skalata
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

Portable Home Speaker - Airplay latency?

Hello:

My Portable Home speaker is not playing nice with other airplay devices when fed from my MacBook Pro:

I can play audio on all my other target devices simultaneously (HomePods) but the Bose Portable Home speaker is playing back with a delay when compared to my other speakers causing a very annoying echoing effect. This make the speaker unusable for me.

I've done a factory reset and confirm the firmware is there latest version. What's up with this?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Portable Home Speaker - Airplay latency?

Hi Skalata,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this delay and I would be happy to help with this.

it sounds like you have done some great troubleshooting already so thank you for trying that and letting us know.

What source have you been using on your MacBook when you get this delay? Does this change depending on what app/web service you are playing audio from?

When you are choosing which speakers are part of your Airplay group, does it make any difference to the behavior if you select the Portable Home Speaker as the first device you play to? 

As the signal is being transmitted to your speakers over the Wi-Fi, it is possible that there is something in your network that could be causing this delay. The first thing I would recommend doing to investigate this would be rebooting your router, by disconnecting it from the power for 30 seconds, then reconnecting and testing again.

If you have a dual-band router, with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands available, I would also recommend making sure all your speakers are connected to the same band. You may need to give both bands separate SSIDs (names) to be able to do this. If you would like any help setting this up, you can contact your local support team and they will be able to help you with this. 

You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
skalata
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

I am streaming via AIRPLAY from the Apple Music app on my MacBook Pro. The music files are all local on my MacBook. The latency is there if I am streaming over the internet as well - internet radio etc, that sort of thing.

It makes no difference to the order of target devices selected, the Bose speaker lags about .3 seconds behind HomePod and Riva Audio Airplay speakers. It's annoying for sure.

Yes, router has been reset and the delay persists. Can you tell me how to force the Bose speaker to 2.4? I see via the App it is connected to 5 gHz and that would be the only thing I have not tried. 

I believe this to be a software bug and not a network issue. 

Highlighted

Hi skalata,

Thank you for providing that information.

If the Home Speaker is the only one of your speakers on the 5GHz band it is very possible that this is what is causing the delay. 

Do you have your two bands named the same, or separately? With most routers, when the bands are named the same, the router will decide which band to use. The only way to stop this is by renaming one of the bands. I would recommend renaming the 5GHz band, as then all your devices will remain connected to the 2.4GHz band. 

If you have the bands named separately already, you can change the speaker over to the other band by following the instructions HERE and treating it as if you are connecting to a new Wi-Fi network.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
skalata
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

Nope. Latency / Delay still there no matter which band is used.

Perhaps Bose can simulate and verify? Stream via Airplay from a MBP to the Bose Portable speaker. 

Turn on the speakers in the MBP AND the Bose speaker and listen to music playback.  You'll hear what I'm talking about.

Highlighted
Yumyumtime
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 9, 2020

I have a similar issue with my Bose Home Speaker 500. When using AirPlay from my computer or my iPhone the Home Speaker is very delayed compared to other devices (Apple TV, Airport Express, AVR wtih AirPlay).

Doesn't matter which speaker is selected first, what source or device is AirPlaying or what WiFi band is in use. The Bose speaker is always off by 2 - 3 seconds, although all other devices are in sync.

Highlighted
naaitsab
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

I get the same issue with my Portable Home Speaker -- i.e. it lags half a second or so behind other connected airplay devices during playback, which is annoying.

It is on the newest firmware. I am also streaming from iTunes on a Mac. The sequence of connecting devices does not matter. Restarts do not change anything.

One insight: in my system, the error occurs only when mixing airplay 1 and airplay 2 devices. It does not occur when all devices are airplay 2 compatible. So I am guessing that the Portable Home Speaker is laggy when there are other airplay 1 devices that are syncing with the same source.

Note that this problem does not occur with any of my other airplay 2 devices -- i.e. they stay synchronized when I mix them with airplay 1 devices. It occurs only with the portable home speaker. All other devices are then synced with one another, except for the portable home speaker.

@bose team: could you have a look at this please and get it fixed? I really like the speaker except for this one problem.