Highlighted
Louiscar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Soundlink II color turning on without consent! Bose ignores complaints after imposing stupid feature

The other day the Bose Connect app decided to force a firmware update without my knowledge and suddenly I was thrown into a nightmare.

Imagine this: 2 of my Echo dot devices stop responding to me however, when I speak the light turns on. This had me trying all sorts of things and even wondering if I should send them back. Then I discover that they actually connected to the Bose Speaker which was out of earshot in another room.

This can't be I thought - everytime I turn on one of the many devices that is paired to this speaker it turns on despite that fact that I have turned the speaker OFF!!

What madness is this? A search turns up that this is actually an intentional feature! What idiot thought this was a GOOD IDEA? What idiot dares to override the owners wish to keep the speaker OFF?? What idiot ignores the many complaints now floating around for not only this version but the revolve and other speakers which in their wisdom decided to implement this mass stupidity? What idiot would implement such a feature without providing a warning or documentation outlining the change in behaviour?

What would be a good reason for this? What would be a good reason for not only imposing this inept software code on people but to do so without providing a toggle to stop it happening. THERE IS A REASON FOR AN OFF BUTTON ... IN CASE BOSE HASN'T REALISED, IT IS SO THAT WE CAN TURN SOMETHING OFF!! And it isn't for Bose to tell US, who are the OWNERS of this device (yes we paid outright to buy this expensive speaker), that we didn't really mean to turn it off.

What possible good reason could there be for Bose to ignore complaints which span more than a year  without providing a solution either in a future  firmware update or a sensible means of downgrading the firmware to a less buggy one. Yes this is a BUG which they choose to call a feature!

All I've seen here and in the archive are empty promises to let the devs know who continue to ignore those that find this a complete and utter nightmare!

https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable-Archive/Soundlink-Color-II-auto-powers-on-after-latest-sofwar...

I will never buy another Bose speaker all the tiime Bose see fit to continue this stupid policy of forcing features we don't need or want and depriving us of the choice .. and I apologise for the rant but I am extremely upset by the problems that this has given me.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Soundlink II color turning on without consent! Bose ignores complaints after imposing stupid ...

Hello Louiscar, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am so sorry that you are unhappy with this feature and I will feed this back to the development team. 

I do apologize but there is no way to disable this feature at this moment in time. 

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that you do not like this feature. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Soundlink II color turning on without consent! Bose ignores complaints after imposing stupid fea

> This can't be I thought - everytime I turn on one of the many devices that is paired to this speaker it turns on despite that fact that I have turned the speaker OFF!!

yes, I have two Revolve's (but the discussion here pertains to most Bose BT devices) and been following it here for over a year and checked in with my opinion many times.  Earlier on in the Bluetooth 4.x standard, the industry decided to implement a mode called Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).  You can read up on it in wikipedia but essentially when a BLE device is turned off it still emits on low power mode a signal that can be picked up by other BT devices.  You can check that out by installing a free BLE Scanning app on your smartphone.  On my iPhone I use a free app called "BLE Scanner".  It will show that the Revolve puts out a BLE signal when off.  Other Bose devices like the QC35ii headphones do not.  Some older Bose BT devices like my Mini 2 don't put out a BLE signal even when they are on.   In BLE mode there is a very limited number things that can happen but as you know one of the things is that another BT device can turn the Revolve on.  Bose initially used that feature with Bose Connect to allow that utility to turn on the Revolve for example when the device was being put into Party mode.  Unfortunately, as you know the revolve can be turned on other ways such as when another device gets which it is paired to turns on.  I am not sure it happens for every paired device because my Dell laptop with builtin BT hardware from Intel will turn on my Revolve but with a BT dongle, it will not.

Thing is, I don't know if Bose is going to change that behavior any time soon and I wish and stated here many times, they should at a minimum have an option in Bose Connect to allow you to determine if the toggle to OFF should go from ON to really OFF or ON to BLE.  Perhaps they will consider that.  And the reason they could, is because the Revolve actually has a REAL OFF state - it is just not associated with the ON/OFF toggle switch - go figure :).   As people have noted here many times in 2019, to turn off the Revolve for REAL, hold down the multifunction key (the bottom button) until all the lights blink.  Now it is really off and you will need to tap the on/off switch multiple times to turn it on.  Not the way I would want to see it, but it works.

Now I can not tell you as I have a different device if your device has a permanent off like the revolve, but you can check it out and let us know.

danbazil
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

Re: Soundlink II color turning on without consent! Bose ignores complaints after imposing stupid ...

I´m still waiting for a solution to this absurd feature (Auto-on or Always-on)! I have 2 soundlinks through out the house and they "talk" all the time!  Please fix that!!!

One already died with just over a year and was sent back, now lets see if it continues to piss me off all the time. Sorry for the language, but trust me, I´m holding myself back!

You turn the unit off and a few minutes later it says it´s paired with device S9 or what ever!

So I have to go in my phone and disable bluetooth and I shouldn´t have to do that!

If I turn the Soundlink it should off... period!  Got it Bose?

I just bought a HK Onyx 4... excellent!!!