Highlighted
N8Dawg
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

Re: Sound Link Mini Turns Off by itself

Hello, I have found the problem, at least, with my issue with the speaker turning off.  I’ve had it for at least 3 years and the problem began within the first year, always outside when trying to play it loud. I tried the reset, and never used the volume buttons on the speaker, only my phone, and didn’t have an issue for over a year, until today.  I cranked the volume up on the speaker, and sure enough, the trouble returned. I have since lowered the volume on the speaker, and will only use the maximum level the phone provides.  I’m thinking the speaker can be driven past  it’s “safe” level and simply shuts down before it gets damaged. Perhaps it’s just not built to be played at maximum volume......

Highlighted
Soni
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 4, 2019

Hi n8dawg

Yes, after blowing the battery contact which I removed using the torx screwdriver, I found the Bose unit stopped cutting out . However, on holiday it kept on cutting out. Then I placed it in the hotel bathroom with iPhone close by , it stopped cutting out. I tried later at home and again it cited out. I placed it in a drawer for a few months and attempted to use it again. I find it works when phone placed nearby . I think the Bose is cutting out when there are devices sending out their Bluetooth I’ds. In a solid room with the audio device nearby it works. I used it last night for a few hours . The fault I think is the Bluetooth component , it’s picking up other devices and then shutting out. I admit I am not technical but this is my guess. Also my battery only has two screw clips so I tie some elastic around it . The battery must be firmly connected to the unit. Try this, resets battery and use an air gun to clean contacts. Tie some rope or band around battery to unit and tighten. Test it in a room with thick walls . I had two iPhones in my room but I think the interference is coming from somewhere else . Lastly , if it doesn’t work don’t despAir , it’s just a speaker !!! 

Highlighted
KurtfromLaQuinta
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 9, 2019

Well I thought doing an update would work... except you can't update the "original" Sound Link. Thanks Bose.

I did clean the contacts and put a tiny dab of Dielectric Grease on them. It performed really well for a couple of days. Then went back to its routine of inconsistency.

It's too bad because it's a great sounding speaker when it does work.

And it sucks it cost so much and it doesn't work correctly.

I guess I need to find a quality replacement... not a Bose this time. 

Highlighted
DLaunder
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

I replaced the battery with one I bought on Amazon (I think I got the link here). The unit has been working as new ever since. 

Highlighted
Soni
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 4, 2019

Yes this seems like a good idea

Highlighted
N8Dawg
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

Hey DLaunder, how many hours playing time do you get with the new battery?