Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Can't Link SoundLink Air with my Mac after upgrade to Mac OS 10.15.1 (Catalina)

I can't link my SoundLink Air with my Mac after I updated the Mac OS to Catalina 10.15.1.

I attempted to download and use the Bose wifi setup app but a message was displayed that the app is not compatible with Catalina and needs to be updated.

I then attempted to use the reset button on my SoundLink Air but that just caused the unit to keep flashing the amber wifi light.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Re: Can't Link SoundLink Air with my Mac after upgrade to Mac OS 10.15.1 (Catalina)

Author Accepted Answer selected by bvdpa

Hi Jeff,

Your procedure was accurate and now my SoundLink Air speaker is connected to my WiFi and it sounds awesome as always.  I have powered the speaker off and on a couple times and I also rebooted my Mac to verify that the speaker works.

The issue that interfered with my following your procedure initially was that my Mac was connected to my WiFi via an Ethernet connection.

Even though I activated the WiFi on my Mac and was able to connect to the Bose SoundLink Air network via the WiFi settings, the Ethernet hookup took priority and caused me to navigate to my router instead of the Bose site whenever I entered the site you mentioned in your previous note.  

Once I disconnected the Ethernet connection, activated the WiFi on my Mac, connected to the Bose SoundLink Air network and entered the address you gave me I quickly connected to the Bose website, followed the instructions, and everything is now OK.

Thanks for your help!

BVDPA

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 10, 2019

Re: Can't Link SoundLink Air with my Mac after upgrade to Mac OS 10.15.1 (Catalina)

I have the same problem.  I updated to 10.15.0 a while ago, and then to 10.15.1.  The bluetooth connection just drops out every now and then, but my external Macbook speakers don't pick up the sound. I'm hoping Bose will come out with a fix soon.  Love my headphones, but I can't use them with my laptop anymore.

Highlighted

Hello, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your SoundLink Air Digital Music System connecting to your Mac. 

Is it just via WiFi you are experiencing issues with audio?

Do you get any audio if you connect your SoundLink Air to your computer via AUX?

I would suggest in performing a reboot of your Mac, this can be beneficial after performing an update to help correct any minor processing errors. 

Do let us know, we would love to get this resolved for you. 

Kind regards, 

Tegan M - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 10, 2019

Already did all that, unless you mean something else by “reboot,” like maybe “reset to factory?” Don’t know what you mean by connecting via AUX, either. I connected my headset to my Mac via usb to upgrade its software, but I don’t know any other way to connect it to my Mac’s sound system other than Bluetooth, which, of course, requires WiFi.

It’s the upgrade to Mac OS 10.15 that caused the problem. Soundlink connects just fine with my PC and my iPad. And it connects just fine to my Mac. (Yes, I re-paired it already, several times, and I erased all my other Bluetooth connections beforehand as well.) It just won’t STAY connected. Keeps disconnecting at random intervals. To reconnect, I have to turn off Bluetooth on my Mac, turn it on again, reconnect. Then a few minutes later, it drops again. Meanwhile, Mac external speakers remain on mute.  

Love the headset. It has never malfunctioned before. I think the problem is with Apple.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Hi Tegan,

This is BVDPA.

Thanks for responding to my post and I apologize for the delayed response. I have been away on vacation since November 4.

The issue is that the Sondlink Air speaker cannot connect to the Wifi since I updated the Mac OS to 10.15.1 (Catalina).

A couple minutes ago I double checked the Bose WiFi set up file that is available at www.Bose.com/wifisetup and received the same message that I received a couple weeks ago -> it needs to be updated so it will be compatible with the Mac OS 10..15.1.

I connected my SoundLink Air speaker to my Mac via the AUX port as you suggested and it worked so I know the problem is not with the speaker.

I have rebooted my Mac a couple times - no luck. The speaker does not appear as an available speaker on the Mac.

Whenever I attach power to my SoundLink Air speaker the amber WiFi light keeps blinking which indicates that it is searching for a WiFi but it cannot connect.

This has been a terrific speaker, as are all the other Bose speakers that I have in my house.  I'd like to be able to keep using it!

Any help to resolve this would be appreciated.
BVDPA
Highlighted

Hello all, 

Thanks for getting in touch via the Bose Community. 

If you have issues using the Bose WiFi setup application, I would recommend performing an alternate setup as a workaround. Please find the instructions below. 

To connect to Wi-Fi (alternate method):

1. On the back of your product, disconnect the power cord and any connected cables
  2. Reconnect power, then wait 30 seconds
  3. On the bottom of the product, press and hold the Reset button for about two seconds until the Wi-Fi light is solid amber
  4. Wait about 30 seconds until you hear a tone from your product
  5. On a computer or mobile device, go to the Wi-Fi settings and connect to BoseSoundLink Air Network
  6. Open a web browser and go to http://192.168.1.1
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Please let me know how you get on. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Hi Jeff,

This is BVDPA.

I performed steps 1 through 5 without any difficulties.

But when I used Safari and entered the web address you listed Safari fired back a message that it could not connect to the server.

I then closed Safari and opened FireFox, entered the web address, and it took me to my router.  I then used another app to confirmed the address of my Netgear router - it is indeed the same address 192.168.1.1.  I then closed FireFox and open Chrome.  I entered the address and it too took me to my router.

I need a different web address to get to the instructions you mentioned.

Thanks for your help,

BVDPA

Highlighted

Hello bvdpa,

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Can you please check to ensure the computer has connected to the Bose SoundLink Air network? the address will not load if you haven't connected to the network. It can sometimes take a while for the connection to establish even after clicking on it. 

If you still have issues, please try to factory reset the speaker before going into alternate setup mode.

To restore the factory default settings:

1. Disconnect power for 30 seconds
  2. On the back of the product, disconnect the power cord
  3. If the accessory battery pack is connected, disconnect it also
  4. Reconnect power
  5. On the bottom of the product, press and hold the Reset button for about 15 seconds until the Wi-Fi LED turns off
  6. Wait for the reset to complete. The Wi-Fi light blinks amber when finished. (Tip: If the light does not blink amber, be sure the product is not selected in any AirPlay device menu)
  7. If the accessory battery pack was previously connected, reconnect it.

I hope this helps, 

Jeff G

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by bvdpa

Hi Jeff,

Your procedure was accurate and now my SoundLink Air speaker is connected to my WiFi and it sounds awesome as always.  I have powered the speaker off and on a couple times and I also rebooted my Mac to verify that the speaker works.

The issue that interfered with my following your procedure initially was that my Mac was connected to my WiFi via an Ethernet connection.

Even though I activated the WiFi on my Mac and was able to connect to the Bose SoundLink Air network via the WiFi settings, the Ethernet hookup took priority and caused me to navigate to my router instead of the Bose site whenever I entered the site you mentioned in your previous note.  

Once I disconnected the Ethernet connection, activated the WiFi on my Mac, connected to the Bose SoundLink Air network and entered the address you gave me I quickly connected to the Bose website, followed the instructions, and everything is now OK.

Thanks for your help!

BVDPA

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 23, 2019

It worked perfectly, thanks a lot

Regards

RAS