Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

Bose Soundlink Revolve Software Updater

This is the last throw of the dice ... My Soundlink Revolve seems to have died.  I have tried all recommended actions with with no joy - it does not even respond when plugged in to the mains and retains no charge.  The last thing to try - although i am not holding out much hope - is the updater.  I have downloaded it to my PC running Windows 10.  Every time I try to run the app I just get the message "access denied".  It seems to be a problem with the app rather than being blocked by Windows.  I can't do it through the mobile app as bluetooth in the speaker is not working.  Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Bose Soundlink Revolve Software Updater

Hi @garygarold, thanks for posting! 

Sorry that your SoundLink Revolve is not working as it should. 

Could you confirm that you are using the updater from btu.bose.com

Does your PC recognize that a device has been plugged in at all?

It's not possible to use the updater on a mobile device. Do you have access to any other computers/laptops?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

Yes, it is the Bose updater on my pc. The pc recognises the existence of the speaker but no sound comes through when it is selected. 

Highlighted

@garygarold Do you mean that the PC recognizes the speaker through the Bluetooth list or the device manager?

Is it possible to send over a screenshot of the error you are receiving?

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

There's no Bluetooth recognition, just that a new piece of hardware has been connected.  I have got access to another computer.  I will download the updater to it to see if there is any difference then get back to you. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

The latest news:  the updater worked on the other computer .  It ran through and says the speaker is updated.  However, what I am seeing is exactly the same as before - pulsing orange light and no life in the unit.  The speaker is recognised by the pc as hardware but will not make a sound.  It has been "charging" for over 24 hours now with no  noticeable difference.  The light goes out when the speaker is removed from the charger.  Does this mean the problem is most likely to be battery failure or is there another option?

I tried to screenshot but can't see the option.  This is the text from the screen

SoundLink Revolve 

Your product is up-to-date. If you’d like to update a different product, connect it to your computer. If you’re done, you can disconnect your product and quit the app.
 Version 3.0.4
  • Fixed pairing issues with Windows 10
  • Fixed bugs and did some general cleaning under the hood
Highlighted

Thanks for the update garygarold!

If the speaker is still not charging after the update, I would recommend reaching out to your local support team to get the speaker booked for a service. You can find the contact information for your local team at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps!

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@garygaroldWith all due respect to Bose, it is not always a battery problem.  I had the problem some months ago with both my Revolves not charging (stopped at 90% or actually went down while charging).  Sent them in - batteries and circuit replaced and it happened on the returned units.  Then I sent them both in for new Revolves and it happened again on one of the brand new units.  6 times in all.

I can't speak for you, but what I am guessing is that the Revolves needs 1.55amps to charge and I was charging it in a 1 amp USB slot (computer, monitor or battery charger with one lightning bolt).  Once you do that - the Revolve gets totally messed up and then nothing will work to charge it - even a brick/wall or 2 amp USB.

Now I can't guarantee what I did works for you - its a modified process from what Bose suggests and it may need to be done MULTIPLE times - but it has worked for all 6 of my times and a few others have been successful.

So you may want to try this first to save some bucks (costs me around $65 to $70 US per unit to send in plus 2 to 3 weeks downtime).  I have specified it elsewhere in many posts including the one marked GREEN below.

And no matter whether it works or you get it fixed ALWAYS charge in a 2 amp USB port which means either a brick to a wall socket or a 2 amp battery USB port (with two lightning bolts).

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

Thanks for that.  I did see your post earlier but put my query in because I have only ever charged the unit in the wall socket.  It does just seem to have lost all charge while I was away which itself is a strange thing to happen.  I must admit I was hopeful when the updater worked but it hasn't got to the route of the problem.  I won't be paying for a repair - not really economic to do so given the quality of cheaper machines these days!  Thanks again.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

I thought that would be the only solution.  I have checked local prices and don't think it is an economic prospect to have it repaired, particularly in light of some of the comments posted on the community about problems persisting.  Many thanks for the help of you and your team.  To say I am disappointed in the outcome is something of an understatement.  I didn't expect such a catastrophic failure of a piece of kit with the Bose name on it, particularly when it hasn't been overused while I have owned it.