Highlighted
mrzoiks
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 6, 2019

Soundlink Bluetooth III bluetooth stopped working properly

I've been using the Slundlink BT 3 speakers for a couple years now, on my macbook pro laptop and phones. Previously, it worked as expected, but one day most likely after a mac update it just stopped connecting reliably to the mac. 

I can still connect, but it always drops the connection on the first connect, I need to reconnect via the mac and/or turn on/off the speaker so it finds the mac again and connects. Sometimes, it also just drops the connection without warning. As you can imagine, this is quite annoying.

My phones still connect as usual without issue.

I don't think it's a hardware issue on the mac, because I switched laptops recently (still macbook pro, 2018 touchbar) and the same issue is there.

I have tried resetting the speakers and clearing the memory. I also tried to update the firmware but it doesn't even seem to recognize my speaker as connected to the mac. Any help?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Soundlink Bluetooth III bluetooth stopped working properly

Hi mrzoiks, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. I am sorry to hear that you are having connection issues with your speaker after using the latest Mac firmware and would love to assist you further. 

This is something that I have seen a few times on various Mac forums that after updating the laptop had issues pairing with Bluetooth devices. I would recommend that on the Bluetooth device, try turning Bluetooth off and then back on to start a new search for nearby Bluetooth speakers. If the speaker still doesn't appear, go to the Bluetooth settings of the device and search or scan for available speakers. Once the speaker appears in the list of available devices, select it. I understand that you already try a similar process but please attempt it this way.

In regards to updating the speaker this isn't something that is possible as this speaker doesn't have any software updates. I look forward to hearing back from you regarding the result of these steps provided above. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

mrzoiks
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 6, 2019

Hi Hector,

Thanks for the reply. I am able to connect to the speakers, but upon turning on the speakers and they connect after a few seconds it disconnects and I need to manually connect again via the macbook, usually after that it remains connected.

I've tried resetting BT, turning it on/off, forgetting it on the mac, resetting the BT speakers, none of that works. It'd be a good idea to remove the links to download updates on the speaker web page, it's quite misleading if there are no updates (and time consuming)...

I don't have this issue with any other BT device, nor do my phones have issues connecting to the speakers, however it is two separate macbooks that are having issues connecting.

Hello mrzoiks, 

Thanks for getting back to us! 

It may seem silly, but have you had the chance to restart your MacBook? Upon researching, I have seen this to be the fix for many different Bluetooth speakers acting in the same way. I understand that you are experiencing this on two MacBook's but it seems to have worked for the majority of other people.

Have you added anything to your home network at all recently? If so, please take a look at this post on the Apple Community where the possibilities of interference is discussed.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G