Highlighted
KRuGGie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Revolve Plus sounds nothing like a "Bose"

Hello Bose enhusiasts!

I was using my Bose Revolve for 2 years and was supersatisfied with the quality of sound and everything. I was flirting with the "plus" for quite a while (it's not cheap to be honest) and then an oppurtunity came to sell my Revolve and with no hesitation ordered brand new Revolve+.

Surprisingly not so bigger as imagined but dissapointment came when I paired it with the same phone and played same Deezer playlists: less bass comparing to smaller Revolve and sound quality worse compared to his cheaper brother.

I’ve tried all sorts of settings, equalizer, different tracks, putting it on different surfaces. The old Revolve made excellent clear sound (quality & power) on ceramic floor when you put it in a corner about 0.5m from walls. Of course I've tried also with this one but it is a shadow from the first one.

I read some posts that firmware ruined the sound. When I unboxed it it had Version 1.5 but the sound was the same as now with updated 3.0.4.

I've got quite wide range of music genres that I like but Plus does not convince me with any. When I first played live acoustic version of Hotel California by Eagles, smaller Revolve blew my mind each time I played it meanwhile Plus leaves me indifferent.

I've heard quite a few Bose products and none dissapointed me like this one. I know Bose engineers can make super products and I hope there is just "a fine tuning thing" which will be solved with a new firmware on this Revolve+ to make it sound like Bose. If not, I’ve bought myself an average but very expensive bluetooth speaker.

Am I the only one experiencing this or maybe there is something that I'm missing?

2 REPLIES 2
seb101
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 3, 2019

Re: Revolve Plus sounds nothing like a "Bose"

I am in exactly the same boat as you.  I bought this speaker off the basis of reviews that said it was better than the standard Revolve and Bose's own claim that it is their 'best portable speaker'.  I am totally disappointed, actually very annoyed and it's knocked my trust in the Bose brand a lot. 

It sounded so bad out of the box I almost returned it to the store assuming it was faulty.  There was no bass at all and the highs were scratchy, like they had some poor digital compression artefacts.  However, it was on firmware version 1.5.0 - widely reported to have issues.   After using the connect app to update to 3.0.4 I have found a small improvement in the sound, less scratchy and with more focus on the bass. 

I will say however, that it is no where near as good as my 5 year old Sound Link Mini, which is disappointing as this is what I bought the Revolve Plus to replace.   The sound from the Revolve Plus is definitely more 'refined' and has more detail in the mids and highs however the bass is no where near as good as the Sound Link series, even the Mini.  The Mini - despite it's size - was able to fill a ROOM with bass, it amazed people when the found out where it was coming from.  The Revolve Plus has OK bass but it doesn't fill a room, it is very obviously a 'point source'. 

My go-to test track for speakers is Santigold - Disparate Youth.  An odd choice you might think but this track has a lot to test a speaker.  A complex bass line, starting with deep slow bass strings with a fast-paced percussion track layered on top, completed with synth strings and ranging vocals.  On a professional audio system you feel the bass strings through your body and then the punch of every single drumbeat in this track into your stomach, it's actually punishing to listen to.   The Sound Link Mini doesn't manage to get the drum punches because it doesn't have the precision, but it makes up for it with the super deep notes on the bass strings which just mesmerises you.  On the Revolve Plus this track is totally disappointing, the strings are not deep enough, you can't feel them at all, and while there is slightly better definition in the drumbeat you certainly don't feel it.  In fact it's almost like you're listening to it through a wall from another room. 

I'm going to give the speaker a few weeks to 'bed in' but if it doesn't improve I am likely going to return it as this is nothing like what Bose advertise - "Our Best Portable Speaker" - certainly it is not.  I am not sure how this device got such good reviews.  

seb101
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 3, 2019

Re: Revolve Plus sounds nothing like a "Bose"

I would add that this is especially frustrating as you can buy TWO Revolve speakers for the price of a Revolve+ right now, which would certainly provide better sound fill than a single Revolve Plus.