aaronboone
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2019

Paper Weight - Windows says USB Device not recognized (SoundLink Micro Bluetooth® speaker)

I was having the "Power Button not responding" issue, as well as the "my speaker won't charge" issue. As part of the troubleshooting I was referred to the btu.bose.com solution.  When I plugged the speaker in to my Windows 10 Pro OS laptop via USB cable the SoundLink Micro actually emitted a 2 syllable beep/tone. But a Windows notification popped up, "USB Device not recognized - The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

Further investigating in Device Manager I found, "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

Now, for whatever reason, this attempt at connecting to Windows has made it so my speaker will now take a charge, it will power on, it will connect to my Android phone, and it will connect to the Bose Connect app.  This is absolutely fantastic.  It makes no sense, but it's great. The speaker is [back to being] a paper weight.

HOWEVER... my speaker still cannot connect to the Bluetooth update site, because Windows cannot recognize the device.  I have attempted searching for Windows drivers to no avail.  

Is there a manual firmware flashing utility available?  Since the Device Descriptor Request Failed, automated solutions will not work.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Paper Weight - Windows says USB Device not recognized (SoundLink Micro Bluetooth® speaker)

Hi Aaronboone, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. I am sorry to see that you are having some issues with your SoundLink Micro speaker and would love to assist you further with this. 

I appreciate you making us aware of the steps that you have attempted and the issues that you have found. 

Firstly, can you please attempt to perform the update via another computer? Can you please also let us know if you see any LED's on the system at all? The LED on the far right is the Bluetooth LED and will be a solid white if connected to any device. 

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding this and look forward to hearing back from you. If anyone else in the community has experienced and resolved an issue like this please post your resolution in this thread. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
aaronboone
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2019

Re: Paper Weight - Windows says USB Device not recognized (SoundLink Micro Bluetooth® speaker)

From another computer we get same result. When we plugin the USB cable, the leftmost blue light comes on while the computer attempts to connect. The light goes out when the PC provides the Device not recognized error. 

Highlighted
aaronboone
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2019

I went to the Bose Store today. I was hoping they'd have a hardware flasher that could connect to the speaker to reflash the firmware. However, they only had the Windows based computer and btu.bose.com to work with. The device did not work on their computer either. 

went ahead and purchased a new one under the Defective Replacement deal. Not really happy with the outcome. I expect more than 20 months from a Bose product. But this time I made sure to buy 3 year protection from Square Trade.