sc2118
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

Re: How to switch off my SoundLink Micro Bluetooth® speaker

Author Accepted Answer selected by fredinasia

It looks like this issue was never resolved.  I'm just going to return my speaker and get something else.  I can't have it turning itself on automatically.

ctstan
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 30, 2018

Same problem. With both soundlink color II and soundlink micro. this thread said they were aware in July. New firmware came out last week that specifically said it had improvements for bose connect and had a firmware update.... problem just happened again when I opened my laptop.

Between this and the fact you can only pair two speakers at a time.... these things are going on eBay and I switching to JBL. I hate it as I feel sound quality is a little better... but not THAT much. 😞

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

As mentioned in various topics in this forum:

1. Wait for an update and hope it will be addressed (has not been addressed in last update dating back in May 2018). Nothing new is in sight!

2. Switch to "AUX" mode. It will stay off

3. Return it as long as you can

The downgrade to a ON/OFF version is no longer available for "best customer experience".

HermannS

triple A
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2018

This (problem) is caused by the bose connect app. Once you fosrce stop it, the problem resolves until you open the app again. If you really want to get rid of it, uninstall the bose connect app.(But install it occasionally for the updates)
Curtis Mears
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2018

Just got the Bose Micro from my kids for Christmas. Issue is the speaker never turns off. I plug in headphones, and the speaker still turns itself on. This is not acceptable as a product and will need to be returned. 

sc2118
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2018

Thank you for your possible solution. Can you please confirm that if you uninstall the app, then turn the Bluetooth off on your phone and turn it back on, it doesn't wake the speaker?
triple A
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2018

No it does not work, even when I force stop the app. Must have been a fluke when I first tried the technique. I am sorry, is there a way to delete that comment?
Highlighted
HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi!

Unfortunately BOSE is not able to listen to their costumer's needs. The flaw exists since the firmware release in February 2018 (now almost first anniversary) and has not been addressed in the May 2018 update.

Search in this forum on topics about the Revolve/Revolve+ ("SHAME", "never turns off" ... as tags). These SoundLink products share a common firmware core. In June 2018 BOSE decided to withdraw the abbility to downgrade to an earlier firmware version without this flaw.

To make it short: I recommend, that you return it. In case you want to keep it: Turn off the voice prompts and switch to AUX if you want to have it off.

While some smartphones trigger a power on, some don't. PCs and Macs trigger the "on", too. So, it is hard to say in which combination the device stays off or not. With the AUX trick it stays off.

Please report to BOSE support. It is now almost ONE YEAR we are being held for being stupid/crazy/annoying. Don't expect an official statement, that they will fix it. The best you get, is that they are "aware". We - the "valued customers" - are waiting patiently.

Concerning my Revolve: I'm happy, that I've switched back to an old version of the firmware before it has been removed from the BOSE servers ("for best customer experience" - of course!).

The BOSE Connect App does the update in the background! So, be aware, that in case you a flawless version on your SoundLink, you'll get the annoying one when you use the App.

Merry Christmas!

HermannS

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

I do not work for Bose but I have many different Bose bluetooth devices. Though I do not have a Micro, I do have two Revolve's, a QC35ii (used to have a QC35i), a soundsport wired and a Soundlink Mini.  I have lurked in and posted in both headphone forums and this one.  I just wanted to take a step back and address in my opinion the issue of around Bose's decision to provide functionality where it decides when a device turns itself on.

First of all, I have posted many times my basic opinion that in the world of machines as we have been for centuries, the basic assumption has always been that the user makes the decision whether the device is on or off.  If the switch is off, then the device should by design never turn itself on without the user involvement.  Imagine if your oven or car just turned itself on based on a decision which had nothing to do with you.  I will leave the privacy and security issues outside the scope of this discussion.  What has transpired in the last say 100 or so years are devices that have moved from binary switches to tertiary switches.  For example, if you want your car lights to decide for themselves when to turn on, there is an off, on and automatic mode and you choose the later.  That is what Bose should have designed in ALL its bluetooth products - a third toggle.  I wish it had and maybe some day they will understand basic machine design 🙂

In the meantime, there is a standard out there called Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) which first appeared with the Bluetooth 4.0 standard in 2010 which effectively allows devices to stay on all the time without burning a lot of power.  BLE speed was significantly increased with Bluetooth 5.0 last year but only the newer devices like the iphone 8 and X support it.  My phone and USB dongles all support BT 4.0. Read more about it in wikipedia.  Now not all the Bose devices support BLE - some like the QC35ii and Soundsport Wired support it only when they are on, some like the Revolve (and I'm guessing the Soundlink Micro) support it when they are on or off, and some like the Soundlink Mini don't support it at all.  There are various apps you can put on your phone that will allow you to tell which devices currently are emitting BLE signals - I use "BLE Finder" and "BLE Scanner" on my iphone. And BTW, I tested the Revolve's and putting it in AUX has no impact on the signal on or off.

So if the device is say off but still in low power mode emitting a BLE signal, the Bose people / programmers have to make a decision what to do with that from a functional point of view.  What they have decided to do in terms of functionality apparantly (I use this term somewhat lightly 🙂 ) does not always agree with what we feel the device should do.  Again, my "view/position" is in a binary switch world - off means off and unless I specify through a switch or an option as to how a Bose device behaves when off, then it should never do anything.  But that is not how the real Bose bluetooth world is today.

In some cases, the decision is somewhat benign and could actually be useful.  For example, if I want to put a Revolve into party mode, I can go into the Bose Connect app and turn on the first speaker with the app by dragging (which is the same functionality as hitting the on button) and then pick party mode and drag the second speaker and it will also turn on.  But here dragging is equivalent to hitting the on button.

Now it gets a bit murkey .... if I turn on my Windows laptop, and it's paired to a Bose Revolve - then the Revolve turns itself on.  I am not sure I agree with that but that is a 'minor' inconvenience since I hear the Revolve turning on and I just turn it off.

Now comes the 'I don't ever want that to happen' stuff.

1. I don't have a Soundlink Micro but I would hope that there is a way to turn it off and keep it off.  It does not sound like that is the case here and if so, it has got to be frustrating if speaker decides to stay on if it sees another paired device that is on.  Because that means the only way to turn it off is to unpair.
2. And then there are Bose devices that randomly turn themselves on.  Those of us here who see that happen are hoping primarily that it is a hardware issue (a bunch of people in the other group are suggesting that the random turning on and battery drain of the QC35i's is due to bad contacts on a on/off switch.  We would hope that is the case and that it is not a BLE implementation/bug which would then require a firmware fix.  I had a QC35i that was randomly turning on all the time and eventually was able to convince Bose support to exchange it for a QC 35ii which has never turned on.  Others have not been as fortunate and are only offered discounts for exchanges. However, I have also seen my Soundsport wired randomly turn on and strangely it does not emit a BLE signal when off as far as I can tell.

So for me the bottom line at this point would to suggest:

1. For current devices - upgrade all the firmware so their are virtual on/off/automatic states.  In automatic, the user can define what the scenario should be that will cause it to turn on.  Off would mean ALWAYS off.

2. For future devices - have a three switch/position toggle - OFF, ON, AUTOMATIC

Ohitsjosh7
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 28, 2018

@Tony_G 

Were you and your team ever able to find a resolution to this? I am of the same opinion as the OP in that I would love it if my speaker didn't automatically turn on every time I opened my laptop. 

We are approaching 10 months since you mentioned that Engineering is aware of this flaw. 

Thanks is advance!