Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Setting up Google Assistant on Portable Speaker

I am in the USA and have been using Amazon Alexa on my portable speaker. Now want to try out google assistant. My portable speaker is otherwise setup fine. I am using an Apple iPad with Bose Music to configure my speaker.

Looking at the instructions on https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/adding-or-removing-google-assistant.html, step 4 says "Tap Settings > Voice Assistant and select the Google Assistant."

When I do that, I'm brought to the Apple App Store to get Google Assistant. I downloaded Google Assistant and logged in to it using my google account. 

Step 5 says "Follow the app instructions to link your Google account." 

OK. What's that about? First, which App should give me instructions? The Google Assistant App doesn't seem to know that it's supposed to give me instructions. When I go back to the Bose Music App, it doesn't have any instructions. Not being familiar with Google Assistant, I don't know how to ask it to give me the instructions and I don't know how to do this on my own.

Is there an "alternative step 5" that lets me somehow ask the app to give me the instructions or that lets me tell the app to setup the speaker?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Setting up Google Assistant on Portable Speaker

Hi AbqMichaelj,

Welcome to the community, sorry if you found these instructions confusing, I'd love to help.

Firstly, can you inform us if you have removed Alexa from your Portable Home Speaker? I ask this as only one voice assistant can be added to your device so It would not be possible to add Google Assistant whilst Alexa is enabled 😊

Do let us know!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Yes.

I did that per instructions I had found. Also, as I recall, the Bose Music App does not let me set up the second voice assistant choice until you disable the first one. 

Highlighted

Hi AbqMichaelJ,

You are correct that the Bose Music app will only have one active voice assistant, so you would need to disable Alexa to enable Google Assistant. When going through the setup process for Google assistant, it will open the Google Assistant app and will bring you to the screens below to get you started.

GA setup.JPG

If these screens aren't what you see when you start the setup process, what you will want to do is a reset of your speaker To reset the speaker, press and hold the Play/Pause button for ten seconds. The light ring will display pulsing white light on top and bottom as the speaker reboots and connects to a Wi-Fi network.

I would also recommend restarting your phone after resetting the speaker, and once both have turned back on fully, begin the setup for Google Assistant again.

Let me know how you get on!

New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Hmmm

I'm doing exactly as you describe. However, instead of bringing me to the Google App or giving me a chance to setup Google it brings me to the App Store. The App Store shows that I already have the Google app installed and lets me open it. When I get to the Google app, whatever directives Bose Music sent to it to put it in setup mode is gone and I get to that app's home screen. From there, I can't figure out how to connect it to the Bose app.

Perhaps there's a bug in Bose Music that's not making things work. As Bose is slow to update its app, I'm wondering if you have a work-around. 

Highlighted

Thank you for clarifying, AbqMichaelJ. Given that you've installed the Google Assistant app, your device should not be re-directing you towards the app store to proceed. What I'd recommend is to just reboot the device you're using for setup, to ensure the device knows the GA app is already installed and correctly navigates through the setup.

Alternatively, if possible, I'd try setting up the voice assistant using the Bose Music app on a separate device, to see if the issue persists. Let me know what you find!

New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!