cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micusek
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2021

Re: SoundLink Revolve and SoundLink Revolve Plus Firmware Update - 3.1.1 - February 16th

I really just logged in here to share my negative view on actually most of updates that Bose provided for Revolve+. Out of the box over 2 years ago this speaker was unrivalled compared to everything else in the shop, just crashed these JBLs and others in its price range, especially in terms of bass. That was enough to justify the difference in the price - but not after several updates (the one with party mode especially), each downgrading it that now friends' speakers are preferred over my R+ that cost me twice as theirs. It just looks like slow process of downgrading old model to introduce a new one, almost unchanged and probably sounding like old R+ firm new. Like it should sound still up to this day. I'm just highly disappointed by the fact I knew I was buying a bit overpriced product, but hoping it would remain competitive for years unless competitors can come up to it... but that was not required. 

Some will say that 1 customer lost is nothing - great, but just wanted to let you know what's Bose policy on products getting older, at least in this case. And if any moderator will suggest that no sound improvements should be introduced in any update then why not give people possibility to backup old firmware? 🙂 

Also, needless to say I guess, that was my last product from Bose so far. I can pay premium, but not get benefits of that taken away. 

bennietbose
Participant
Registered since

Mar 12, 2021

Re: SoundLink Revolve and SoundLink Revolve Plus Firmware Update - 3.1.1 - February 16th

When I read this topic I was a bit hesitant to update to 3.1.1. After I updated I spent half the morning listening to bass heavy songs.. And came to the conclusion it sounded less bassy. Base was not absent, just less in-your-face full base. HOWEVER - After I did both resets, the Revolve Plus is back to it's full sound & bass. So for me at least, the speaker performs just as well, after the reset that is.

My speaker is a Revolve Plus produced in Oct 2020. Steps I did:

1. Update from 3.0.4 to 3.1.1 via cable so not bluetooth

2. Decreased base / full sound

3. Soft and factory reset

4. --> Back to full and powerfull sound

Also I read the same pattern more or less in the fora about previous updates. Not sure why this keeps happening to people.

Hope this helps other people also!

mjfountain
Participant
Registered since

Mar 13, 2021

I updated the firmware - and my speaker just shut off.  It was fully charged, and now it won't come on.  Since it appears to be dead - I suppose now I'll have to pay another $75 to get it fixed (having had to just do the same thing a few months ago because the battery died).

I have been a lifelong customer - have bought numerous products and headphones - but that is over.  I have never had some many disparate issues with one of your products.  

The good news is that I will never have another issue and I will warn everyone I know to avoid this product when they are thinking about getting speakers.  You have lost a customer.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@mjfountain(I do not work for Bose)
This suggestion may not apply to you as well, but if it won't turn on after a firmware update, you may want to consider that batteries just don't suddenly die - they normally die gradually by not holding a charge or not charging fully.  I had two Revolves about 18 months ago, that both refused to charge fully and I sent them back and paid TWICE for new batteries and boards.  The units that came back developed the same problems and then I sent them back again and received two brand new units - one of which had to be sent back again with the same problem.

One of the issues could involve the way units are charged.  They need 1.55 amps to charge and so they HAVE to be charged on a 2 amp line (such as a 2 lightning bolt USB battery charger port).  If at any point you charge on a 1 amp line, you may develop an issue even if all the rest of charges are on 2 amp lines.

I am not 100% sure my issue(s) were about charging.  I am also suspecting the issue could be a problem/bug in the firmware and I described a very detailed procedure (slightly different from the one Bose says to do) elsewhere in this community that I was able to use 7 or 8 different times (sometimes had to perform it more than once) to reinitialize the unit back to it's factory setting and then I did the charging BEFORE answering the initial question about using English.

Now that procedure may or may not work for you especially if you can not power on at all, but if you get any way to try it, you have nothing to lose.  It might even work and save you the $75.  If it does not, at least be sensitive to the fact that I have found units with charging issues where the problem was NOT a battery needing replacement.  I can't say though if the problem is the charging method, the firmware, or something else, but I have my 'suspicions'.

pfregeau
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 22, 2016

Disappointed, I don't use my 2 revolvers anymore since the upgrade, sound like an old am radio, no bass at all. How can I roll back to the previous version?

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@pfregeau(I do not work for Bose)

1. Been lurking in multiple Bose communities for 2+ years and from my reading (except for one very short term special case), Bose has a policy of going only forward on firmware on any of its BT units.  Once you upgrade you can't go back.

2. I have two Revolve's on 3.1.1 and am not experiencing the same sound you are describing.  So it is not a 'global issue'.

3. Just to be 100% sure - listen to the sound in something else to make sure it sound correct on another output device.

4. Remove all you pairings to your Revolve from other devices.

5. Reinitialize you device using the procedure I described he under the flashing yellow light topic and charge to 100.

6. Go through the Bose web interface to update to 3.1.1 again.

7. If you are still have a problem, I can't think of anything else you can do other than to call Bose and request an exchange.

neiroc
Participant
Registered since

Mar 28, 2021

Hi,
It seems here everybody is talking about the issues raised after the firmware update, and thanks for that, but what about the improvements?  @Andy_B  can you tell something about the improvement to the phone call routing?
At the moment, i can only use the speaker connected with bt for normal calls. It's not working with other apps (what's app, viber, telegram, etc). Has the HSP profile implemented in this last release? Thanks

Jeff_G

Hello Neiroc, 

Thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues with calls on VOIP apps. General phone calls also operate via HSP/HFP, so there should be no issues between using the speaker for VOIP or phone calls. Have you tried using the speaker with other devices to check if there's a change in performance?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@neiroc 

I have not had any issues making outgoing and getting incoming calls on any of my Revolves for both  regular calls and voice over IP calls.  In fact, I just made a whatapp call from Texas to Ireland and used a Revolve for audio.

I do have one issue on outgoing calls (and voice over IP) which I have reported here regularly for the last 2+ years - this 'issue' holds true for ALL Bose BT speakers (it also happens on my Mini 2) but NOT headphones (such as my QC35ii and Soundsport) - when making a call the audio starts initially with the Bose speaker and then switches back to the iPhone (this could be an 'Apple issue').  I have to manually switch the audio back to the speaker - sometimes twice.

neiroc
Participant
Registered since

Mar 28, 2021

@joelirwinand @Jeff_G
Thanks for answering.
I tried to make the Bose Revolve speaker (firmware 3.0.4) works with two different devices, both running Android 9 and neither works. When starting a call with what's app, for instance, it switch back to the phone, even trying multiple times to switch on the bt again doesn't work. I don't want to go off-topic with this issue but i can upload a video if you need for troubleshooting.