BB0
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

SoundLink Revolve Plus

Beware - I had my SoundLink Revolve Plus outside for a couple of days.  The unit worked great, until it rained one day.  It turns out that any moisture that comes in contact with the speaker will render it inoperable and void the warranty.  Something they don't tell you....  Don't use this speaker outside either during winter, or you are in a climate zone where it may rain during the day.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: SoundLink Revolve Plus

Hi BB0,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear about your speaker but I would be happy to clarify for you.

The SoundLink Revolve + is IPX4 rated, what this means is it protects from splashing water, no matter the direction. While it is water-resistant and does have protection from water, it is not designed to withstand continued exposure to water. Being outside in the rain for this long is above what the speaker is designed for.

I hope this information helps.

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
BB0
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

Thank you responding.  However, Bose advertisement does not point out that the unit should not be left outside when it could rain.  Also, the advertisement says clearly that it is intended for outdoor use.  I think you would agree that this is interpreted as being misleading and any reasonable person's part.

Highlighted

Hi there,

You are correct, the speaker is designed for outdoor use, but as mentioned before it is not rated to be left in the rain for a long time.

The full specifications for the speaker, including the IPX rating mentioned before, are available on our website to provide as much information as possible to you.

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
BB0
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

Hi, 

Thank you for the response.  However, IPX4 and Outdoor use are mutually exclusive in the pure sense of the applications, you realize.  Outdoor use would mean the unit would be exposed to the elements, even for a short period of time - which is the case of the unit I bought.  Also, what about dew point?  Web bulb temp or humidity thresholds - these are not mentioned in your advertisement, as these would cause water in liquid state to form on the unit.  Bose has set the terms of the warranty opposed to the use described in advertisement.  What your advertisement should say is outdoor suitable but do not expose to any water or rain.  Unfortunately, it does not have this statement.

See Bose response to similar issue:  https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2YPSFNBJT92BO/

Have a good day,
Brian
Highlighted
BB0
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

Also, you may want to read up on IPX4 ratings - here's what it says regarding a flashlight,

The designation of IPX4 means the flashlight is weatherproof. Weatherproof means the light has been tested to resist splashing water on all sides. The test duration is five minutes, with 10 liters of water splashing the light per minute (that's about 2.5 Gallons of water per minute), which is many orders of magnitude above a rain deluge for at 48 hours. An IPX4 designated flashlight will be protected against moisture, condensation, and exposure to the elements such as rain. Any flashlight which bears no harmful effect from the above test can be designated with the IPX4 weather resistant rating and use the ANSI Flashlight Standard Icon. Lights with this rating can’t be continuously submersed in water, but if water gets splashed on them or they come into contact with rain, they will be perfectly fine.

Our unit was exposed to rain over the span of a couple of hours intermittently.  I'm supposed to believe that the unit is fine and complies with IPX4 rating?  Again, I'm requesting a full refund or replacement of the unit.