Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 15, 2020

Soundlink Micro- USB port water proof

I just purchased the Soundlink Micro which is water proof/resistant. I noticed the usb connection on the speaker is exposed. There isn't a rubber cover/plug for this port to protect it from water entering. Should there be cover on it? Or will the usb port be OK if water gets in it?

Purchased in USA. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Soundlink Micro- USB port water proof

Author Accepted Answer selected by DaySUP

Hello DaySUP, 

Thanks for posting, great question!

Your speaker is waterproof and splash resistant, inclusive of the port. It is rated IPX7 and IPX4. You can immerse the speaker in water for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 3.2 ft. (1 m). It can also be used while showering and in the rain or snow.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by DaySUP

Hello DaySUP, 

Thanks for posting, great question!

Your speaker is waterproof and splash resistant, inclusive of the port. It is rated IPX7 and IPX4. You can immerse the speaker in water for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 3.2 ft. (1 m). It can also be used while showering and in the rain or snow.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Aloha from Hawaii,

I use my "waterproof" speaker while I paddle my OC-1 in the Pacific Ocean. I place it on the deck of my canoe, secured under the bungee cord net and attached with the silicone strap. I LOVE this speaker. It has amazing sound for a speaker of its size, which makes it perfect for sounds while paddling.

Here's what I HATE about this speaker: The charging port has proved unreliable after a certain amount of time  and it appears that the problem has to do with salt water contact to the port. I loved this speaker so much when I first got it that I recommended it to all my paddling buddies. Five friends purchased this speaker and three of them have experienced the same problem.

At some point, the speaker stops taking a charge. The speaker starts to act up, it might correct itself with some cord wiggling, but it eventually stops charging. This seems to happen JUST AFTER the warranty expires (of course). I personally have returned TWO of these speakers for replacement. The first time I was told to pay $75, which I did. The second time I threw a fit with customer support and got them down to $37.50, with the support tech not being able to assure me it might not happen again! My other friends had to also pay for replacements for their dead speakers. Same problem with all of us.

Here's the thing: All of us paddlers rinse our gear immediately after exiting the ocean. None of us submerge our speakers in the ocean unless we flip our canoe accidentally,  in which case we immediately right our boat and get back on. None of us have ever left our speakers floating in the water for ANY reason. We rinse everything in fresh water and dry/wipe things down because our gear is relatively expensive. It boggles my mind that such a killer speaker from such a reputable company has such an inherent design flaw. I don't know if it can be changed but DO NOT THINK this speaker will stand the test of time if you plan to enjoy it at the ocean. I will bet you will be paying a discounted price to have it replaced at some point.

Will I continue purchasing Bose products? Heck yeah, I have three other types of speakers from them plus an older radio from them. I am still a fan, I just want them to fix this problem or at least advertise this shortcoming.