Highlighted
Mickel
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

Get a feature to disable auto-on for the soundlink micro now please!

The "feature" that bluetooth always in on even if in low power mode is very annoying. The micro keeps starting up every time you turn on different devices like PC etc. if you do not have bluetooth disabled. You should add a SW switch in the app so that you can disable this feature since it is very annoying, drains the battery etc. etc.. When can we expect this to be addressed in a new release?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Get a feature to disable auto-on for the soundlink micro now please!

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jeff_G

Hi Sacedric, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

This isn't a feature that is currently available and is something that has been raised to our development team. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Mickel,

Thank you for the post. The ability to turn off auto connect is a feature that we are aware of and has been presented to engineering to see if it can be implemented. We will let the community know if we have any news!

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

sacedric
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 11, 2019

Good morning, has this been resolved yet?

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jeff_G

Hi Sacedric, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

This isn't a feature that is currently available and is something that has been raised to our development team. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Ken_807
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

Hi. My apologies if this is a little long winded but this is more for the Bose moderators as I have just stumbled across this feed.

I have just received a replacement Bose Soundlink Micro following a conversation with Bose support where I reported that my speaker was powering on automatically. I mentioned that it seemed like a firmware issue rather than a fault but it was replaced promplty anyway. Great support so far.

I have just powered on my replacement and it does not seem to power on automatically so everything seems to be working fine. I am currently running firmware v1.0.14 and have noticed that the app now states there is an update ready to install. I am worried that this will then enable the auto on function so am holding off updating at present.

There is no information stating what version is about to be installed and I cannot find release notes on the firmware version history. Can you advise if updating will mean the speaker will start powering on automatically? Can you also advise if there is anyway to find out what version is about to be installed and also share a link to the release notes of the firmware as it would be very useful to find out what changes are about to take place before installing the firmware?

As mentioned I am holding off updating at present but presume the software may install this automatically at some point.

Thanks

Hello Ken_807, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

Whilst I am unable to confirm the exact firmware update that this feature was brought in, I can confirm that updating the speaker will bring it onto the latest available firmware update which is 2.6.0. 

This will ensure that all possible features and bug fixes have been put onto the speaker and we would advise doing this to prevent any issues occurring. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Ken_807
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

Hi Vicky,

Many thanks for your prompt response. Can you share a link with the firmware release notes? This is standard however I cannot find the website for this?

I will hold off updating as updating the firmware on the replaced speaker will introduce a bug immediately by making the speaker power on automatically with no way of controlling this.

Can you also advise if there is any way to downgrade the firmware if it is indeed this that has caused the auto on? I stumbled across this site (https://btu.bose.com) which I thought may contain a way to downgrade but have not progressed through this.

I only ask as there are several of these speakers in my office area and at present they have all been removed and are now sitting at a different location in a box. It is somewhat embarrassing when they power on and start playing music from a cupboard in a room with a meeting in progress because an employee wishes to play music on their own laptop. The only options I can see are asking everyone to unpair or keep manually disconnecting as the bluetooth needs to be active on the various devices that have a pairing in place. If there is any other way to prevent this please let me know as removing them looks the easiest option for now.

Many thanks, Ken

sacedric
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 11, 2019

I'd like to second Ken's request for a link to the release notes. I'd like to see it in writing where it says "Speaker will not automagically turn on in your bag that is up in the overhead bin when you turn off Airplane mode and start playing the podcast you were listening too and you can't get to it because you are not at the gate yet." Or at least something close to that.  

Hey Ken_807, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

There is not a way to download the firmware on a device and I would not recommend trying any of the steps online as I have seen these damage a lot of products in the past. 

The introduction of the auto on feature was not a bug, but an implemented feature. It allowed compatibility with other devices that required the speaker to be able to do this. We have submitted a feature request on users' behalfs to have a toggle that determines if this is on or not. 

In regards to firmware release notes, we publish these on the community every time there is an available update to a product. You can find all of the release notes for the latest firmware here. 

I hope this helps to address your questions. 

Please let me know if you need anything else. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Ken_807
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

Thanks for the information Vicky and this may seem a little backward as I had a 45 minute conversation with Bose support this morning where I noted what was said. I am simply sharing the result for the benefit of others...

The support member stated the speakers will not power on automatically under any circumstance. I mentioned that this site (and others) hinted that there was an feature in a recent update that meant they would power on however the support member advised that they have access to more detailed information and this was not the case. I/we have eight of these devices in our office area and I did mention that it was strange that all the devices have the same 'fault' and thought that a firmware update being rolled out made more sense but that was that.

I was advised that there were no release notes surrounding the firmware versions and although I had found the link mentioned in the previous update I was hoping for something a little more detailed as there have presumably been many more updates.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
The Bose support member advised that as all of these have the same fault they would replace them for brand new devices. I stated that upon receiving the new devices I presumed that the same issue would arise if the firmware is updated however she stated this was not the case.

I have already had my own personal device replaced and this is running firmware v1.0.14 which works absolutely fine in that the speaker works as it should and does not power on automatically.

I agree with Vicky in that I would not downgrade firmware unless provided with a method of doing so. I also believe (and hope) that the firmware does not update automatically and will probably uninstall the Bose app to ensure my version remains as is for the time being.

Anyway, this firmware works for me and I will keep an eye out for any future updates and upgrade if the notes mention a fix.

Although the telephone support assistant did not seem to understand me initially I wish to thank Bose for the time and effort thus far as the replacement was dealt with promptly and even their input in this post and submitting a feature request for the future has been fairly efficient. It does reassure me to see the manufacturer get involved with the community pages.