Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Soundlink Color II Does Not Allow for Phone Calls to be taken on speaker

I just bought and have been using my new Soundlink Color (Amazon model) for the last day. I really am enjoying it and find it a great speaker for the price. My one concern though has been when I try to make a phone call using the speaker.

Now I have two phones, an iPhone 6S and a Galaxy S6. On the iPhone there are no issues, I am able to make a call using the speaker and communicate with people on the other line using the speaker's microphone.

Unfortunately, on the Samsung Galaxy S6, when I try to make a phone call the speakers does the following: 

• It automatically ends the call and I get the message that the call was ended. 
  • It makes the call, but the sound is re-routed back to the phone's speakerphone. When I see the option to switch from phone to Bluetooth Speaker, it doesn't do anything, rather it re-routes the sound to the phone's ear speaker. 
  • Lastly, to confirm, when I try to make the phone call on the Galaxy, I am using just that phone with the speaker. 

I am a little dissapointed this is happening, am have tried to reset it, but it continues to do it.  

Another odd think is that the speaker's name sometimes changes from what I have it as to something like "LE - name I have given it." 

Anyhow, thanks for your time reading this and appreciate your help solving this! I'm so frustrated I may want to just return the speaker! 

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: Soundlink Color II Does Not Allow for Phone Calls to be taken on speaker

Hello EgonTerrier

Welcome to the Bose Community, thanks for taking the time to post. 

I am very sorry to hear you are having issues making calls with your SoundLink Color II on your Samsung Galaxy device. 

Another user posted recently suggesting they had issues making calls via Whatsapp so I actually did some tests today with the Color II and was able to successfully make calls on Whatsapp and via standard phone call so this issue may be specific to the device you are using the speaker with.

Can you please try to test the speaker with another phone to see if the issue persists and if you haven't already, update the firmware by visiting this link on a computer.

If anyone else is having similar issues, please feel free to join in the conversation. 

Kind regards,

Jeff G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Hi Jeff, 

Thanks for your response. 

I will test this week on another device as I'm getting a new Android phone. I saw your solution to the issue the user had with WhatsApp, but I saw that you tested with an iPhone. Possible to test with an Android device? My Galaxy 6 is running on Android Nougat. I will aim to have videos for my next reply after I have tested. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@EgonTerrier 

> It makes the call, but the sound is re-routed back to the phone's speakerphone. When I see the option to switch from phone to Bluetooth Speaker, it doesn't do anything, rather it re-routes the sound to the phone's ear speaker.

I have checked in on this topic in this forum at least twice in the last year and have called Bose multiple times on it and have never received any closure on it.  I have an iphone 7+ and two Revolves and not only does this happen with both of the revolves, but I have a soundlink mini 2 and it also happens with it.  In fact, I am guessing it happens with all the Bose BT speakers but works fine with all the Bose BT headphones (I have a QC35ii and a Soundsport wired).  When I dial and it is connected to the Revolve, it will switch back to the internal iPhone speaker, I then pick the Revolve and it switches back a second time but i can normally get it to stick to the Revolve on the third time.   I had thought this was an issue specific to the iphone 7 but you are now saying you have a Bose speaker and an Android and it is also happening to you.

Also, when I first bought the Revolve, I intended to use it as a speaker phone but I am constantly connected to callers who keep telling me I fade in and out.  I still have yet to determine if it the iphone, the revolve or my service (AT&T).

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Hello, 

I was able to test today and have concluded the following... 

With the new device (a ZTE Blade Max View, running Android Nougat 7.1.1) I still get the issue that it says "call ended" and re-routes the sound over to the phone's speakerphone or ear speaker. I tried again and again to switch to Bluetooth but it says call ended and then allows the call to continue.

You can see how this plays out here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1nN3nz670oaYfo0qx_qgkQVVUVkK0ulP6 

The videos above are with my Galaxy S6 running Nougat 7.0 and I was able to reproduce it on a new Galaxy S10e running Android 9.0 Pie as well. This issue seems to be an Android-only issue. I do not have this issue on my iPhone. It's concerning that the speaker repeats "call ended" when no such thing happens. This is really annoying as I like to use my Android device as my work phone and take meetings and calls from it. 

Look forward to your response!

Thanks for reading. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi @EgonTerrier,

Thanks for returning to us!

I would be happy to look into this and see if we can replicate and address this issue for you!

You should shortly receive a PM from the Community Admin account asking for some further information here, so please follow up when you can!

Liam W

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2020

Good afternoon,

i just bought the Soundlink Color 2 and I’m facing the exact same problems with : iPhone, IPad and Samsung A40.

It is VERY disappointing. 

Have you finally found a solution?

I’m about to send it back, the device is losing 50% of its interest.

kind regards.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 14, 2020

Re: Soundlink Color II Does Not Allow for Phone Calls to be taken or made on speaker

Just unboxed tonight. Easily connected and played music. 

Using the Sound lInk II for making or receiving calls is not working. I have a Galaxy S9. I have downloaded the Bose app on my phone, checked my Bluetooth connection to make sure calls are enabled, and have the latest firmware for the Soundlink. 

This purchase was made specifically for its capability to receive and make calls. 

Please provide a solution. 

Highlighted

Re: Soundlink Color II Does Not Allow for Phone Calls to be taken or made on speaker

Hello JG76, 

We are sorry that the calls feature does not appear to be working properly. 

Thanks for already trying the recommended troubleshooting provided in this thread. What exactly do you experience when you attempt to take or make a call on your speaker?

Do ensure that you are following the instructions provided in the user manual which can be found here. You can view these on page 13.

Do let us know how you get on.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 14, 2020

Good morning Tegan

I did follow the instructions on page 13 and 14 of the user manual regarding using voice control to make a call. 

The call will connect on my phone but the speaker does not produce any sound. It only comes out of the ear piece on my phone.