function, the user can press and hold the Bluetooth® and + buttons simultaneously. My recommendation would be to simply add a similar command to therefore disable the "Auto Turn On"... An example could be something like "press and hold the Power and + buttons simultaneously", or "press and hold the Aux In and + button simultaneously".  Something like this would probably amount to about 5 lines of code... Please do this! 🙂

Jay

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 15, 2020

@Hector_BI too would love to have this feature added to my Bose Soundlink Color II. Thanks for your effort!

@JayShoeThat workaround doesn't seem to work (around) for me. What I did is turn off the voice prompts: hold - and + buttons until the voice prompts one last time that it's been turned off. That at least somewhat eases the pain 🙂

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 12, 2020

This workaround does not seem to work for me either.

To be honest, the fact that the speaker has built-in microphone makes BLE a potential violation of our privacy.  

I NOT impressed. When are Bose going to fix this? 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 30, 2020

Bose Soundlink Color II - DISABLE AUTO TURN ON FEATURE (BLE)

Admittedly Bluetooth is complicated, that said the BLE is cool but when connected on Windows 10 it only gives you the choice to Unpair, Disconnect, Remove as option for auto Turn On situation. Also, when I want to listen to a different speaker it takes the connection so then I have to manually switch. I noticed that somewhere my SLC II lost the ability to control the volume, too via vol/up down on unit. Why can't there be a firmware rollback to original state as sold and shipped, was there a potential liability in operation either malware, etc. or physical? Then I wonder also why Microsoft Windows doesn't have a pick and choose so you can just opt to either  "allow" - or "disallow/off"  a paired unit without unpairing, disconnecting or uninstalling? My speaker is several years old now but still sounds so nice. I thought it had a severe battery problem and was kaput but then discovered that it was draining due to me not realizing that it was on and draining as I am on my PC for hours and didn't even know the speaker was on by itself in another room. I tried running latest updater for this and it did nada zip zero zilch. This thing needs a Kaizen!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 11, 2020

I am going to sell the device on aftermarket due to the Auto ON finction. It woke mi up several times in the middle of the night just informing it was able to connetc with my laptop. This device is literally terrorising me. Anyone intersted in buying it? I am affriand not...

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 21, 2020

Dear BOSE, concerns and frustration about the lack of enable/disable AUTO-ON feature have been requested in several posts such as this one, through many years. Please, take action. Since the enable/disable AUTO-OFF feature already exists, it doesn't seem a lot to request through an update of the bose connect app. It is indeed a shared and popular frustration with a product, that would otherwise be perfect. Kindly, reply to this message.