Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

Poor quality sound using auxiliary connection

I usually connect my Bose Colourlink via bluetooth to my Samsung S8 and the sound is so good! I recently tried connecting via a 3.5mm stereo male to male plug using the phone's headphone socket. The sound is appalling. Is this to be expected because of the shortcomings of the phone?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Poor quality sound using auxiliary connection

Hey @bigpapanoodle, thanks for reaching out to the Bose Community!

Sorry to hear about the poor audio quality when using the AUX connection with your SoundLink Color.

The best way to test this would be by connecting an alternative device. Are you able to do this?

Let me know the outcome.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

Hi Charlotte

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I don't have another device to hand at the moment but first of all I would be grateful if you could confirm the correct plug that I should be using and what is the difference between the two.

Please see attached image

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2020

Hi Charlotte

I forgot to insert the image!Plugs.jpg

Highlighted

Hi bigpapanoodle,

Out of the two in the picture, I would recommend using the cable with the yellow casing.

The difference between the two is down to what information they can carry, the yellow cable is what's known as a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) connection and is typically used for stereo audio signals. The Tip is the left channel, the Ring is the right channel, and the Sleeve is the ground.

The black cable is a TRRS (Tip Ring Ring Sleeve) and the additional ring is usually used to allow the cable to carry information for a microphone as well as the stereo audio. As the microphone in the SoundLink speakers can only be used with a Bluetooth connection, you won't need this extra ring on the cable.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!