Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuntmanmike
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2020

Bose Soundlink III drops connection after connecting

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Bose Soundlink III speaker (Model 414255).

I've bought it second hand, but it is in brand new condition, the original owner has not used it more than twice.

So my problem is, that when I start playing music on my iMac 2019 it automatically starts playing on the speaker, however, after like 10 seconds the connection drops and the speaker's Bluetooth sign starts blinking and it shows "not connected" on my iMac. I need to reconnect on the iMac, then it works perfectly.

Could you tell me what should do as it is very annoying and this is not the quality I'd expect from a company like Bose?

I've done the reset processes (both).

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
Vicky_W

Re: Bose Soundlink III drops connection after connecting

Hey Stuntmanmike, 

Welcome to the forums and thanks for choosing Bose. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your SoundLink III mobile speaker. To enable us to assist further, please confirm the following: 

- Operating system version

- Confirm if the issue occurs if tested on other devices (e.g smartphone, tablet.)

- Confirm if you have tried fully unpairing, and tried pairing the speaker back up to the computer. If you haven't, to remove all paired devices from the speaker, please hold the Bluetooth button for around 10 seconds on the speaker. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
stuntmanmike
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2020

Hey Wicky,

thanks for your reply.

My os is 10.15.6.

It seems to be working correctly if I stream from my iPhone 11 Pro iOS 13.6

Yes, I've tried unpairing and resetting the speaker to the factory settings.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know that stuntmanmike!

As this is only happening with your iMac, what I would recommend doing is resetting the Bluetooth module on the iMac. To do this what you will want to do is:

• On your Mac, press and hold the Shift + Option (Alt) keys together.
  • While you pressing the keys, click the Bluetooth icon in the top-right corner of the macOS Catalina menu bar. (if you do not see the Bluetooth icon, go to System Preferences > Bluetooth and select “Show Bluetooth in menu bar.”).
  • This will reveal a new menu. Click Debug.
  • Click Reset the Bluetooth module.
  • Restart your Mac.

Let me know how this goes!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
stuntmanmike
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2020

Hey,

I did what you recommended, but the same thing happened. It connects then it drops the connection and the music (or any other sound) play on the iMac.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for the update!

It is strange that this is only happening with the iMac. I was speaking to another user HERE who had a similar issue with their headphones and their Mac. They discovered that when they turned off Wi-Fi on the Mac they were able to keep a connection. Does the same thing happen with your iMac?

If so then the disconnections are likely being caused by wireless interference. It's possible that something like your router is interfering with the Bluetooth signal. If your router is too close to the laptop or headphones, then it could be interfering with the Bluetooth signal between the laptop and headphones. I'd recommend having your router at least 1.5/2 meters away from the laptop and headphones if possible.

It would also be worth looking at what other wireless devices are near or between the laptop and headphones. While the router is the most likely cause of the interference, there may be other wireless devices contributing to this as well. I tend to find things like wireless printers and cordless phone bases are the most common causes of interference if it is not the router, but any wireless device could potentially interfere as well. Try turning off any nearby wireless devices, and leave the Wi-Fi on the laptop enabled, and see if you get the same problem with the audio stopping.

I hope this helps, let me know!

stuntmanmike
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2020

Hi!

I've placed the speaker next to the Mac and the same thing happens. 

Hector_B

Thanks for updating me on this stuntmanmike, 

Have you attempted to turn off Wi-Fi as suggested above as well? I would also like to know if you have this issue with any other Bluetooth devices that are connected to the iMac? 

We look forward to hearing back from you. 

stuntmanmike
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2020

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I've tried it with the wifi turned off. Still, the same thing is happening. No, other Bluetooth devices are fine.

Jessie_O

Hey Stuntmanmike, 

Thank you for coming back to us and letting us know the steps you have tried already. 

As the speaker is only experiencing this issue with your iMac, It is unlikely to be an issue with the speaker. Therefore, I would recommend that you reach out to Apple to see if there is anything they could suggest to get this working for you as we have tried all the steps we would normally recommend for this issue. 

Let us know how you get on!