Dazza76
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2021

Soundlink Mini 2 mic

Hi All. My trusty old Soundlink Mini's battery is finally starting to wear out so I was looking to replace it with the updated SL Mini. I notice that the updated version has a mic on it though for phone calls and such. Is there any way of turning the microphone off? I don't want any of the features it provides and would have preferred to just swap out my old "dumb" SL Mini for another one. Seems they're not an option anymore.

If there's no way of disabling the mic on the updated version then I'll look for alternatives. 

Thanks in advance for any answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam_F

Re: Soundlink Mini 2 mic

Author Accepted Answer selected by Dazza76

Hey Dazza76,

There's no such thing as a stupid question! When you connect your SoundLink Mini 2 to your device, it will be via Bluetooth so therefore, it will output audio from the music you're playing, and as it has HFP, also your call audio. This means that if you get a call on the device that you're listening to music in, the music will be paused and the call will take over.

However, in your phone settings, you may be able to adjust the default microphone that is chosen when you receive a call, so you can choose for the call to always use your phone microphone and not use the speaker if this is what you'd prefer. However, there is no outright way to mute or disable the microphone on the SoundLink Mini II speaker.

In case you need it, the full list of speakerphone controls is shown in the image below:

slm2controls.PNG

I hope this helps! If you have any other queries, do let us know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

This isn't a smart speaker where the microphone listens for keywords all the time.  It's not connected to the wifi or the internet so it can't "report" what you say back to anyone. It only activates if you are on a call, or if you hold down the multifunction button to activate your phones voice assistant, and both times it is operating through your phone.

If anything is listening to you it's your phone

Dazza76
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2021

Good point. If I'm streaming to it via my phone and a call comes through, would it inturrupt what I was listening to? It's probably a stupid question but I just want to check as more often than not, I'd prefer to ignore a call if I've put something on to listen to rather than it pausing what I was listening to so it prioritises the call.

Sam_F

Author Accepted Answer selected by Dazza76

Hey Dazza76,

There's no such thing as a stupid question! When you connect your SoundLink Mini 2 to your device, it will be via Bluetooth so therefore, it will output audio from the music you're playing, and as it has HFP, also your call audio. This means that if you get a call on the device that you're listening to music in, the music will be paused and the call will take over.

However, in your phone settings, you may be able to adjust the default microphone that is chosen when you receive a call, so you can choose for the call to always use your phone microphone and not use the speaker if this is what you'd prefer. However, there is no outright way to mute or disable the microphone on the SoundLink Mini II speaker.

In case you need it, the full list of speakerphone controls is shown in the image below:

slm2controls.PNG

I hope this helps! If you have any other queries, do let us know.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Dazza76
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2021

Thanks Sam.