joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: How to switch off my SoundLink Micro Bluetooth® speaker

@fsound 

please see: https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable/Soundlink-Revolve-Randomly-Turning-On/m-p/109914#M4618 elsewhere in this forum

I do not work for Bose nor am I defending them here but here is my suggestion and opinion

1. The on/off switch toggles from on to BLE mode.  This enables it to be awoken by external software and hardware such as Bose Connect to put the Revolves into Party/Stereo mode.  Other third party devices can also turn it back on from this mode.  Bose did this intentionally.  We can call it what we want, but I personally doubt they have any intention of changing or ridding the devices of this BLE mode.  They may have thought about the ramifications and impacts during the design phase of this mode but clearly imho did not take into account all of the customers who have no interest in BLE mode at all.

2. While not optimal, there is currently a documented way here in the various related threads to totally turn off the Revolve/Revolve+ - while in the on state, hold down the multifunction key until the lights flash and then let go and it will be TOTALLY off.  You will need to do this every time you want it totally off.  Once off this way, you may have to hit the on/off switch a couple of times to turn it on.  There could also be side effects, for example, for me, holding down the multifunction key will start Siri on my phone before the Revolve turns off.

3. I have called and talked to senior people at Bose about this problem and made the suggestion that they implement an "option" which can be invoked/changed through Bose Connect for a user to decide and define which OFF mode state they want - BLE (the current one) or totally OFF (the one described in #2).  I have no idea if they will consider that or not for implementation.

esmatz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 1, 2019

Zoe? Oh Zoe?  Is the Bose engineering team hearing us?

My Microlink just turned itself on again in a presentation.   What an embarrassment!   If I want to avoid this, I have to have my Microlink taken out and in my hand when I power on my laptop, so that I can quickly switch the speaker off immediately when it turns itself on and before it starts talking!  THIS IS PURELY STUPID.   YOUR ENGINEERS HAVE NOT JUSTIFIED THIS YET, AND WE ARE WAITING!!!  It can't be difficult to program this as an OPTION for the speaker to automatically turn on.

YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CUSTOMER BASE OVER THIS.  I tell people about this, and they laugh and say they won't purchase the Microlink if it causes this embarrassment.

WAITING TO HEAR AN INTELLIGENT RESPONSE/JUSTIFICATION!!!!! 

Shall I ask Jamie Condliffe, Steve Lohr, Kevin Roose or other editors in the Technology department at the New York Times to write about this and give Times' readers a good laugh?   I'll do it!

esmatz 

Hello Esmatz, 

Thank you for reaching back out. I understand your frustrations and am very sorry for any inconvinience caused by this feature. We have passed your comments onto the development team and are awaiting feedback from them. 

If this feature is ever changed in the future we will make sure to post on this thread with the updates. 

I am sorry that I do not have more information at this time. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

esmatz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 1, 2019

OK.  Thanks for the response.  I am going to contact the Times.  Also, Marta Tellado, the CEO of Consumer Reports, is a neighbor of mine.  CR will get a good laugh out of this as well, and will maybe print something about it in their magazine.

niekdev
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Last week I purchased the Micro and am having the same issue, it's absurd really.

I've found a solution for this (for Android) after some tinkering around. This weekend I'll check if I can make an app which'll make the following steps a bit easier and quicker.

Here's the workaround:

1. Switch on BT on your (Android) device and let it connect to your speaker.
  2. Go to your BT settings and open the Micro settings (so through your decice, not the Bose Connect app)
  3. Turn off the "Media audio" profile

And you're done! Your speaker will only get woken up if your Media Audio profile is switched on. This means that if you want to use your speaker you'll have to go into these settings again and toggle the switch back on, your speaker will wake up instantly.

esmatz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 1, 2019

Thank you, niekdev.

But I, like many people, have a Windows 10 system.  

And...  What a pain!  Why shouldn't Bose make the simple fix to make the auto-turn-on an option?!

Han Boming
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Hello Bose?

Are you going to leave this unresolved?

When I use my computer to connect, the Micro overrides any other speakers. It steals the connection even from another room.

Please let us turn the speaker off!

Amir

fsound
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 28, 2019

another problem related to this BUG is that the battery goes down much faster since the device is not completely switched off and has the bluetooth always active.

esmatz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 1, 2019

Hello Vicky W???!!!  Hello Bose Customer Service???!!!  Is anyody listening?

So many customers are complaining about this, and it wouldbe such an easy software fix.   Why is no one doing anything??? 

Hello!!!!!!!!!! 

Highlighted
HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

The SoundLink Revolve and Revolve+ have a new update since August 21st 2019, but not the other SoundLinks (yet). We had to wait more than 1.5 years for this update and still it is working for only a bunch of customers ...

HermannS