Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

Soundlink Mini II has too much bass

Just purchased the Soundlink Mini II Limited edition and find the bass to way too strong compared to the rest of the spectrum.  Is there any firmware change or setting that will reduce the bass frequencies?  Every other Bose system I have heard has a good balance between high and low frequencies.  This is an pleasant surprise.  The problem exists whether linked to my iPhone, iPad or Win10 computer.  I have already Reset the speaker twice using the Multifunction button per the user manual.  Everything else is fine - clear highs, no rattling, and okay Bluetooth range.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Soundlink Mini II has too much bass

Hi AudioBob, 

Welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. I am very sorry to hear that you find the SoundLink Mini II Special Edition speaker has too much bass. 

Performing a reset was a good first step, I am sorry this provided no improvements. I'd love to offer some further troubleshooting. 

Although there is no equalization on your product. You can try adjusting equalization on your connected devices, if available. Something I would also suggest is moving the system away from a wall or corner, or placing the system on or near soft surfaces, this will help decrease the bass response. This is because the system's tone characteristics change depending on location and environment.

Please let us know if you find any success from this. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

Ok, I placed the speaker in a dozen different positions, including suspended in mid air, and the bass is still three times too loud compared to the rest of the frequencies.  I confirmed this using a pink noise audio generator and a 32 band spectrum analyzer.  The 12 db peak is at 100 Hz.  Is it possible that I have a faulty speaker? 

Highlighted

Hi AudioBob, 

Thanks for giving this troubleshooting a go, I am sorry to hear that this persists. 

At this point, I would suggest reaching out to your local support. You can reach out to your local support team via clicking this link and selecting your region, this will redirect you to our website. Please scroll to the bottom of the website and there you will find a 'Contact Us' tab, this will provide you with all the relevant contact information for your country. One of our agents here will be more than happy to assist you further with this matter. 

Do let us know if you have any further questions. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

Hi! I just received the same product (the special edition). Primarily, I want to use it to listen to podcasts and audiobooks from Audible. There is FAR too much bass -- I noticed this on two podcasts and one audiobook today, which included a variety of male and female voices in German and English.

iOS doesn't offer a system-wide EQ: I can adjust within the Music app but the settings won't apply to Downcast or Audible. Now, I could try to find an alternative podcast app that includes an EQ, but Audible simply doesn't have one, and is impossible to substitute. Please help - this is an expensive product and I am surprised not to find it with a moderate default balance setting or any way of adjusting it! Not all input devices and apps include equalizers, alas.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 17, 2020

AudioBob: I’m curious.  When you did your testing, did you happen to test to find out the lowest bass tone the system reproduces?  I’d be interested in hearing how your unit compares with mine.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 25, 2020

I have the same issue. It's way too much bass, in the 200-500hz range