eugeneviv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

Soundlink Revolve 3.0.4 update ruined sound quality

I just updated my Bose Soundlink Revolve to the new firmware and the sound is definetely changed. It sounds as if the code that controls the merging of the stereo to mono was changed. The bass also sounds off. It simply sounds unsettling to me and the speaker is now unpleasant to listen to. Being that the firmware jumped from 1.5.0 to 3.0.4, lots of code may have changed under the hood which contributed directly or indirectly to what is now poorer sound quality in some ways. It does not sound garbled, just sounds unsettling in some way. My caution would be not to update since now we can't revert to earlier firmwares.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
eugeneviv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

Re: Soundlink Revolve 3.0.4 update ruined sound quality

Author Accepted Answer selected by eugeneviv

Thanks dmcd6769 for figuring this out. It worked for me too!

I performed 3 ten-second holds of the multi-function button and, for good measure, a few ten-second holds of the power button. After this, the bass is back and sound overall seems better than before the update.

Info on both kinds of reset can be found here. https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/resetting-the-speaker-soundlink-revolve.html

103 REPLIES 103

Hi eugeneviv, 

Thanks for posting and reaching out to us today. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your speaker and would love to assist you further. 

Could you please attempt to perform a reset on the speaker via:

• Disconnect the power cord
  • Power on your product using battery power
  • Press and hold the Multi-function (•○•) button for 10 seconds until the product lights glow.

The speaker may need to be reset to fully install the software update, I would also recommend using different devices and streaming services to ensure that this is not the cause of the issue. 

I look forward to hearing back from you and if any other community members have also experienced this issue please do let us know. 

Kind Regards,

Hector B 

SuryaSagar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

Yes , even I upgraded my bose Revolve +sound link to 3.0.4 

And now I regret ... Bass is off 

Connectivity to previous devices are also slow 

I cannot enjoy the sound now 😭 

Please send me instructions to rollback to previous upgrade .

And I even tried the resetting steps but didn't work 

Please help 

Hello SuryaSagar, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing some problems with your SoundLink Revolve Bluetooth speaker. 

For your connectivity issues, I would recommend clearing the pairing list from the speaker. To do this, please hold the Bluetooth button for approximately 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared". Then please remove/forget the speaker from any devices that you have connected to. 

Regarding the issue you are detailing with the bass on the speaker, have you change anything about your setup? Sound characteristics change depending on the location and environment of the sound source. Moving the system closer to a wall or corner, or placing it on or near hard surfaces, increases bass response.

Additionally, you may be able to adjust the bass controls from the source you are using. Be sure to turn off both audio enhancements and special equalizer settings found on the source. 

Let me know how you get on with these steps.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Highlighted
Lyric7
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

I was half way downloading the new firmware when i became curious about what this update actually does because it was blank in the 'What's New'.. Lucky i checked online and saw this, so thank you for the heads up, really appreciate it. So i've cancelled the update. I'll let friends know who also have the Revolve not to update yet and follow this thread for updates!

eugeneviv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

Thanks everyone for your repiles. Hector, I tried following what you said and the sound quality did not revert. I think it sounds better and more focused in the midrange and treble but the bass sounds like it's in a box. Charlotte, the bass has much less warmth, resonance, and fullness. I'm learning to live with it but something definetely changed and it has nothing to do with speaker placement. I actually had to move it closer to the wall to make it sound fuller, but the overall bass quality is poorer now than it had been before.

States23
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

Hey,

How long does the software take to download for..?

Lyric7
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

I was on 4G and it was 15minutes and barely reached halfway.. i turned off the speaker though to break the connection as i didn't want to risk losing sound quality.

SuryaSagar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for the T-steps. I will clear the Bluetooth lists and update back with my observations ...

But there is a definite change in the sound quality ... I am using the way it is before .. I changed nothing from the source.    I tried on multiple devices but am still not getting the sounds that I love from the speaker that came before the update ... 

And I agree voice is much clear with this update ... But bass is very very terrible poor ...

And unfortunately I can't live with this update and new changes ...

Please help me to get back to previous version .. will it be possible if I visit the Bose service center to downgrade my frimware ... Please suggest ..

Thanks 

Surya 

SuryaSagar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

Hi Charlotte,

I tried clearing the Bluetooth connections by holding Bluetooth button for 10sec ... And it worked . Now I am able to connect to my paried devices very quick as it was before ..

Thanks for your Help on this .. But I am still unable to digest the truth that I am using my bose speaker with poor base sounds .. please suggest ...

Thanks 

Surya