Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 27, 2020

Replacement Battery for Bose Portable Home Speaker

Looking to buy the Bose Portable Home Speaker but worried about what happens when the battery no longer holds a charge (sooner or later) and if I have any options to get a new one installed. It does not sound like it can be done by the owner but would require a Service Center to crack it open. Price might out way benefits.  

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Replacement Battery for Bose Portable Home Speaker

Hi Inigo, 

Thanks for reaching out, a great choice with the Bose Portable Home Speaker. 

Bose does not stock an available replacement battery, this is because this is inbuilt with a Lithium-ion battery and is non-removable. 

If in the unlikely case you face battery performance issues with your Portable Home Speaker, we do have great troubleshooting steps as well as service options if needed to help get your product up and running once more. 

If you have any further questions, do let us know. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

I own two Bose Soundtouch Portables 20, Series II. Bought them used a couple of years ago, because Bose does not make a Series III Soundtouch Portable. One of the ST20s has started misbehaving. Won't turn on sometimes, whether on battery or plugged in. Won't always recognize preset buttons on the speaker itself. 

I just did a factory reset & we'll see if that fixes the problem, but it got me to thinking that I might need a replacement battery. So I did a web search & found this: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Bose+SoundTouch+Portable+Speaker+Battery+Replacement/85144

Next, I went looking for a battery, & found one on Amazon that purports to be for this speaker & several other Bose speakers. So I thought I'd check that out with the Community before buying it. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XDWPJJN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A298PVMDNL4MGT&psc=1  

Replacement for Bose Soundlink 404600 404600 Soundlink 2 SoundLink 3 Soundlink II 330107 330105 359498 359495 330107A SoundTouch 20 330105A 404900 Battery

But now, I found this thread where the moderator says that the battery can't be replaced. And somewhere in my search I ran across something suggesting that the local Bose service people can replace it.

So what's the right story?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 15, 2017

Hello Tegan_M,

do you recommended to always plugin the speaker to the power plug when I do not need to use the speaker on Battery ?

Also what is the battery life ( how many charge cycles can it survive ?)

do you have battery replacement options ? 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 15, 2017

I understand that this speaker has a built in battery -What is the best method of using the Bose portable home speaker when it is not required to be used on battery power.

1. Should be speaker be charged to 100% battery capacity and used until the battery is completely drained ( like a Cell phone ?)

2. or can we always leave the speaker plugged into  a power supply and only unplug it when we need to use it on Battery power  ( will this method of using the speaker degrade the battery capacity or will lead the battery to die soon)

recommended to always plugin the speaker to the power plug when I do not need to use the speaker on Battery ?

Also what is the battery life ( how many charge cycles can it survive ?)

do you have battery replacement options ?

Highlighted

Hi All,

Thank you for posting and contributing to the discussion!

@hdow, this thread is discussing the battery on the Portable Home Speaker, rather than the SoundTouch Portable which is why the information here might not match that you have found before. We do not recommend replacing the battery in your speaker yourself, if you think your speaker does need a new battery you will want to reach out to your local support team. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

@applevny, you can leave the Portable Home Speaker connected to power when not using the battery, the lithium battery has a built-in auto-off feature when a full charge is reached to prevent the battery from being overcharged. Even while still plugged in, the battery level will have to drop below a certain point to trigger the charging again.

You can help prolong the life of the battery by following the steps below as well.

• Avoid prolonged direct sunlight and stay within the specified operating temperature range. Extreme temperatures can cause the product to enter protection mode. To exit this mode, connect the product to power
  • Avoid storing the product for more than six months without using it
  • To improve the accuracy of the remaining battery charge reading, fully discharge and then fully recharge the battery at least once per month

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!