Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 21, 2020

Interference when using 3.5 MM jack and USB-C cable together

I have just purchased a Soundlink Mini II to connect to my desktop to play music while using the 3.5 mm jack. My desktop does not have bluetooth. I am working from home and my issue is that when both the USB-C and 3.5 mm jack are connected to the Soundlink there is a lot of interference - buzzing sound from the speaker which makes the music completely inaudible. I have moved the unit from electrical sources, turned the volume low, tried another device and cables but the buzzing / interference persists and sound quality is very poor. The Soundlink works okay when the USB-C cable is not connected but the buzzing starts as soon as I plug the cable to charge the unit. I am disappointed because the cheap Creative unit I bought this to replace works a 100 times better. Can someone help how I overcome this or I will need to return the unit as it is useless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Interference when using 3.5 MM jack and USB-C cable together

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi Aspi,

When you have been using the Soundlink Mini, you have mentioned moving it away from power sources, but do any wires cross over the 3.5mm audio cable you are using? If so these cables, especially if they are power cables could be causing this issue. This would include the USB cable that you have plugged into the speaker. 

If it still does this with no cables crossing the audio cable, the next thing to do would be to reset your speaker. To do this you would want to:

• Power on your product.
  • Press and hold the Power button for ten seconds until the product powers off.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Hi Aspi, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. Can you tell me if you have experienced this issue with a different source device? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 21, 2020

Thank you for responding. As I mentioned in my earlier text I have never experienced this interference on the Creative speaker which I used for a number of years. I have now taken the Bose out and put my old Creative unit back. No problems.

I have tried everything suggested on the web and before removing the Bose Soundlink Mini, I moved it as far away from all the electrical sources on the desk. This made the unit inaccessible and also the buzzing reduced but was still prominent so much so that it was not enjoyable.

Unless there is an improvement I feel it is a waste of money.

Aspi

Highlighted

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi Aspi,

When you have been using the Soundlink Mini, you have mentioned moving it away from power sources, but do any wires cross over the 3.5mm audio cable you are using? If so these cables, especially if they are power cables could be causing this issue. This would include the USB cable that you have plugged into the speaker. 

If it still does this with no cables crossing the audio cable, the next thing to do would be to reset your speaker. To do this you would want to:

• Power on your product.
  • Press and hold the Power button for ten seconds until the product powers off.

Let me know how you get on!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 21, 2020

Hi

Thank you. Tried as you suggested. Set up a separate extension lead and plugged it in. All now works fine. I can get used to the layout as the speaker is not where I first envisaged it to be sitting.

But Thank you again. Hopefully now I can enjoy the crisp clear bass tones as advertised.

Be safe

Aspi