Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

My Bose Bluetooth speaker opens automatically when I turn on Windows PC. How to disable?

My Soundlink micro opens automatically when I turn on Windows PC. How can I disable it? Because most of the time I don't want to use Bluetooth speaker.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: My Bose Bluetooth speaker opens automatically when I turn on Windows PC. How to disable?

Hello fvolcano, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. 

This is due to a feature called Bluetooth Low Energy, which will power on your speaker when a paired device becomes available. This isn't something that can be turned off as it is a Bluetooth setting built into the speaker. 

If you have any other questions, please do let us know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 21, 2020

Re: My Bose Bluetooth speaker opens automatically when I turn on Windows PC. How to disable?

This is a nice feature, but what would make it better is to allow users to turn it off when it is not wanted, like they are allowed to do with the Auto-Off feature.  As we know, SoundLink Micro is a portable device, as are many Bluetooth devices (e.g. smart phone, Windows Laptop PC).  As such, they are sometimes not in the same location.  For instance, I often move my laptop PC from the downstairs kitchen to my upstairs office.  I use the SoundLink primarily in the kitchen, and in the office I do not.  If I turn the SoundLink off in the kitchen when I'm through using it and take my laptop to my upstairs office to work (restarting my laptop in the interim; often there's a significant time lapse between when my laptop is in the kitchen and when I use it in the office), I do not want to have to go back downstairs to the kitchen to turn the SoundLink off again so that I may hear sound from my laptop speakers.  To avoid this, I've taken to bringing the SoundLink upstairs to the office so that I can shut if off when I turn my laptop back on (of course, at this point I sometimes leave it on; might as well, right?  Perhaps this is what Bose wants?).  It seems to me that this situation defeats the portability feature by forcing me to carry the SoundLink along with the laptop wherever I go in the house in order to control the sound output from my Laptop.  When I turn an electronic device off, it should be off, not secretly remain on.  I was totally unaware of this feature after over one year of ownership, and only learned of it after spending this time trying to troubleshoot what I perceived to be a problem. 

Thank you for an otherwise enjoyable product.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 12, 2020

> This is due to a feature called Bluetooth Low Energy, which will power on your speaker
> when a paired device becomes available. This isn't something that can be turned off
> as it is a Bluetooth setting built into the speaker. 

Dear Bose

Are you aware that this feature has enormous security implications?
If I am correct, what you are now saying is that we users do not have the right to turn off our Bose Bluetooth speakers. But these "speakers" also come with a built-in microphone, too! If so that means that at any point we can't be 100% sure that we users aren't being listened to!

What is equally irritating is that if you (like me) like to have voice instructions left on so that you know what is going on... and so that you are reminded to turn the device off if left on by mistake, so as to save batteries etc... ==> Now suddenly every single time I boot my laptop the speakers start talking to me and the device comes to life. Can you see how irritating that is?

Please can you provide us a 100% guaranteed way of not being spied on. 

e.g. If there is absolutely no way to turn the device off, is there any way to turn the microphone off permanently using the firmware?

J

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@fvolcanoI don't have a micro but a revolve - perhaps the same thing below is true for the micro....

On the Revolve like the micro, the top button is not really on/off, it's a toggle between full power and BLE mode just like you described.  But on the Revolve, if you hold down the multi-function button until all the lights blink, the Revolve really shuts off.  You can actually check that with any number of free BLE checking apps in the Apple/Google stores.

Perhaps the multifunction key held down works for the micro?  If not, shame...... 🙂

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 12, 2020

> Perhaps the multifunction key held down works for the micro?

Nope , I tried holding down the button but it has no effect.

I just don't want the speaker to be spying on me via the microphone.

This is appalling.

It turns out that this speaker was actually made TEN years ago (even though I have just bought it new from Bose via Amazon).  Are we really saying that Bose still hasn't given their customers the right to NOT be spied on?!

**bleep**?

J