Highlighted
Psiax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

SoundLink Color Bluetooth® II: Difficult to connect,Can't reset, Can't use with "Bose Connect"

Have been using the SoundLink Color Bluetooth® II speaker for several years with no issues.

Recently began having dificulting connecting devices I typically use (two iPhones and an iPad).  Voice prompts say "Connected to XXXX" but sound won't come out of "XXXX" until you turn the iThing's bluetooth off & on, speaker off & on, etc.  In other words, keep "kicking" the gadgets until they work.  Eventually they do.

I have tried:

1. Using the Bose Connect app, thinking it may be easier to manage this visually.  But the speaker does not appear in the app.  Verified that the iThing does connect first...I can hear music.

2. Factory reset, i.e., turn speaker on, then hold down power button for 10 seconds.  Absolutely nothing happens.

3. Update the speaker.  Went to btu.bose.com, downloaded and ran the update but it said the speaker is up to date.    I presume this means "speaker was already up-to-date", not "just completed the process and speaker is now up-to-date", but there is no way to know.

4. Looking in the community, but I saw nothing that seems to fit the bill, other than try the factory reset which again does not work.

Suggestions appreciated.

Regards, Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Psiax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Re: SoundLink Color Bluetooth® II: Difficult to connect,Can't reset, Can't use with "Bose Conne

Author Accepted Answer selected by Psiax

I discovered and resolved the issue.

I now realize I have a Soundlink Color, not Soundlink Color II.  The "regular" one (not II) is not on the list of support devices for the Bose Connect app.  Resetting the "regular" one uses a different key sequence and I was successful at performing this.

Suggestion for the marketing team.  When a new product has truly different capabilities, use a truly different brand name.  If one searches for info on "SoundLink Color", much of the info pertains to SoundLink Color "II" not SoundLink "regular".  Or should I call it SoundLink ""?

Thank you for your help,

Joe

9 REPLIES 9

Re: SoundLink Color Bluetooth® II: Difficult to connect,Can't reset, Can't use with "Bose Connect"

Hello Psiax, 

Thank you for reaching out via the Bose Community. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your SoundLink Color II speaker.

It sounds like you have already performed the recommended troubleshooting, however, I would recommend trying the following:

Clear the pairing list:

- Turn the speaker on.

- Press and hold the Bluetooth button on the top of the speaker for around 10 seconds, until you hear a 'bleep bloop' sound (or voice prompt if your speaker supports prompts.)

The speaker will no longer remember any previous devices.

- Delete your speaker from the Bluetooth list* on your mobile device. All devices are cleared and the speaker will be ready to connect.

* On iOS, the Bluetooth list can be found via Settings > Bluetooth, then the speaker will have a ( i ) to the right of their name. You need to tap on this, then tap "Forget device."

* On Android, this is in a similar place, however, the ( i ) icon will be a cog icon.

Next, it is good practice to turn Bluetooth off, then back on to re-initiate a scan for available devices. You should see the speaker appear as a device you can connect to. 

I hope this works for you, however, if you still have issues I would kindly suggest reaching out to support in your country for further assistance and to discuss service.

Kind regards,

Jeff G - Community Support

Psiax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Re: SoundLink Color Bluetooth® II: Difficult to connect,Can't reset, Can't use with "Bose Conne

Jeff

Thank you for the quick reply.  Responses to your suggestions:

1. Clear the pairing list:

>> Can't do this as one of my issues is that when I hold the power button for 10 seconds, nothing happens.  No beeps, no lights, nothing.

2. Delete your speaker from the Bluetooth list* on your mobile device. All devices are cleared and the speaker will be ready to connect.

>> I followed this suggestion, using "Forget device" on my iPhone.  Still does not appear in the Bose Connect app.

3. It is good practice to turn Bluetooth off, then back on to re-initiate a scan for available devices. You should see the speaker appear as a device you can connect to.

>> Have done this as well.  Speaker still does not appear in the app.

If you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.  Meanwhile I will try contacting the support line.

Joe

Hi Psiax,

Thanks for updating us on this issue, I am so sorry to hear that this persists. 

Are you able to see the speaker in your devices Bluetooth list as an available device? Are you able to connect this way?

Does this also occur over your three devices? Can any of them see your speaker in the Bose Connect App or connect successfully by direct Bluetooth connection?

Please let us know! 

Tegan M 

Psiax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Tegan

I am able to see the speaker, connect, and play music with all 3 iThings.  Sometimes with difficulty as my original post describes.  But eventually I can always connect.  My reason to try the app is to see if I can connect more easily, manage the pairing list, and avoid the voice prompts.

Since your message, I also tried the Bose Connect app on the iPad and cannot see the speaker.  On the iPad I did try turning BT off and on, turning speaker off and on.  Kept trying but no luck.  Did not then try the other iPhone as it seems it would be a fool's errand at this point.

I find it very unusual that I cannot reset the device (power button 10 seconds).  My experience suggests that is a red flag for an underlying issue.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thank you for getting back to us regarding this and attempting this troubleshooting. 

I would next recommend that you try performing an update on your speaker. This can be done via a computer using a USB and visiting our firmware update website btu.bose.com

Please let us know if this provides any results for you. 

Many thanks,

Tegan M 

Psiax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Tegan

Have already attempted an update.  See original post.

Joe

Hi Psiax,

My apologies for re-advising you to perform this step. 

In this instance as you have attempted all the troubleshooting we would suggest, I would encourage you to contact your regions Bose product support team for further assistance.  Please follow this link, select your region and scroll down to "Contact Us". There you will find the appropriate contact information.

I apologise that we could not get this resolved for you via this platform but an agent will happily assist you further there. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

Psiax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by Psiax

I discovered and resolved the issue.

I now realize I have a Soundlink Color, not Soundlink Color II.  The "regular" one (not II) is not on the list of support devices for the Bose Connect app.  Resetting the "regular" one uses a different key sequence and I was successful at performing this.

Suggestion for the marketing team.  When a new product has truly different capabilities, use a truly different brand name.  If one searches for info on "SoundLink Color", much of the info pertains to SoundLink Color "II" not SoundLink "regular".  Or should I call it SoundLink ""?

Thank you for your help,

Joe

Hello Psiax,

Many thanks for getting back to us with your solution. 

You're correct, it is not possible to use the SoundLink Color I with the Bose Connect application. 

I appreciate your feedback regarding the confusion relating to the product name. I assume the naming convention was not altered as all of our products that sell under our Bluetooth (non-wifi) family are named SoundLink. I can understand the confusion, as there are speakers that were released before the Bose Connect app that are unfortunately just not compatible due to different protocols used with the Bluetooth chipsets.

Regardless, I will certainly feed this back to hopefully help make this clearer for all users. 

Thank you again for getting back to us with the solution, this helps us and other members of the community who may be searching for a similar answer.

Kind regards,

Jeff G