Highlighted
xox
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

SoundLink Mini II Incessant Beeping

NOTE: I am not sure why this thread https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable-Archive/Soundlink-mini-2-keeps-beeping-on-the-charger/td-p/12... was closed out, because the issue seems rather common amongst users.

I will preface my scenario below by saying that I have two (2) SoundLink Mini I's in the house as well, but they use a different type of charging head (rounded, cyndrical versus USB Micro) on both their docking cradles and the devices themselves--almost ten years going strong and no issues like this with them). While the SoundLink Mini II device is a definite upgrade to those in terms of accessibility and sound quality, the docking cradle has actually not done as well.

I am experiencing this issue noted in the thread above now, and it seems to be related to the docking cradle itself. I got rid of the flimsy standard manufacturer USB cable and instead replaced it with a high-grade, braided one awhile back with the same voltage and resistance specs as the stock one--just better build quality. I use it to connect to the Bose USB wall outlet dongle supplied as stock. The issue is not with the cable, however, but with the docking cradle, which seemingly has a PCB in it that needs an update in firmware or the device needs to channel power regulation better through it's own firmware update. I've checked to ensure that docking cradle contact points are touching the charging pads on the device correctly, and while one was slightly more depressed than the others (remedied with a nail pick to raise it back to the correct height), they're just fine. I removed the USB charging cable from the docking cradle and put it directly into the device as an initial troubleshooting step after checking the contacts. The charge cycling audio indicators no longer cycle on and off constantly--one beep, and it's obviously on charge/sustained power. I also did a hard reset via the power button to ensure it wasn't just a programmatic behavior based on the previous contact point issue with the depressed pin (a "limp mode" if you will), but no joy. Lastly, this device serves as a PC speaker since I need nothing more and is always connected via the 3.5mm cable as well to the PC for that transfer of sound (though I could do the same via Bluetooth, the sound is clearer with a hard line cable).

So, what to do about the faulty docking cradle is the question. I could do a teardown (I have the equipment to do this correctly) to see if something shorted, became disconnected, etc., but ideally if there is a replacement program through Bose for just the docking cradle, I would rather do that instead. Looking for inputs and/or any additional remedies I haven't yet tried.

5 REPLIES 5
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: SoundLink Mini II Incessant Beeping

@xox  (I do not work for Bose).  great sophisticated and long explanation of your issue.  However, I could not tell whether your problem occurs with all the USB charging cables or just the braided one.  Did you also have the problem with the original Bose USB cable?  I have had a Mini 2 for a year or two now and it is constantly charging in the cradle when not in use.  I have not experienced any of the issues you mentioned with my Mini 2 - it works fine and I use it regularly with my phone with my cable provider to watch TV during my cardio workouts.

So you may be correct that it could be a hardware issue specific to your cradle. Now again I do not work for Bose and they will undoubtable post a response here probably today.  You may want to let them know if your Mini 2 is still within warrantee.  I have many different Bose BT products and lurk in all the BT forums and they normally don't fix things.  If you are out of warrantee, you may still be able to exchange your product, but you they will likely ask for you to pay something for the exchange (unless you some way are able to talk them out of that).

xox
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

@joelirwin Thanks for the reply friend. I probably should have specified that I'd tried three (3) different cables to ensure it wasn't an issue with a cable itself--this was prior to the braided cable. So in short, no--it's either an issue with the docking cradle (most likely) or at worst an issue with the device itself (most unlikely).

I've had this SoundLink Mini II for several years now and hadn't had this issue up until about a month ago when it would randomly start doing it... but now it's just constantly doing it, so my estimation is that whatever has gone bad with it initially has only deteriorated over time. It's not something a surge would have caused either for several reasons ranging from proper cable spec feeding the docking cradle as well as it's plugged into a 1500VA APC UPS Pro https://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS-1500VA-Battery-SMT1500/dp/B002MZW5JU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=backup... for maximum protection of all electronics at this workstation in my home.

There may be a case for constant power draw depleting the effectiveness of resistors/capacitors over a long period of time, but that would be a manufacturer's design deficiency and not a consumer use deficiency by most standards. I sort of suspect that instead it has to do with the lower-quality contacts on the docking cradle, as they don't seem to be as strong as the previous SoundLink Mini I

Hello xox,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your SoundLink mini II. I would be more than happy to help you today, so I would recommend using the charging cradle from the speaker that is not emitting the beeping sound, this will enable us to eliminate either the charging cradle or the device as the cause.

Please let me know your findings!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support 

xox
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2019

@Zoe_C Thanks for reaching out. I've actually attempted to do that in the past to check for interoperability, but there is a hitch there.The older SoundLink Mini I docking cradles are two-pinned, while the new SoundLink Mini II docking cradles are four-pinned. Because of this, the latter will not charge on the former's docking cradle and vice versa. I've attached photographs here for a better explanation:

SoundLink Mini I - Docking Cradle.jpgSoundLink Mini I - Docking CradleSoundLink Mini II - Docking Cradle.jpgSoundLink Mini II - Docking Cradle

Community Manager

Hey xox,

Thanks for writing back to us and providing those images to clarify! It sounds like you've already done some great troubleshooting with the pins themselves on the cradle. 

While we don't recommend or encourage physically dissembling the charging cradle, it sounds like there may either be a physical fault with the cradle or the four-pin adapter on the base of your SoundLink Mini II speaker. Have you tried cleaning the 4-pin adapter on the bottom of your speaker?

The ascending/descending tones you're hearing are typical behavior to indicate that the speaker is being put on charge, then disconnected from charge, repeatedly and could be a fault with the charging cradle.

Within the USA, the charging cradle can be replaced and ordered as an accessory part. There may be a charge to this part, dependent upon the warranty status of your product. If you are currently within the USA, I encourage you to reach out to phone support to obtain this part.  Our phone number is 800-379-2073. Lines are open Monday-Friday, 9 AM-9 PM ET, and Saturday 9 AM-7 PM. Should you be located outside of the USA, please visit our global website HERE, select your region and use the "Contact Us" feature listed at the bottom of the page. 

Let us know how you get on!

Kindest,

Andy B