Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 15, 2020

Revolve Battery at 90 Percent and Blinking LED

When powered on the Bose Revolve announces that the battery is at 90 percent and the battery LED keeps blinking.  This will randomly happen from time to time.  The Revolve has been charging over night and the app indicates that it is charging but the circle around the lightning bolt doesn't complete.  In the past others have indicated that a firmware update is available but this is not indicated on the app.  The app indicates Firmware Version: 3.0.4.  There has to be a better way to update the firmware or even know if it is up to date.  How does one remedy this issue?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Revolve Battery at 90 Percent and Blinking LED

Hey Mike1975,

I'm sorry to hear you've run into some trouble with charging and looking to update your speaker, but I'll be happy to assist. The latest firmware version released for the SoundLink Revolve is 3.0.4, so you should be up-to-date.

The battery LED will slowly flash amber when charging towards 100%, but not when the speaker isn't charging. Does this ever happen when the speaker isn't plugged in for charging? Also, how many hours do you think you get from the speaker after you charge it overnight?

What I'd recommend is to perform first a reset on the speaker, as shown HERE, to clear any underlying issues. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Mike1975This has happened to me four times so far - even on brand new units.  There is NOTHING WRONG with the batteries.  I do not know exactly what the cause is but it seems to me that it either has something to do with how the unit charges (it needs a 2 amp port which many monitor USBs and PCs USBs do not have since it draws around 1.45 amps) or a firmware bug or both.  Once it gets into this mode of the number not going up, you can not charge it more by switching the source.  In fact, the number may even go down while charging!

Bose is correct about resetting, but their approach may or may not work.  In fact, my solution sometimes has to be performed multiple times itself - so I can't guarantee but here it is:

1. Turn off for real by holding down the multifunction key until the lights blink.  Turn on with the top button - you may have to do it a couple of time and you may need to plug it in.

2. Turn off the unit from the top button

3. Turn on by holding down the top button to reset and then turn off.  If this whole process does not work, repeat #3 plugged in.

4. turn off and then turn on and wait for the english prompt. Do not respond.  Then plug in a charge.

5. Turn off, pick English and re-pair your units if it announces 100%.  If not 100% repeat the whole thing with or without the suggested changes above.  I once had to repeat 3 times.  But eventually all four problems were fixed this way.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 18, 2020

The red battery light on my Revolve speaker is also blinking.  I've updated the software, I have reset the speaker (doesn't appear to work) and the unit will not turn on.  I had this exact same issue with my previous Mini Soundlink which I replaced.  This is clearly a default with the product and I regret not reviewing this site prior to purchase.  I expected more from Bose, very disappointing.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Donna KaneIt has happened to me four times - the latest two times where on a brand new unit.  I would like to say it is a 'product defect', but I have other Revolves that have never had the problem and once I 'fix' the problem, it seems to charge fine (for a while at least).

My current 'opinion' is either:

1. The problem is caused by being charged by a connector which is rated below 2 amps (which can happen if you plug the cord into a computer USB or a monitor USB or a 1amp USB in a charger).  The revolve requires according to my measurments about 1.45amp to charge and/or

2. There is a problem in the firmware

In either case, if this happens to you - a reset based on what Bose says may not always work.  See my comments and processes in message 3 and follow it exactly.  Sometimes I get it to work the first time and sometimes I have to keep repeating it completely until it works but eventually it does.  My symptoms have always been charging getting stuck at 90% or even going down while charging.

Once it starts doing that, plugging it in two a 2amp source will not help - even the wall with a brick.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 2, 2020

Hi, Im having the exact same issue on my Revolve speaker and I've repeated your steps in Message 3 for at least 30 times unfortunately it doesn't work. I've tried the method of updating to the latest firmware manually on http://btu.bose.com with the ADV up down arrow (Advanced mode) but neither of them seem to be working. 

By any chance do you have any advice for me to fix this issue? Appreciate that. Thank you Joel. 

I am having the exact same issue, the battery just stopped charging at 90% even when I left it to charge overnight. Furthermore, I've tried all the methods available however it doesn't fix the issue. I've tried the factory reset steps as well as updating my firmware to the latest 3.0.4 manually. Also making sure the charger is connecting to the wall socket to receive enough charging power. 

This is almost like a brand new Revolver unit, only 2 weeks only. It used to work perfectly fine until yesterday. Since this is such a common system issue in Revolve speakers, Bose team should act on it as soon as possible to avoid future disappointments. 

Thank you and hope someone is able to help with this. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Jacob6079Not sure what else I can suggest.  I have had occasions where I have needed to repeat the process many times but for me at least, even when it got stuck at 90%, it would get eventually back to 100%.  Now Bose sent me two brand new units and the problem repeatedly happens on one but not the other.

If you have not already done so, when you do the process I have outlined, always charge with a brick plugged into an outlet - no other USB port option.  I personally believe something gets messed up in one of the settings and until Bose correct/accomodates for this issue in firmware, we will need to go through this reinitialization process.

Your only other option is to do an exchange, but as I said, I did that and one had the problem and one did not.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 2, 2020

Hi @joelirwin thank you so much for the quick response, may I ask did the problem persists after you “fixed” them? It’s a one time thing or it will still happen from time to time? 

Yes I’m charging it with a brick plugged all these whiles. I’ve contacted the local support team to ask for help since I’ve tried all the methods already. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Jacob6079I can not say for sure why this issue happens and I honestly have not tried to look for a pattern.  But I can say, I have not seen the issue for a couple of months now but I also have been quarantined at home since March and hence have not used it much for demo-ing (I am a film composer).

As for your question - once I get it to charge to 100%, it does occasionally dip to 90 or 80 without use which is perfectly normal for an battery to loose charge when not being used but I can recharge back to 100 without issues.

So the answer is, it has definitely not been a one time thing, but it hasn't happened recently for me at least.